Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoCord 5000 (4921) belts

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 Posted: Tue, Dec 7 2021 8:57 PM

Hi all,

Recently I found a set of 3 BeoSystem 5000 units at my local thrift store (€15,00 Big Smile)

It consists of the Beocord 5000 (Type 4921), the Beomaster and the Beogram CD-50 plus the Master Control Panel.

The Beocord needs new belts as it does not open by itself. Are there dimensions known of these belts?

If I search the net, I find it somewhat confusing, mostly I find a set consisting of 3 belts.

Are these all belts or is this just for the cassette drive mech itself and not for the drawer?

Does anyone have the dimensions of these belts and, is this belt set also used in other units by B&O?

The CD-50 does open and close but does not play a disc, it makes a rattling sound. Maybe the laser unit that is stuck

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 6:36 AM

Correct belts can be found here - both the 3-belt set for the tapedrive and the belt for the drawer.
(Plus many other parts).

www.beoparts-shop.com

Martin

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 10:55 AM

Thanks for the link but I do need the dimensions.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 12:11 PM

B&O never disclosed specs like dimensions/friction/elasticity.
But they are not standard belts, and you can forget the junk sold at Ebay, if you have your motor bearings etc. dear.

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 12:42 PM
As Martin says, you don’t need any dimensions, just the correct belts.

Ebay sellers sell generic junk you don’t want to buy, believe us. Too tight and you’ll ruin the precious motor, too long and the deck will wow like hell. Rubber quality also matters. Useless.

Beoparts will sell you specially and carefully remanufatured belts to specs.

Jacques

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 12:54 PM

I had a look there (at the B&O shop), and surprisingly it is not to expensive to ship to my country. So I will order them there I guess. But I only seem to find the 3 belt set if I type the beocord 5000 in there. The drawer belt I cannot find.

BTW, you only assumed I wanted to buy at ebay, that was never the case. I wanted to buy at my local vendor that has belts but hasn't got the specs of these. So I guess either those are generic ones or he does not know which ones I mean.

Normally buying outside of your country is much more in shipping than if I buy something local. That is why I wanted the measurements.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 2:25 PM

Your local vendor will not have the correct belts anyways.
He may be able to match the sizes - sort of -, but the elasticity is what kills most drives.

The drawer belt is BS-018.
https://www.beoparts-shop.com/product-category/beocord/beocord-5000-type-49xx/

More reading about Ebay belts here:
https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/38090/289608.aspx
One or two more sellers have come to since then, selling the same asian "fits anything"-belts.

Martin

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 4:45 PM

I could find that one.

In cas of the CD-50 making a rattle noise when reading a disc (inserted the right way), do you think it is some part that needs

replacing also? If so, maybe I can order that along with the rest.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 4:53 PM

Difficult to diagnose from a distance. It could be many things, but most likely not as simple as a part in need of replacing.
- Bad height adjustment of the hub.
- Dry spindle motor bearings.
- Dry tracking mech/gear.
- Any combination of the above or something completely different.

Does it spin the disc?
Does it show the numbers of the tracks?

Martin

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 6:00 PM

Not sure if it spins the disc, I will open it to see if it does.

Numbers are not shown.

Yesterday I took a video of what happens:

https://youtu.be/zuq_Nn_7OPE

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 7:49 PM

Definitely a reading problem.
I would check/clean/lubricate the tracking mech. as the first thing.

Don't suspect the laser. They very rarely fail.
And don't fiddle with anyadjustments - it will only add to the problems.

Martin

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Wed, Dec 8 2021 9:06 PM

Thank you Martin, I will take a look soon at the mechanism.

Parts are ordered  also :)

Greetings

Dan

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Fri, Dec 17 2021 10:00 PM

Well, I took the CD-50 apart. Cleaned the mech but that wasn't too bad. The mechanism of the lens 

also functions smooth. Belt is not perished.

Don't really understand what the issue is but I made another video of this:

https://youtu.be/bclDp8K4oo4

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Sat, Dec 18 2021 4:57 PM

Am I wrong or is the Beomaster only compatible with a certain type of B&O speaker? I see that it has no common speaker

connectors like other audio brands have.

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Mon, Dec 20 2021 7:23 PM

No one?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Dec 20 2021 7:52 PM

Quite contrary.

All Beomasters built for use with passive speakers use standard DIN connectors for the speakers.
The 2-pin DIN connector is the only industrial standard connector for home stereo speakers.
It's everything else that is non-standard.

Beomaster 5000 will work with all passive speakers and, indeed, all B&Os passive speakers have DIN plugs/sockets.

For use in Beolink/Speakerlink systems, the speaker connectors have an additional pin or two for control and communication.

Martin

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Mon, Dec 20 2021 8:03 PM

Are the ones you're referring to the connectors with one round and one flat pin?

I've read now that the Beosystem 5000 was mostly fitted with the Beovox S55, but others will do just as well I think as long as the specs add up.

Or just other brand speakers with that 2-pin connector attached and with the right specs (impedance etc.)

BTW, on the CD-50, do you have any suggestions on what the fault could be? I had made a video on it, here you can see what the motor does.

It spins back and forth until it stops and rejects the disc.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Dec 20 2021 8:13 PM
Exactly.

The DIN speaker sockets were very, very common this side of the Atlantic.

Every major European manufacturer used them!

Jacques

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Dec 20 2021 8:17 PM

Spade and pin, yes.
You can use any passive speakers, regardless of brand, as long as the specs are within reason.
If you decide to stay with the passive Beovox range I'd say the bigger the better.
Anything from Beovox S55 upwards, really.

CD50: Either a spindle motor problem or a tracking problem.
I cannot say which from here.
The lasers practically never fail.

Martin

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Mon, Dec 20 2021 8:22 PM

The motor seem to spin freely enough I think, but not sure how smooth it should be able to turn though.

It didn't run since I have the unit and the motor was gummed up a bit so I took the clamping mech off the shaft and cleaned that part up. It runs much smoother than it did.

Did notice however that from start, when the disc is entering, the it never spins once.

So maybe that is an indicator that the disc does not rise far enough into the clamping mech in order to be read by the laser and that is what's causing the motor to spin back and forth? Wild guess......

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Dec 20 2021 9:22 PM

Beware, free enough is probably not enough. You just can’t say till it’s done.

Jacques

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Tue, Dec 21 2021 8:55 PM

Dan75:

Am I wrong or is the Beomaster only compatible with a certain type of B&O speaker? I see that it has no common speaker

connectors like other audio brands have.

B&O has never used "common" speaker connectors. They used 2 pin DIN connectors for their passive speakers, and later Powerlink 8 pin DIN connectors for their active speakers. In between they used some 3 or 4 pin DIN connectors for their active speakers. (those are quite rare today).

But you can still buy the 2 pin DIN plugs. With those you can connect any passive speakers (not only B&O) to your Beomaster.

(EDIT) Sorry - I can see this already has been answered by Martin Wink - I didn't notice "page 2" Embarrassed

L Spad
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
Posts 271
Bronze Member
L Spad replied on Wed, Dec 22 2021 12:33 AM

You can use any passive speakers within reason - the connectors on the Beomaster are DIN connectors, which are a standard audio connector that is widely available, but no longer very common for some reason. Any 2 pin din plug will work, but you’ll notice the sockets on the Beomaster have 3 pins. That is to allow for a special 3 pin speaker link connector for certain B&O speakers with data displays. The Beomaster 5000 is a good amp and tuner - you hit a great deal there!

L Spad
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
Posts 271
Bronze Member
L Spad replied on Wed, Dec 22 2021 12:35 AM

Ha - I made the same mistake 🤣

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:54 AM

Thank you though :)

And thank you to all.... !! :)

The strange, at least to me, din port on the Beomaster (being a 3-pin) got me assuming that it only accepts special B&O made

speakers. But now that is cleared I now know that I can order those connectors and finally hook them up.

Because I would like to test if it all works off course, I already changed out the belts on the Beocord cassette deck and took it apart

cleaned and lubricated it. It plays, but I can't hook it up. The DIN connector is different than most others, it is not a 5 pin but more, 7 if I remember.

That is not a fit to my adapter cable (5-pin DIN to RCA) so I cannot hook it up to another amp I have.

Two things for now are those connectors and getting the CD-50 up and running. That is still an issue I have to get sorted.

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:57 AM

chartz:

Beware, free enough is probably not enough. You just can’t say till it’s done.

Does the upper part, the one you see spinning back and forth in the video, also come off?

I mean, I took the clamping part that sits underneath off but can the upper part also be removed from that board?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Dec 22 2021 10:34 AM

The Beocord 5000 will connect to the Beomaster 5000.
If you want to connect it to something else, you can unscrew the outermost two pins from the plug with a small (watchmakers) flat-bladed screwdriver..

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Dec 22 2021 12:40 PM
You have to lift it by force, there is no other way. Be extremely careful.

See here:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/628/29623.aspx#29623

Jacques

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
Dan75 replied on Thu, Jan 13 2022 5:58 PM

Done :)

This worked, I have tested after completing the procedure in the link you had given and it plays a cd Big Smile

Only thing that I encountered is something else, it was not loading and ejecting well. The tray I mean.

I noticed that a bracket that holds the long slider to open and close the lid on the front, has a crack in it. This causes the slider to sit out of

it's normal path and therefore the tray tends to hang when it is inserted or ejected.

I guess I will have to come up with a fix of some sort, like epoxy glue. The bracket is plastic and when you tighten the screw which holds the bracket to the base it will tilt one way and therefore bent the slider which causes the irregular functioning of opening and closing /ejecting.

Dan75
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member

The bracket

Page 1 of 1 (30 items) | RSS