Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5 resources future proof maintenance thread

rated by 0 users
This post has 81 Replies | 17 Followers

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG Posted: Fri, Apr 3 2015 10:50 AM

Dear Beoworlders,

as here are enough of us who take care of our lovely B&O items, repair them, maintain them to share the love for even >30 years old products, I think it is a good idea to dedicate a thread ONLY to the Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5 system.

My idea is that we share resources, hints, repairing tips, service tips, technical information, how-to's in one thread. That will make it easier to find and follow the information for us when needed.

As the Beomaster 5 is a Windows XP embedded based system it seems to be much trickier to keep it running considering stuff like dead mainboard, harddisks, closed Windows XP support etc.

So, you're welcome to add your stuff, links (Beoworld and external) etc. to make this useful for all of us.
I still like the design and haptics of the Beosound 5 even if it's not the post intuitive music system on this planet. ;-)

For example

- cloning Beomaster 5 HDD
- exchange motherboard
- successfully from HDD to SSD
- deal with the serial numbers
- softwareupdates
- tweaks

We had a thread like this for the old Beomedia 1 with a lots of tricks and instructions and I think it was a very good idea!

btw: Happy easter! Big Smile

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Fri, Apr 3 2015 11:37 AM
Agree.
riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Apr 4 2015 12:42 AM

Excellent idea. Here's a little info to get the ball rolling:-

My BM5 was supplied with a Western Digital WD10EURX 1TB hard disk which I have successfully replaced with the equivalent 2TB model (WD20EURX). I have packed the original drive away in a safe place and also saved a disk image on my NAS, both as an aid to any future recovery should the drive fail. I would suggest all owners should consider at least one of these options. I used clonezilla to clone the drives as it is much faster than a block by block copy of the entire disk as it understands the file systems and therefore does not need to copy unused space (this speed advantage would be less significant if your existing drive was almost full, but I cloned my disk before I copied my music onto the BM5).

I have also considered acquiring a replacement motherboard - my initial research indicated the following:-

• The motherboards is a VIA EPIA EX fitted with a 2GHz VIA C7 processor but retail versions of this motherboard came only in 1GZ and 1.5GHz guises so I assume the 2GHz version was built to order for B&O.
  • The processor is not socketed but rather soldered (BGA), so a change would not be straightforward although BGA chips can be changed with the right equipment and there are plenty of companies who can provide this service.
  • The serial number is stored in the BIOS and on the Hard Drive. Cloning the hard drive properly will copy the serial number to the new disk so this is not an issue but the serial number in the BIOS might be.
  • There is a B&O software tool that copies the serial number from the hard drive into the BIOS when replacing the motherboard but this is obviously only available to B&O service technicians.
  • A previous forum post suggested that the VIA BIOS software tool could be used to save the B&O specific BIOS but not the serial number data which is stored in a special protected area of the BIOS.
  • It was my intention to check whether the BIOS is socketed, and if so whether I could take a copy of the full BIOS, including the serial number data, using my EPROM programmer, but I haven't got around to doing so yet.

Martin

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sat, Apr 4 2015 10:06 AM

Hi,

here are two software solutions that require no separate hardware.

BeoSound 5 and AirPlay:
LINK TO THREAD

BeoSound 5 and Spotify Connect:
LINK TO THREAD (just scroll down a bit to read the instruction how to install)

A while ago Spotify announced that they are going to drop the support for Win XP at some point. So maybe this solution might not work in future and we will have to wait (or hope) until someone successfully reverse engineered the Connect protocol and programmed a little application like the shairport solution above.  

BR,
BeoMotion. 

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Apr 4 2015 11:17 AM

Enable Beosound 5 MLGW / Masterlink Gateway compatibility mode to pass Light & Control signals through Masterlink:

Access to ‘Service Menu’:

Access to the ‘Service Menu’ can be obtained in 2 ways,

either from BeoSound 5* screen or from BeoMaster 5** (TV screen).

Please use the following procedure for a smooth setup:

* BeoSound 5, ‘Service Menu’ access (when no TV is connected):

- Move the navigator arm to MODE

Normal 0 false false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

and use the wheel to highlight SETTINGS.

- On BeoSound 5 keyboard,

press: > < > < GO

to activate ‘Service Settings’

(Service Settings appears in left side of the screen,

Normal 0 false false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

containing new sub menus).

- Move the navigator arm to MAINTENANCE

and use the wheel to highlight SERVICE MENU

and press GO.

Now all active sources related to BeoSound 5

or BeoMaster 5 shuts down,

Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

and the ‘Service Menu’ appears on the screen

Service Menu:

When setting up BeoMaster 5 a USB PC keyboard and mouse must be used.

Select/Open the folder MLGW

Enable commands to MLGW (Master Link Gate Way):

- Will enable reroute of all LIGHT and CONTROL commands from remote to MLGW.

- It is recommended only to have one product in a room with this setting to enabled

- Three or more products in a room can cause fail on ML

Enable status to MLGW (Master Link Gate Way)

- Shall only be enabled if status to a control panels is needed

Both settings are default disabled

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

This is straight from the FAQ section on the B&O website but I thought it worth including here as it took me a little while to figure this out when spotify first became available with audio master set to NO.

How do operate BeoSound 5 in a system with another audio system using Beo4?

When BeoSound 5 is set up in a system with another audio system (that is when AUDIO MASTER is set to NO on BeoSound 5), you can activate following sources using your Beo4 remote control:

• N.Music
  • Spotify (provided that you have an account)
  • A.AUX

How to active a source with Beo4 ...

Source
Beo4, type 162x
(with GO button)

Beo4, type 171x
(with navigation button)

N.Music
  • Press LIST until N.MUSIC
    is shown in the Beo4 display.
  • Press GO.
  • Press LIST until N.MUSIC is shown in the Beo4 display.
  • Press the centre button.
Spotify
  • Press GO.
  • Press 1.
  • Press 1.
  • Press Play.
A.AUX
  • Press GO.
  • Press 2.
  • Press 2.
  • Press Play.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Also worth mentioning is that the CD ripper is just a USB CDROM drive in a fancy case, and as such pretty much any USB CDROM / CDRW / DVD etc drive plugged into the BM5 will be detected as a CD ripper and work in exactly the same way as the official B&O unit. I just bought a really cheap (<15GBP) slot loading drive which sits on top of my BM5 and then turned on the ripping functionality in the BS5 menus.

Admittedly I don't tend to use it much, as I prefer to rip my music on another machine in the format I want, but I've always felt the CD ripper somewhat spoils the aesthetics of the BS5 so having this hidden away with the BM5 is a better solution to me.

Martin.

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member

riverstyx:
pretty much any USB CDROM / CDRW / DVD etc drive plugged into the BM5 will be detected as a CD ripper and work in exactly the same way as the official B&O unit.

Unfortunately this is only the half truth. 
As you have mentioned almost every USB CD/DVD drive will work for ripping CDs.
What seams not to work with devices other than the original B&O one is the possibility to use it like a normal CD player.
At some point there was a software update that introduced this function.
Only with the ripping device you are able to see and use this source from menu.
It seams that the software is checking the VID/PID of the connected drive.

The ripping device shows this values:
USB 2.0-Hub: VID_05e3 PID_0608 REV_3298
USB mass storage: VID_13FD PID_0940 REV_0101  

As you can see the VID it is not the B&O one. Maybe there are "normal" drives out there with the same VID/PID that will work for both ripping and playing CDs. Worst case would be if it is checking the hub IDs, too.

riverstyx:
but I've always felt the CD ripper somewhat spoils the aesthetics of the BS5

totally agree

BR,
BeoMotion. 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

BeoMotion:
Unfortunately this is only the half truth. 
As you have mentioned almost every USB CD/DVD drive will work for ripping CDs.
What seams not to work with devices other than the original B&O one is the possibility to use it like a normal CD player.

Interesting, I did not know this. A quick google seems to indicate there are indeed standard drives and hubs around with the same VID/PID so it may be possible to obtain the correct drive and gain the CD playback functionality too, but I don't use mine for playing CDs as I use either my BS9000 or the DVD drive of the BV7-40mk3 for that as both are in the same room as my BS5.

Martin.

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Sun, Apr 5 2015 4:38 PM

If anybody stumples upon a cheap CD drive that shares the same VID/PID, then please post it here :)

BeoVision Eclipse 55, BeoPlay S8 (sub+rears), BeoPlay A9 MKII (living room), BeoVision Avant 32 DVD (retro gaming, basement), BeoLab 4000 (entertainment room, basement), BeoSound 8 (workshop), 2x BeoPlay S3 (PC), BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay H2/H3 (on the go)

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

BeoMotion:
USB mass storage: VID_13FD PID_0940 REV_0101  

According to the link below, that might point to an Asus SBW-06D2X-U:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/553907/external-bluray-unit-wont-mount

...but that isn't exactly cheap either. I suspect the VID/PID correspond to the bare Initio drive mech inside the Asus enclosure (and the ripping device), not to the entire unit.

--mika

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

tournedos:
I suspect the VID/PID correspond to the bare Initio drive mech inside the Asus enclosure (and the ripping device), not to the entire unit.

Yes, it's actually probable that the VID/PID refer to the USB to SATA bridge so the drive itself may be entirely different. I found several references to these hardware IDs, some of which were for DVD/RW and also the Bluray unit above.

It may be the USB VID/PID that is being checked or it may be the drive identifier so to be 100% certain of success you'd need the same drive, running the same firmware, on the same bridge, and possibly connected to the same USB hub.

Maybe someone who owns the official CD ripper might be prepared to the case to see what drive is actually inside?

Martin.

Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Fri, Apr 10 2015 12:06 PM

I can now confirm that the ASUS 06D2X-U blu-ray combo drive sort of works both for ripping AND for CD-playback. Sometimes you have to restart the BM5 for the CD playback to work. I am trying to fiddle with some of the options to see if I can get it to work 100%.

BeoVision Eclipse 55, BeoPlay S8 (sub+rears), BeoPlay A9 MKII (living room), BeoVision Avant 32 DVD (retro gaming, basement), BeoLab 4000 (entertainment room, basement), BeoSound 8 (workshop), 2x BeoPlay S3 (PC), BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay H2/H3 (on the go)

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sat, Apr 11 2015 2:10 PM

Beoberg:

I can now confirm that the ASUS 06D2X-U blu-ray combo drive sort of works both for ripping AND for CD-playback. Sometimes you have to restart the BM5 for the CD playback to work. I am trying to fiddle with some of the options to see if I can get it to work 100%.

Great! Thanks for reporting this.

Would be nice to know whether you can get it working perfectly. 

BeoMotion.

Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 1,059
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 5:51 PM

Very interesting thread ! Yes - thumbs up

I liked the CD ripping device concept, but thought it ruins the overall design of the beautiful BS5.

So, a CD player connected to the BM5 is a really good option.

One thing : What USB port are you using to connect the device (2 ports are available below the RJ45 port), and is there anything to do in the service menu or in Windows mode ?

Thanks.

talisman
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 54
Bronze Member
talisman replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 7:21 PM

Hi !

I have the B&O Beomaster 5 Service-tool. Is is on an copy protected USB Stick.

And you also need B&O Service tool MKII, to ad system img on beomaster 5 service-tool.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Apr 16 2015 8:21 AM

talisman:

Hi !

I have the B&O Beomaster 5 Service-tool. Is is on an copy protected USB Stick.

And you also need B&O Service tool MKII, to ad system img on beomaster 5 service-tool.

Wow! Now we need a local copy to archive and backup that software for future use!

Could you upload it somewhere for the forum?

talisman
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 54
Bronze Member
talisman replied on Thu, Apr 16 2015 11:18 AM

No !

B&O Beomaster 5 Service-tool. Is is on an copy protected USB Stick.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Apr 16 2015 11:24 AM

talisman:

No !

it's digital... so there IS always a way to make a backup of it. Wink
And this software could help to fix a damaged Beomaster 5 by yourself (new mainboard, serial-numbers of the hardware etc.)

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Apr 18 2015 10:19 PM

Anyone succeeded to add alac codec?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

talisman:

No !

Create a bootable stick and copy the files on it. Voilá. Whistle

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member

Today I had a look at the BeoSound 5 USB communication.
Quite easy and straightforward. 

Wrote a little program and hooked up the BeoSound 5 via USB and HDMI to a Raspberry Pi. 

Worked flawlessly including full button / lever / ring / volume-wheel support.
So if there comes a time when there are no spare parts for the BM5 available any longer this would be an alternative.
Just add a good DAC and maybe use XBMC with a highly modified UI.
Hopefully there will also be some open ML stuff in future. We are working on this in another thread...  

BR,
BeoMotion. 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, May 3 2015 12:43 AM

BeoMotion:

Wrote a little program and hooked up the BeoSound 5 via USB and HDMI to a Raspberry Pi. 

Good work - I've been meaning to do this myself  As a USB HID device, my guess was that the various controls would act in a similar manner to X / Y axes of a USB mouse, can you confirm whether this is the case?

Martin.

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
BeoMotion replied on Sun, May 3 2015 10:25 AM

riverstyx:
would act in a similar manner to X / Y axes of a USB mouse, can you confirm whether this is the case?

It is indeed detected as a HID device and there are some similarities to e.g. a mouse but it is not the same.

There is one EP (interrupt) and if you listen to it it will return an array with all values if something changes.  
It will give you two values with the click count of the both rotary wheels since the last read (counting from 0 if clockwise or from 256 if counter clockwise).
Then there are two identical absolute values from the lever, a value for the buttons and one that I don't know. This might be for IR since I forgot to test this. 

BR,
BeoMotion. 

geencar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
geencar replied on Sat, Sep 26 2015 3:17 AM

Hi,

I would like to follow the alternative thread as mentioned, where is it to be found?

Regards

Geert Veen

geencar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
geencar replied on Sat, Sep 26 2015 3:17 AM

Hi,

I would like to follow the alternative thread as mentioned, where is it to be found?

Regards

Geert Veen

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Nov 14 2015 6:09 AM

BeoMotion:

Worked flawlessly including full button / lever / ring / volume-wheel support.
So if there comes a time when there are no spare parts for the BM5 available any longer this would be an alternative.
Just add a good DAC and maybe use XBMC with a highly modified UI.
Hopefully there will also be some open ML stuff in future. We are working on this in another thread...  

BR,
BeoMotion. 

I don't know how I could have missed this. This indeed reads very exciting. Would this only work with a BS5 or also with the BS5E? If XBMC/Kodi could show the UI and then paly on my BV, this would be really cool!

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Nov 14 2015 10:09 AM

take notice that Microsoft stops support of XP embedded on 12 January 2016.

the new project should be Windows 7 or 8 embedded.

I had it almost working on a BM1 than I did something stupid and lost the B&o partition

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, Mar 29 2017 7:05 AM
As I'm a new owner of a preloved BS/BM5 , I'looking to get it future proof.

I'affraid reading that the mainboards seem to beak down.

Did anyone of you get new infos on :

- changing the mainboard,

- upgrading the OS to win 7, 8, 10.

- copying the BM5 service tool

let's reactivate this important threat!

Thank's
MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 270
Gold Member
MJBeo replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 10:38 PM

Also here to bump this thread.

Using the panel of the BS5 to control a raspberry pi would be awesome, I do not care at all about the BM5 as my BM5500 is rocking it.

Beosound 5 Encore + Beosystem 5500 + S45.2; BV7-40 MKV + BL7.1 + BL14.4+ AppleTV4; various link rooms with MCL2 A or MCL2 A/V + RL60.2 / CX100 / CX50 & Cona  / IWS2000; BG4000; Beosystem 1200 + BV1600.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 9:51 AM

riverstyx:

I checked the price of the motherboard a few years ago (out of curiosity) and if I recall correctly it was in the region of 400 to 500 GBP.

As Beobuddy mentioned, there are additional sockets on the stock Epia EX board although you should be able to desolder these (or perhaps even snip their legs off) to make the board fit.

As long as the bios chip on the original board is still working you may be able to simply swap it out to the new motherboard and avoid the need for the service tool.

I did remove the bios chip from my BM5 a while ago to take a backup copy of it (using an EPROM programmer) and it is my intention at some stage to have a play with the linux flash tools to see if I could flash a stock EX motherboard accordingly without resorting to removal of the chip, but it's one of those tasks on my todo list that is unlikely to happen until a motherboard failure in my BM5 forces it higher up the list!

Martin.

BeoBuddy:

The Epia EX board will not fit easily into the casing of the BM5. The original EX has sockets which are not present in the BM5. Like digital audio out.

It will partly work. You will have to flash the B&O Bios in the EX, But you need the B&O servicetool to copy the serialnumber in the BIOS. Otherwise you will not get any updates. The Epia flashtool isn't capable to flash the serialnumber.

The reason I think many B&O boards fail, is that they run the processor on 2.0Ghz, instead of the normal 1,5Ghz. That's causing more heat, and there is't an active cooler on it.

Aleksei
Top 500 Contributor
Russia
Posts 84
Bronze Member
Aleksei replied on Wed, Jan 23 2019 6:30 AM

Here's the link to the BS5Service Tool.

Since this is not a normal file sharing, I do not know how long the link itself will be active, but content should be there.

https://yadi.sk/d/VW3xnEWSWMiikw

https://yadi.sk/d/VW3xnEWSWMiikwhttps://yadi.sk/d/VW3xnEWSWMiikw

https://yadi.sk/d/VW3xnEWSWMiikw

https://beointegration.wordpress.com/

1:BV7+BL7.1+BS4+BL6000+BV6+BL2000+MLGW+Beo4

2:BV7+BL7.4+BL3500+BM5+BL3+Lutron GE/Sivoia QS+HikVision+Dune+LinTronic+BLGW+Beo4+Beo5+Essence remote+BeoTime+BeoLinkPC+BL4+KNX+... BeoMaster900

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sun, Feb 10 2019 3:56 PM
Does anyone have some info on these github projects?

neomaster :

https://github.com/toresbe/neomaster

beoported :

https://github.com/toresbe/beoported

libpc2 :

https://github.com/toresbe/libpc2
beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Sun, Feb 10 2019 4:04 PM
Nope. But interesting.

Yes - thumbs up
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Thu, Feb 28 2019 12:00 PM
managed to get gparted running on BM5 to repartion new 1TB SSD Crucial MS500 1TB

But the SSD is not showing up, I will have to dig a little deeper into BS/b5

(BTW Crucial MS500 1TB cloned with the original 0.5 TB B&O HDD works fine)

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sat, Mar 9 2019 5:15 PM

Just for information, I have copied some wav files to the BM5 SSD, these are playing well but TAGs and Covers are not recognized. I could not manage to show them , I decided to convert them to wma now the Tags are fine.

A very interesting Prog for converting files and ripping CDs is:

fre:ac from freac.org

it's a free software and exists for Windows, XOS, Linux, it handles a lot formats including wma-lossless , flac , mp3 , ...

it does also tagging , important as our BM5 is no longer connected to CDDB

My favorite Tagging prog is MP3tag

greetings

gerard

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Sun, Mar 10 2019 8:06 PM

gerard:

... I have copied some wav files to the BM5 SSD, these are playing well but TAGs and Covers are not recognized. I could not manage to show them , I decided to convert them to wma now the Tags are fine.

Well, you just found out that the WAV File is a format that doesn't support Tags nor covers nor anything else Wink

MP3, WMA and FLAC support the additional info in the files.

The WAV format is just rawe PCM data of the audio plus information about the sampling specs ( how many channels at what xxKb/s rate are inside ).

But thank you for the converter info, will try it soon.

Ralph-Marcus

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, Mar 13 2019 11:04 PM
Good news, I managed to have gparted see the installed SSD.

It should not be a problem to resize a cloned 0,5TB SSD to the overall 1TB, by using only the BM5/BS5 combo without an other PC/MAC

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Tue, Nov 12 2019 1:57 PM

Long time no contribution, so back with my experiences upgrading Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5 to SSD.
Basic idea was to have a Beosound WITH some sort of a midsize screen for visual feedback of chosen radio station.
Needed to have the radio running by the press of the RADIO button on the Beo 4 (WAF).

Beosound 5 was acceptable for looks as well, so I had the luck to get one used with 500 GB and a CD ripper as well (to use it as a player only).
(I DO NOT like the looks of the Beosound Moment)

Read through a lot lot of threads here on Beoworld and ended up with the following procedures:

Hardware:
1. Harddisk (SSD) with Marvel 88SS1074 Chipsset: Western Digital WDS100T2B0A WD Blue 1TB 3D NAND Internal SSD 2.5" SATA (110 €)
2. HDD cage Inateck for 2,5" HDD/SSD, 2,5" to 3,5" internal for 1 SSD/HDD, including brackets, screws and SATA 3 cable (10 €)
3. Hardware Cloner: Inateck Aluminium USB 3.0 SATA dual-Bay USB 3.0 HDD Dockingstation with offline Clone function (FD2102) (40 €)

Cloning done with the press of a button (from bay A to bay B).

Afterwards connect the SSD in Inateck Dockingstation via USB to PC
Windows Mini Tool Partition Wizard Free, to expand the DATA Partition (since new SSD is 1 TB)
Before this you need to move the non allocated space next to the DATA partition..
BTW: gparted on USB Boot Stick did not work.

After putting the SSD in Beomaster 5 started Recovery

First try: please use chkdsk, had to press OK several times.
Second try: Recovery runs through smoothly.

Started the update, after some minutes on the newest version (in November 2019: http://swupdate.bang-olufsen.com.gccdn.net/ftp/BeoMaster5/Mk1/Prod/SWService/BeoMaster5_704011945.exe)

Get the network integration done to copy my music files on DATA.
Important: active SMB1 in Windows 10 (several guides on the Internet how to do this).
Map the SSD DATA partition of the Beomaster 5 \\IP-OF-BM-05\BM-SHARE$\ to B: or any other letter
Username BM-USER and Password (set-up in the Beosound 5 menu)
Copy your collection "drag and drop."

Done!

Now I got a fast running radio with a nice little screen - and the chance to play some of my music collection again (moved on to Deezer/Sonos years ago). To ingegrate with my NL Setup I had to get a ML/NL converter as well. So a bit of an overkill for internet radio but I liked the challenge.
I might integrate a Beogram using a Behringer USB device in the future.

Any questions, please ask.

Ralf

PS: I have the service tool as well but wanted to be able to do without (for me the safer way as well regarding cloning (serial numbers?)).

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Tue, Nov 12 2019 7:52 PM
Hi Ralf

Thanks for sharing. My system is getting close to 10 years old now and I am still very satisfied with it.

We mostly listen to Radio, but I do also play some Spotify using a.aux where a Chromecast Audio is connected to a Behringer.

And I do also sometimes listen to my music collection but it has become seldom now. I do have some music that is not available on streaming.

I hope it will continue to function for several years.

👍
Page 1 of 3 (82 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS