Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLab 8000 - Loose RCA jack

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

dbfrancis1943
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
dbfrancis1943 Posted: Fri, Feb 18 2022 4:16 PM

I have a pair of BeoLab 8000s that have performed well for me since about 2016.  Now, one of them has developed a defect.  The Line-In RCA jack has become loose and possibly has a broken connection leading to blasts of 60 Hz (mains freq.) noise at inappropriate times.  My web searches lead me to think that 1) this is a common failure, and 2) I could easily fix it if I could just remove the weighted base and the aluminum cone.  (There is a YouTube showing how:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgeyUhknUmsBut there is a brass split nut under the main nut that I cannot remove without a specialized tool.  Do you know where I could source such a tool?  Is it perhaps something that B&O sells?  There is a B&O dealer in Boston, relatively near me, with a service shop and I have left a voicemail, but have no response yet.  I'm not averse to paying for the tool or the repair, but I think shipping the speaker is impractical.

David

Providence, RI 02906

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

Hi,

I think that the part you are describing is a snap-ring. While there are snap ring pliers you shouldn't need anything more than your fingers or a small screw driver.  Where is it located? Stuck inside the base preventing you from removing the base, or situated inside a groove in the shaft/stem preventing the cone shaped cover from sliding off the shaft?  If the former, you should be able to work it out with a small screw driver. If the latter, you should also be able to pry it apart enough to slip it out of the groove and down the shaft to remove it.  A photo would be very helpful.  I have the oldest MKI type and it's a snap ring/split ring on the shaft just below the cone. I used a small screwdriver to separate the ends enough to slide it off. It's pretty simple.

Good luck,

Bill

dbfrancis1943
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Bill - There is a snap ring (or C ring that holds the cone on).  I think I can remove that, but I haven't gotten there yet.  I do h ave a photo that I meant to attach.  I'll figure out how to send shortly.

David

dbfrancis1943
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Here is photo of "Split Nut".  Found under the prime nut and washer that holds the weighted base.  There is also a separate weight that can be removed by loosening a large socket head screw.  But I need a tool to remove this brass nut.  Does anyone know where I can get one?

dbfrancis1943
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Anyone know how I can attach a photo?

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

I've reviewed the 8002 service manual it does show a spacer that may be the part you are referring to.  This part is not mentioned or shown in the 8000 service manual so I can't be of much help. The 8002 manual states to remove the base, remove the nut and washer and pull the base off from the bottom. I would imagine that the spacer may be fit into a groove in the shaft but I don't think it is threaded, just pushed on.  Have you tried holding the base on each side and using your thumb, push the shaft out through the top?  It may just be stuck?

Hopefully someone with the same configuration will join in to help. My 8000's don't have that part, just a nut and washer. The base comes off easily with the nut/washer removed.

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 8:06 PM

dbfrancis1943:

Anyone know how I can attach a photo?

Hi,

see the Wiki where Soren Mexico did two entries about uploading pics and using them in a post:

Uploading Pics

Posting Pics

Hope that helps Smile

Ralph-Marcus

dbfrancis1943
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Thanks all!  Very helpful.  Here is picture.  Hope it works this time  This is what I see when I remove the nut and washer.

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

That's odd, that doesn't look like my 8000 MKI base at all.  I just checked and 8000's and 8002's use the same base.  Anyway, you should be able to remove that with a screwdriver and hammer. Carefully place the screwdriver in the slot on the left side of the shaft and drive it counterclockwise (down) with the hammer. Once it is broken free it should come out by just using the screwdriver.  Snap ring pliers will do the job more reliably, 90 degree tips would be best.  Can you post a photo that shows the complete bottom on the base. I'm not familiar with what I see in the photo.

Bill Briscoe
Top 500 Contributor
Chicago, IL USA
Posts 165
Gold Member

Hi,

is it possible that you have beolab 18 bases on your 8000's?  The 18's do come with a special tool to tighten the base down.  Even so, a pair of snap ring pliers should work just fine. You could also have a good chance of loosening the special nut with a screwdriver as I mentioned in a previous post.

Good luck with this.

dbfrancis1943
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Well, the speaker is repaired.  Tapping with hammer and screwdriver worked, but for the wrong reason.  The brass thingy is just a bushing that grips the aluminum cone tightly.  It may be screwed into the cast iron base, or it may just be driven in, but there's no need to unscrew it.  My tapping with the screwdriver just loosened it and I could then pull off the base. 

The most effective way to remove the base is probably just to tap it off with a rubber mallet.  Then remove the circlip and wiggle off the cone.  Take out the three screws and tighten up the RCA.  I didn't even need to re-solder the center  conductor.  The loud 'BLAHHHHHHHHT" was just because the RCA was so loose that it lost ground contact.  It all works just like the YouTube says.  For those who wanted more pictures:

Here is the view of the base from below, fully assembled.

And here are the parts disassembled:

What you would do next is to tap the base off by holding the cone and tapping the base with a rubber mallet, or perhaps holding the base and tapping on the threaded shaft with a rubber mallet.

dbfrancis1943
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

One more thing - Where is the name plate on these things w/ m/n, s/n, date of mfg, etc.?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS