Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beoplay EQ

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend Posted: Tue, Sep 21 2021 8:55 PM
My well used EarPod pros are finally starting to pack up, so after watching quite a few reviews and comparing them to the Sennheisers, today I picked up a pair of Beoplay EQs.

I tried to getting a demo when they came out, but after half an hour of trying the shop gave up! Today was much better so I thought I’d give them a go.

Setting up was fairly easy using the B&O app, and adjusting the sound using the wheel thingy was very effective.

The EarPods are quite a unique fit so I was worried about the EQs feeling odd after all this time, but they were very easy to get a good fit first time.

The sound quality is out and out better than my much loved EarPods, I’m very happy to say. The bass is very punchy and you don’t need them that loud to get an effective sound. The latest song from Abba sounded amazing![:\'(]

The quality of the materials etc is a given let’s face it, and they supply a large range of spare earbuds.

I eventually got used to the touch controls on the EarPods, which takes a certain amount of physical memory. I’ve struggled to turn off the ANR by touching the earphones as opposed to tapping them, which I think is the better technique. I’ll wait and see how I get on before I make any criticism about how they actually work.

Unbelievably they were somewhat cheaper here, so if anyone’s considering a holiday to Qatar this had to be the deal breakerCool

https://youtu.be/vrgY_xkULzQ

Just outside the shop

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

GLOP
Not Ranked
Milan
Posts 38
Bronze Member
GLOP replied on Wed, Sep 22 2021 5:16 PM

I've been using them on a daily basis since the 20th of August and I'm pretty much satisfied indeed.

I moved from the AirPod pro olso even if I bought the E8 3rd, but since I experienced quite a lot of connection issue I was happily using the AirPods (well this is disappointing thou...)

Fit is almost perfect and sound quality is awesome as usual. I'm very impressed by the ANC. When walking with it on (and music on as well) I sometimes experienced the full isolation and traffic buzz simply disappears.

Materials are very nice (both tactile feeling and weight) and battery last very long.

So far I'm very satisfied, I don't remember B&O has ever manufactured such a good earbuds set.

If you're considering to buy, go for it.

GLOP

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I agree, I also had the 3rd gen E8s and they were pretty poor. So far with the EQs I’ve had no connection issues at all. My only criticism which I experienced last night, was that in a breeze they let quite a lot of wind noise in. Maybe it’s my ears.

Anyway, great sound, reliable connection and great materials. How it should be.Yes - thumbs up

GLOP
Not Ranked
Milan
Posts 38
Bronze Member
GLOP replied on Thu, Sep 23 2021 10:09 AM

I went for the Comply Tsx-200 Comfort Plus ear tips Link here - not sponsored ;)

even if I bought the small they are still slightly larger than my ear fit, but still very soft and easely to adapt to my inner ear shape.

Alternativelly go for the Isolation, they work great according to my experience.

Hope this helps.

GLOP

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Sep 23 2021 4:19 PM

Is it correct that the EQ lacks a "skip forward" gesture?

This is my most frequently used feature as I mostly listen to machine generated playlists from Spotify/Deezer, and they don't always get it right.  This would stop me from upgrading my e8 gen 3s... then again, if I ever start traveling again, the ANC could tempt me even without the skip forward (since my current H3 ANCs don't skip forward either... or maybe they do, but I only press the buttons for ANC, no ANC, transparency).

GLOP
Not Ranked
Milan
Posts 38
Bronze Member
GLOP replied on Mon, Sep 27 2021 10:25 AM

I do confirm. The HQ lack of the very nice gestures present on the E8 whatever gen. (skip or voice assistant activation)

I guess (pretty much indeed) it could be implemented by OTA update in the future. Figer crossed.

GLOP

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Mon, Sep 27 2021 11:03 AM

Stan:

Is it correct that the EQ lacks a "skip forward" gesture?

This is my most frequently used feature as I mostly listen to machine generated playlists from Spotify/Deezer, and they don't always get it right.  This would stop me from upgrading my e8 gen 3s...

I personally do not have that issue since I simply sync purchased and downloaded tracks to my iPhone. I have only used a few gestures in my previous E8 earphones anyway. But Skip forward is indeed a sensible gesture to have. I’d imagine it might come as a software update. Or can anyone more knowledgeable tell if the number of gestures or combinations have been exhausted with the EQ? Have they had to make a compromise?

In any case I think the EQ is so far still the best upgrade to the E8 series, and all in all a worthy upgrade.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Nov 3 2021 7:04 AM

Just got an email from B&O with an offer to "Upgrade your earphones to Beoplay EQ and enjoy 20% off".

Could be done online or at a dealer showing the email.

I ordered and put my E8 2.0 for sale.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Wed, Nov 3 2021 7:45 AM

Yes, got a similar one about upgrading to the HX. I am happy with my H95s though, so no reason to «upgrade». I suppose they send these emails based on order history, in which I’ve indeed had all the H-series over the years.

Hiort:

Just got an email from B&O with an offer to "Upgrade your earphones to Beoplay EQ and enjoy 20% off".

Could be done online or at a dealer showing the email.

I ordered and put my E8 2.0 for sale.

matteventu
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member

Csaba:

Yes, got a similar one about upgrading to the HX. I am happy with my H95s though, so no reason to «upgrade». I suppose they send these emails based on order history, in which I’ve indeed had all the H-series over the years.

It's based on the headphones/earphones linked to the account via the app :)

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Nov 5 2021 9:33 PM
Received my EQ today.

Connected nicely to the app.

Was prompted to update the sw.

Got message that Bluetooth connection was lost.

Tried several times.

Restarted the iPhone.

Tried a factory reset of the EQ, but they did not respond as per the instructions.

Found out one earbud was completely discharged. The other one was 100%.

Finally got it working.

Left earbud looses power very fast while the other is still in 100%……

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Blow into the case to make sure nothings stopping the earbuds connecting. Use the B&O to tailor the sound.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Someone mentioned their EQs were relatively quiet in comparison to other earphones. This might be due to Apples nannying of the volume if using an IPhone. You can’t turn it off, but I think if you go into settings and describe the EQs as other or hearing aids so it bypasses this feature.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Nov 8 2021 8:50 AM

Chris Townsend:
Someone mentioned their EQs were relatively quiet in comparison to other earphones. This might be due to Apples nannying of the volume if using an IPhone. You can’t turn it off, but I think if you go into settings and describe the EQs as other or hearing aids so it bypasses this feature.

Yeah, I notice that I have to crank them up quite much so that may be the reason.

Not really sure how to do the change in settings that you mention.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
You can’t unfortunately, unless you ditch Apple.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Nov 23 2021 2:59 PM

My brand new Beoplay EQ:s had problems with charging. Left earbud was loosing power much faster than the right, and sometimes did not charge up to 100% when placed in the case.

Filed a warrant case with B&O and sent in the earphones with prepaid package, in the afternoon of Nov 17. Today I got reply that they have detected faulty product and I will be provided new earbuds. They are projected to arrive Nov 26.

Think this is well done, even though its disappointing to have to problems in such an expensive item.

Csaba
Top 500 Contributor
Oslo, Norway
Posts 216
Bronze Member
Csaba replied on Tue, Nov 23 2021 3:27 PM

Hiort:

My brand new Beoplay EQ:s had problems with charging. Left earbud was loosing power much faster than the right, and sometimes did not charge up to 100% when placed in the case.

Filed a warrant case with B&O and sent in the earphones with prepaid package, in the afternoon of Nov 17. Today I got reply that they have detected faulty product and I will be provided new earbuds. They are projected to arrive Nov 26.

Think this is well done, even though its disappointing to have to problems in such an expensive item.

I agree! My biggest issue with the E8 series was always that either one of the earbuds died or the charging case. I am not sure how large percentage of the manufactured pieces get faulty and how much money B&O loses with having to replace them. I’ve never had a single battery issue with any of my B&O headphones, and I’ve bought a lot of those too.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Dec 1 2021 8:58 AM

The app yesterday prompted me to update my EQ:s.

The release note mentioned more adjustment possibilities re eg, the Noice reduction, but I do not see that. I had that functionality earlier in the app when I had my earlier EQ:s that I had replaced under warrant. 

Im now on 5.3.7

What is actually the latest version?

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Wed, Dec 1 2021 9:43 AM

It's a bit random at the moment. 

I've also just updated the earphones to version 5.3.7, but the ability to adjust the ANC level has been preset in the app for time now (I'm in the beta app program - v3.20). 

Actually the other day there was also an option to "Reduce wind noise". But that was removed prior to the update of the earphones. To be fair it didn't actually do any difference. But indicates that it's a feature they are working on.

It's possible that the ANC adjustments (3 steps) prior to the update the earphones also didn't do anything. Haven't really tested that.

I seems a bit weird that features are appearing in the app before being added to the earphones themselves.

Currently I can either select adaptive ANC or manually adjust it three steps for noise reduction. Transparency mode is adjustable in three steps, but no Automatic mode.  

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Dec 1 2021 10:30 AM

Mikael:

It's a bit random at the moment. 

I've also just updated the earphones to version 5.3.7, but the ability to adjust the ANC level has been preset in the app for time now (I'm in the beta app program - v3.20). 

Actually the other day there was also an option to "Reduce wind noise". But that was removed prior to the update of the earphones. To be fair it didn't actually do any difference. But indicates that it's a feature they are working on.

It's possible that the ANC adjustments (3 steps) prior to the update the earphones also didn't do anything. Haven't really tested that.

I seems a bit weird that features are appearing in the app before being added to the earphones themselves.

Currently I can either select adaptive ANC or manually adjust it three steps for noise reduction. Transparency mode is adjustable in three steps, but no Automatic mode.  

Thanks,

Updated to the Beta version in the app and the features appeared. A bit strange customers would get that release note, but not the possibilities in the app.....

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 179
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Wed, Dec 1 2021 1:36 PM

The Beta programme for the App is a bit annoying. Sometimes the public release is newer than what is released on the beta programme. Even if fixes are deemed ready for direct release without the need for beta test, they should feed the same release to the beta programme. It's annoying that you have to monitor which of the two paths is the newest. 

Beovision Eclipse gen2 (GX) w/ floorstand, Beolab 14.2, 4 speaker Shape and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A9mk4 GVA, Beosound 1 GVA, H2, H3, H8, E6, Beoplay EQ

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 9:13 AM

I had now used my EQs almost daily since I had them delivered early November last year.

I use them mainly during dog walks, commuting and occasionally at my home office.

Had them replaced under warranty quite early since one earbud was loosing power much faster than the other. That process was very swift with B&O support. Since then there has been no problems. 

In-ear headphones may not be for everyone, but I appreciate wearing something more discrete when Im out and about. Having tested many of the supplied eartips I landed with the comply foam ones. 

Sound is so pleasant and detailed in these earbuds. Great soundstage and really nice bass. Way better than my old Beoplay E8 2.0, and also better than my AirPods Pros. I mostly listen to some of the mixes from Radio Paradise, using the ALAC setting in their app.

What I miss (and I have told B&O through their support) is the ability to skip to next track and to activate SIRI.

Maybe this has been shared before, but here is a thorough review by Smart Home Sounds.

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS