Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

DVD2 Tray Drive Belt Replacement

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2015 6:56 PM

I have just replaced a tray drive belt in a DVD2 as discussed in another thread, so I thought I'd post a few photos of how it's done.

1.  Tools required.  Phillips screwdriver, Torx T-10 screwdriver, tweezers and of course a new drive belt - I bought this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231645307484?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2.  To remove the outer aluminium case, undo the four Torx T-10 screws highlighted, then slide the case backwards a few mmm, whereupon it lifts up and off.

3. To remove the inner top cover, remove all the Torx T-10 screws highlighted (not all may be fitted) and prise upwards.

4. The Phillips DVD mechanism ifs clearly the big black plastic thing in the middle!  If you reach into the little arrowed opening in the lower left hand side with a small finger, you can just about turn the cog inside anti-clockwise (from above) to manually open the DVD draw. Once open a fraction, simply pull the drawer open from the front.

5. Here's a clearer picture of the opening - the cog is inside:

6. And pull open the drawer fully.

7. Undo the two circled Phillips screws, and release the two catches nearest the front plate, and the front half cover of the DVD mechanism will remove upwards.

8. You can now see the drawer drive belt.  Mine was a temporary 'loom band' replacement in pink!  Remove with tweezers.

9. Here's the new drive belt - 26mm (diameter) x 1.2mm:

10.  Use tweezers to loop the new drive belt over the large pulley on the left, and then stretch it over the motor pulley.

You can then refit the front cover of the DVD mechanism and connect power to test that it works properly. Test with DVD inserted and empty - the latter is harder work for the belt as it has to pull the drive clamper magnets apart.  If all OK, disconnect power, then re-assemble and enjoy!

Happy to answer further questions!

lausvi
Top 150 Contributor
Helsinki - Finland
Posts 689
Bronze Member
lausvi replied on Thu, Jul 27 2017 4:33 PM

To bump an old thread: thanks for this! I needed to fix this in my unit. The old belt made the tray to open, show BLOCKED and open by itself if no disc was inserted and the tray closed.

I used the eBay link in the top post (still works) and I just fitted the new belt in my DVD2. Now it's working again.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Jul 27 2017 5:03 PM

Many thanks for the feedback and I am very glad you found my post useful!

lausvi
Top 150 Contributor
Helsinki - Finland
Posts 689
Bronze Member
lausvi replied on Thu, Jul 27 2017 7:28 PM

Yes - thumbs up

One more addition...

After replacing the belt I still got BLOCKED couple of times. Few drops of contact cleaner into the tray sensor seemed to cure it for good.

Rolf 2
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 324
Bronze Member
Rolf 2 replied on Sun, Jan 16 2022 9:47 AM

Hello Guy,

some years ago, I bought a used DVD2 but never managed to get it to work with my BV 10. Last year I remembered the machine, brushed the dust off and connected it to my BS3. It worked that time, but I had to discover that the tray was blocked and did not open. I researched the forum and found your thread. A big, big thank you for sharing your knowledge, it helped to get my DVD2 going again! And also, a great forum as ever.

I ordered a new belt, but in my case, I was able to re-use the old one. I warmed it and rubbed it a bit and after that the shape and flexibility was good and I could re-install it. Don´t know how long it will last, I´ll see.

Kind regards,

Rolf

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Jan 16 2022 10:12 AM

Hi Rolf,

Thank you very much for your post - the forum is indeed a great repository for repair information and positive feedback like this is always nice to receive!   I have only just got rid of my DVD2 (I gave it away free with a BV6-23 that I sold) but it was still working well.

Regards Guy

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS