Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4000

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Jeffq
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Jeffq Posted: Mon, Jan 25 2021 1:39 PM

Does anyone have any information on the transformer for the Beogram 4000, preferably where I can obtain one, either new or second hand, mine has gone open circuit which is unusual for a transformer.

Many thanks

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Jan 25 2021 3:10 PM

Hi,

I had to replace the transformer on my very first Beogram 4000 back in 2015. The original cannot be repaired due to the inside being filled with epoxy. Exact replacements of that type do not appear to be available. You can look for one from a donor Beogram 4000 but that isn't good because now there is another Beogram 4000 without a transformer. Then there is the worry that any original transformer for the BG4000 may eventually fail. I have heard that is occurring on more and more of these transformers.

For those reasons I decided to have a new transformer made. You can see the result on this post I made on Beoworld back in 2015.
Read through carefully because there was a compromise I made on mine. I am in the US so I needed the 110/130 voltage range for here. To save on size I had the toroid transformer designer leave off the 220 volt secondary winding. The Beogram 4000 uses that 220 volt secondary winding to operate the lamp for the strobe so I no longer had that. You will see on my Beoworld thread that I ended up using the 10 volt secondary and made a strobe lamp out of an LED assembly so I still had the strobe feature.

Someone else on the Beoworld Forum had a post about finding a source for a replacement, toroid type transformer in Europe.

The cost of having a transformer designed and built is a little pricey but well worth it in my opinion to get a Beogram 4000 working again.

-sonavor

Spassmaker
Top 500 Contributor
North Germany
Posts 223
Gold Member

Hi Jeff

Had a transformator which was running very hot on it´s owm without connected to the mainboard of the Beogram 4000.

Draw about 20 watts power.

Fotrunately I had to look into the Beogram and noticed the hot transformer, the recordplayer worked very good so far.

I bought a "new" used one from kosetrading in kopenhagen ( https://kosetrading.com)

Maybe has one more to sell.

Even there is no transformer online just ask him.

Another adress would be https://www.beoparts-shop.com, same as above

You have already checked the 2 fuses with an ohmmeter, not only with your eyes.

Often the thin fuse wire is still on it´s position but disconnected at the end of the fuse.

Another test would be to switch between 220 and 230 volt, sometimes the contacts in the voltageswitch get corroded.

If someone finds the post of the european toroid transformer please let us know, I think I´m not the only one who´s interested.

Best reggards

Christian

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS