Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovox 3000 repairs

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff Posted: Thu, Mar 29 2012 2:26 AM

Well, I found a pair of Beovox 3000's on eBay, and just finished unvoxing them. Unfortunately, the seller and my definition of "good, just a few small scratches" are somewhat different. I've seen worse, but they need work. 

I searched in the old forum, it appears replacements from B&O are no longer available for the metal panels. Mention was made of another company that made them but seemed to have stopped. So, any suggestions as to the best way to proceed? The grill cloths are in better SHape, only one hole I've found so far and it's on the upper corner, not visible mounted on the wall where I want to hang them. I imagine I'll also recap them, and need to order mounting brackets. 

Any suggestions appreciated. It's always sad the lack of care used B&O gear seems to get. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:00 PM

I once have upgraded my 5000 panels a while ago with new logo's on it.

And the brackets are so easy to make it yourself! Did 5 pairs already...

Brengen & Ophalen

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:24 PM

Beautiful!are those factory B&O metal covers, or did you have them made? I've had no luck finding any source. I have found this stainless metal film people wrap appliances in if they want to hane their old dishwasher look modern. Might work but I'd have to find some way to get the dents smoothed out as the stuff is thin enough the dents would show through. 

I really want to get these back to snuff as I want to use them in the bedroom. 

Jeff

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:42 PM

Let them made, not B&O. I think Evan did the same thing for the Penta's. Tricky thing though is to let these panels bend them as sharp as possible.

Brengen & Ophalen

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 1:53 AM

How did you go about getting them made? And how did you get the lettering done? What kind of shop, and was it one that's done B&O stuff before or just a metal shop?

Sorry for so many questions! I really want to do these right. 

Jeff

Beolover
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Bronze Member

Hi Leslie,

I also recently acquired a couple of 3000s...lovely design, but unfortunately some brown (rust??) spots developed on the stainless panels. Where did you get the replacements made?

I am also looking for the original wall mounts....If you had any recommendations where to look...

Thanks much in advance!

Rudy

http://beolover.blogspot.com

http://beolover.com

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

HarryPierce:
I am also looking for the original wall mounts....If you had any recommendations where to look...

Hi Rudy

I put 2 screws in the wall exactly where the wall mounts hooks into the speaker, just make sure you get the screws level.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 7:03 AM

HarryPierce:

Hi Leslie,

I also recently acquired a couple of 3000s...lovely design, but unfortunately some brown (rust??) spots developed on the stainless panels. Where did you get the replacements made?

Thanks much in advance!

Rudy

PM me RudySmile

Brengen & Ophalen

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

STB Brackets make the wall brackets for these speakers, if  you can afford to pay their price!!!!

About 5-6 years ago I had 40 pairs made at a local company.

They scanned the original bracket with a laser beam and used the data to program a computer aided press to stamp out as many exact duplicates as you want, They even painted them black to match the original.

Cost about £5 a pair!

By the way  Leslie, excellent job with the panels. Was it a Dutch company that made them???

Regards Graham

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 9:26 AM

No Graham, 4 steps I had to made to complete these panels.

1) Mirror SS sheets purchased in the UK

2) Watercutting done by a Dutch company

3) Bending done by a Dutch company

4) Decal silver text made by a Dutch company

And yes, the brackets are so easily made. I'm lucky I already have the metal sheets with the same width at work. Just need some modification and some painting and that's it.

Brengen & Ophalen

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 1:46 AM

joeyboygolf:

STB Brackets make the wall brackets for these speakers, if  you can afford to pay their price!!!!

About 5-6 years ago I had 40 pairs made at a local company.

They scanned the original bracket with a laser beam and used the data to program a computer aided press to stamp out as many exact duplicates as you want, They even painted them black to match the original.

I have often wondered what has happened to all those original wall brackets...Hmm
I guess all the speakers was originally sold with brackets -but I've seen so many used sets sold without brackets...Why can't these sellers just take the brackets off the wall and sell them with the speakers Super Angry 
Do they leave the brackets on the walls when they move -or what...Confused
Are there some sicko's who just like to collect brackets Wink 
They can't just disappear... Or can they..?
Like there's some kind of Bermuda Triangle for wall brackets... Laughing
Or is it a conspiracy - is it stbbrackets who's behind it - just to sell us some of their own...Wink Whistle
Oh yeah - lots of questions...

Somebody must be getting to the bottom of this mystery...Laughing

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Steffen:

I have often wondered what has happened to all those original wall brackets...Hmm
I guess all the speakers was originally sold with brackets -but I've seen so many used sets sold without brackets...Why can't these sellers just take the brackets off the wall and sell them with the speakers Super Angry 
Do they leave the brackets on the walls when they move -or what...Confused
Are there some sicko's who just like to collect brackets Wink 
They can't just disappear... Or can they..?
Like there's some kind of Bermuda Triangle for wall brackets... Laughing
Or is it a conspiracy - is it stbbrackets who's behind it - just to sell us some of their own...Wink Whistle
Oh yeah - lots of questions...

Somebody must be getting to the bottom of this mystery...Laughing

The same happens with speaker stands, I think B&O used materials that, if no speakers was near it for a certain time, just disappeared Big Smile

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Steffen:

I have been wondering about the same thing. Apparently the brackets are really good for hanging up paintings, overcoats, etc Laughing

--mika

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 2:47 PM

I think the brackets are all hiding in the same place all the B&O plugs and wires are. Ever notice that just about no B&O on sale on eBay and such has the wires? And no one can test them to tell you if they work because they conveniently don't have the right wires?

Jeff

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 7:28 PM

Where are the frets for my second pair of M70s?  Where are the stylus brushes for my 5 Beograms?  Why does my BG4002 have RCA cables?  The questions are endless....

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 2:59 PM

Rich:

Why does my BG4002 have RCA cables?  The questions are endless....

I think that's because for once in their history B&O was actually trying to market something outside their closed environment to the general hifi public at large. Wonder how well it worked? Wink

Jeff

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 4:41 PM

I think that was the purpose of the BeoGram RX and TX decks. No scary DIN connectors Hmm

Beo4 'til I die!

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Rich:

Why does my BG4002 have RCA cables?  The questions are endless....

I think that's because for once in their history B&O was actually trying to market something outside their closed environment to the general hifi public at large. Wonder how well it worked? Wink

I think they all had DIN connectors originally and someone modified it . The European hi-fi public at large are quite used to DIN!

The original Jap-crap stuff had RCA connectors to appeal to the American market and was imported into Europe.

Regards Graham

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 6:15 PM

Evan:

I think that was the purpose of the BeoGram RX and TX decks. No scary DIN connectors Hmm

I knew one line had RCAs as standard but wasn't sure which one, RX/TX rings a bell now.

Yeah, scary DIN. My first "real" highish end system out of college was an Armstrong 621 integrated amp, a beautiful little rosewood cased Class A/B 40 watt thing, with DINs. I also had a Rotel cassette deck, and it was a joy to just run one cable with DINs on each end between it and the deck rather than the rats nest of 4 RCAs. I had to get adapters for the turntable and tuner though. DIN speaker plugs like B&Os too.

I'm not a particular fan of RCAs, if you're going to go for true good connections XLRs work better.

Jeff

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 6:17 PM

joeyboygolf:
I think they all had DIN connectors originally and someone modified it . The European hi-fi public at large are quite used to DIN!

...unfortunately mostly phased out with the demise of all-European Hi-Fi manufacturers. RCAs actually aren't too good for audio signals - the fundamental flaw is that the signal wire usually makes contact before the ground does, calling for speaker destroying hums, buzzes and bangs when cables are connected while powered up. The only good this is that they are coaxial, but that doesn't have much benefit with audio. And still you get to enjoy the separate earth wire with pickup level signals.

"Those odd DIN connectors" are also actually the only standard there is for connecting speakers, if you don't count proprietary "standards" such as Neutrik's speakON.

I guess we have drifted far enough from Jeff's original question Big Smile

--mika

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS