Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

S3 speakers arrived today - unpacking and first play!

rated by 0 users
This post has 257 Replies | 15 Followers

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Sep 21 2015 8:50 AM

I'm tearing my hair out here this morning!  I'm going to phone B&O customer service as these speakers seem to have a mind of their own now.

Sometimes they autosense line-in, sometimes (most times) they don't).  Sometimes they sense the input and play for about 2 seconds then switch off!

They are not picked up by the Beomusic app which seems a bit stupid.

When in power save satndby (double press B&O logo - no white light), Bluetooth is automatically disconnected but then autosense obviously won't work, but neither does the line-in.  They are effetcively switched off until you manually switch them on again.

When they do come on using autosense, one speaker starts and then the other follows about 2 seconds later.

When starting music, there is a 3 second delay in sound coming out so you miss the start of the first track.  I've not found this with other Bluetooth devices I have.  The current behaviour of these leads me to believe that either I have a faulty pair, or, B&O have rushed these out without fully testing them, or, I have a problem with all of my sources (iPod, iPad Air2)  My guess is one of the first two.  I'm not a happy bunny this morning after having so much enthusiasm for these.  They sound lovely when they work but seem to be a practical nightmare in use.

I'll let you know how it goes with customer serice.

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Dave Farr:

Dave.

Please don't expect that!

The S3 is a bluetooth speaker, not a NL-enabled product.

The BeoMusic is a control app for NL-enabled devices - and it has no playback of it's own, that could be streamed via bluetooth.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Mon, Sep 21 2015 9:26 AM
Dave Farr:

I'm tearing my hair out here this morning! I'm going to phone B&O customer service as these speakers seem to have a mind of their own now.

Sometimes they autosense line-in, sometimes (most times) they don't). Sometimes they sense the input and play for about 2 seconds then switch off!

When in power save satndby (double press B&O logo - no white light), Bluetooth is automatically disconnected but then autosense obviously won't work, but neither does the line-in. They are effetcively switched off until you manually switch them on again.

When they do come on using autosense, one speaker starts and then the other follows about 2 seconds later.

When starting music, there is a 3 second delay in sound coming out so you miss the start of the first track. I've not found this with other Bluetooth devices I have. The current behaviour of these leads me to believe that either I have a faulty pair, or, B&O have rushed these out without fully testing them, or, I have a problem with all of my sources (iPod, iPad Air2) My guess is one of the first two. I'm not a happy bunny this morning after having so much enthusiasm for these. They sound lovely when they work but seem to be a practical nightmare in use.

I'll let you know how it goes with customer serice.

Dave.

This seems the way to go after buying B&O nowadays: First be happy when unpacking, then be frustrated when recognizing software bugs and finally waiting for updates the next months or years. The Moment, H8 headphone and now S3. No more quality control at B&O anymore, very poor indeed!

Regards

Räuber
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Sep 21 2015 9:59 AM

Millemissen:

Dave Farr:

Dave.

Please don't expect that!

The S3 is a bluetooth speaker, not a NL-enabled product.

The BeoMusic is a control app for NL-enabled devices - and it has no playback of it's own, that could be streamed via bluetooth.

MM

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it.  If, as it appears there is to be a wall or floor stand option for these and they are permanently sited, if I say use an A9 via Bluetooth in my dining room and have S3's in the kitchen, why not be able to transfer the output to them via the Beomusic app if that's how I was controlling the A9?  surely it can't be that difficult?

Dave.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Sep 21 2015 11:04 AM

OK, just got off the phone with Beoplay Customer Support (UK).  Very helpful and were going through my e-mails to them regarding this.

They will report the autosense issues I've found to technical support for investigation.  Yes, I had the line-in correctly fitted etc.

I asked about stand or wall mount options - these were originally thought of and incorporated in the product but there doesn't seem to be further development of them at present.

I explained why it made sense for them to be included on the Beomusic app and she is passing on to tech development.

Having both speakers just called 'S3' under Bluetooth devices on your iPad etc is an Apple issue that doesn't allow renaming of devices.  However, the info is being passed on to tech support as they may be able to do something (e.g. include serial number) on a future software update.

Of course, as soon as I got onto the phone with them, the autosense worked!  It hadn't most of the morning.  Typical.

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Seems that a trip to my B&O dealer is due 😻

MM

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Sep 21 2015 4:57 PM
Absolutely! I hadn't realized they aren't available in the UK yet due to the way they are rolling them out. Your feedback on them once you visit your dealer will be most welcome.

I'm measuring the threaded lugs tomorrow to see what size bolt will fit it as I may have a source for brackets. Watch this space!

Dave.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Dave Farr:

Absolutely! I hadn't realized they aren't available in the UK yet due to the way they are rolling them out. Your feedback on them once you visit your dealer will be most welcome.

I'm measuring the threaded lugs tomorrow to see what size bolt will fit it as I may have a source for brackets. Watch this space!

Dave.

Ooh Dave what about the stand that the playmaker has. That little table bracket?
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 22 2015 10:30 AM

Aussie Michael:
Ooh Dave what about the stand that the playmaker has. That little table bracket?

No, that won't work.  It needs to be bolted to the underside of the speaker in the threaded lugs I showed in the picture.  Certainly for wall mounting or on a taller stand or table stand.  Hopefully, watch this space.

I've had a reply from B&O Play about my points:

Dear Dave,

Thank you for including pictures of some of your many Bang & Olufsen items - I do recall seeing a couple of them before, what an amazing collection!

I was finally able to get a hold of my colleague who knows all there is to know about the BeoPlay S3 and have the following feedback for you:

Will the BeoPlay S3 speakers work in a Multiroom setup
The BeoPlay S3 was designed to be primarily a Bluetooth speaker with daisy-chain possibility and a USB connection alternative for use with computers, however, if connecting a BeoSound Essence 2nd generation, the BeoPlay S3 can indirectly become part of a Multiroom setup. This will require the cable you mentioned yourself as well as a cable splitting the signal into Left and Right. Please note that using Line-in will disable Bluetooth functionality and that the BeoPlay S3 needs to be set to multiple speaker mode as described on page 11 in the User Guide. You may have to perform this procedure simultaneously for both speakers in order for both to become Masters. Please note that a such setup is not part of the product's specifications which explains the rather tricky setup procedure.

Why is there a 3 second sound delay on Bluetooth (True Wireless setup)
As mentioned in the FAQ, and as you had also noted, it is not possible to change this delay over Bluetooth, unfortunately.

Autosense does not work in Line-in mode
Autosense works when using the USB connection (when connecting a computer), but in order to play from a source connected to the mini-jack Line-in, the BeoPlay S3 needs to be set to multiple speaker mode, as described above.

Can the name be changed
At present, it is not possible to change the Bluetooth device name on iOS devices - it is possible with Android devices. We hope to be able to change this in the future. In the meantime, we can suggest for each child to only pair with one speaker. I know this does not solve the issue concerning detection of the left and right channel in a True Wireless setup when moving the speakers.

I will request that the development considers adding further information to end customers, e.g. FAQs, on Line-in setups disabling Bluetooth.
Please let me know if any of this is unclear and I shall do my best to explain in further detail.

All the best from Struer.

Kind regards,
Ina Bang Andersen (Ms) | Customer Service
Unfortunately, this is plain wrong!  My speakers are not set up as multiple speaker mode and are not connected to each other via cables - but, each speaker (not just the Master) , individually will sometimes play via the line-in jack.  Sometimes when it works, the second speaker also turns on after a 2 second pause and hence both play music even though only one is connected by a line-in cable!  Other times, they play music for 2 seconds and then simply turn themselves off.  This has to be a glitch of some description.
I'm in continuing discussions with them.
Dave.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Oopps - the S3 seems to be a naughty little guy with his own ideas ;-)

At first I was happy to read, that it definitely would work (using the line-in connection) with an external source like the Essence. But after reading, that you have to put it to 'multiple speakers mode', I got puzzled again.

In my case I would only need one, since I would be happy with a 'mono-downmix' of the stereo input for that particular room.

So I'll be waiting patiently for further reports from you, Ina and the 'colleague, who knows all there is to know about the S3'.

I won't be able to drive to my dealer untill the end of the week - unfortunately.

MM

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 22 2015 11:06 AM

A further update from Ina:

It seems that to play via the line in - even for only 1 speaker, you have to press the B&O logo for 8 seconds until it becomes Orange (puts it into 'Multiple Speaker Mode') for the line-in to be stable!  I think new Beta Testers are needed as this is an awful solution.  If I plug a line-in cable into something, I expect it to play - not to have to basically reprogram a device into something it isn't to work!  It's a single speaker, how difficult can it be to play via line-in?

I'm amazed and shocked.

Dave.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 22 2015 11:10 AM

Millemissen:

Oopps - the S3 seems to be a naughty little guy with his own ideas ;-)

At first I was happy to read, that it definitely would work (using the line-in connection) with an external source like the Essence. But after reading, that you have to put it to 'multiple speakers mode', I got puzzled again.

In my case I would only need one, since I would be happy with a 'mono-downmix' of the stereo input for that particular room.

So I'll be waiting patiently for further reports from you, Ina and the 'colleague, who knows all there is to know about the S3'.

I won't be able to drive to my dealer untill the end of the week - unfortunately.

MM

One possible problem with this is that once a line-in cable is plugged in, the Bluetooth is disabled.  So, if you have them wall mounted for example (assuming a bracket becomes available) you'd have to climb up and revert it back from multiple speaker mode or remove the line-in jack to play via Bluetooth.  Completely impractical!  I can't believe they haven't thought this through in a real World situation.

Dave.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Dave Farr:

One possible problem with this is that once a line-in cable is plugged in, the Bluetooth is disabled.  So, if you have them wall mounted for example (assuming a bracket becomes available) you'd have to climb up and revert it back from multiple speaker mode or remove the line-in jack to play via Bluetooth.  Completely impractical!  I can't believe they haven't thought this through in a real World situation.

Dave.

The (missing) bluetooth connection is not that important to me, since the line-in would be the main reason for me to buy/use the S3.

BUT, I am sure it is essential to others and it does need some kind of fix.

Luckily these things are software related - there is still a chance, that it can be fixed.

MM

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Sep 22 2015 11:34 AM
yes, this is what I have explained to them. I hope for a rapid fix or update. They also need to write a better explanation on the FAQ pages.

Dave.
Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, Sep 22 2015 12:07 PM
B&O seems not to be able to develop a properly working single speaker in the new digital world. They should go back to analogue world and use this connection:

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Tue, Sep 22 2015 12:53 PM
@ Raeuber

Big SmileStick out tongue lol
Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Sep 22 2015 1:18 PM

Their non-existent customer service that I received has truly destroyed them for me along with Dave's problems. I will not be wasting my hard earned money on the S3.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Raeuber:
B&O seems not to be able to develop a properly working single speaker in the new digital world. They should go back to analogue world and use this connection:

They are using 'this connection' - it is just hidden inside the speaker 😸

MM

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 5:58 AM
Well at least you guys can get it now. Here in Australia it's not expected till Christmas. Likewise for the A6. B&O doesn't make it easy for Aussies

I guess by the time it arrives here all the bugs should be fixedSmile
Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 7:24 AM
It's not in the UK either yet!

Dave.
lupend88
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
lupend88 replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 10:39 PM

Is there a simple way to connect these to my tv? I don't want them wireless by the way.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Wed, Sep 23 2015 10:56 PM
If the tv has a line- out, yes. Input to the 3.5mm jack line-in on the speaker and set it to multiple speaker mode.

Dave.
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Gday Bill

Collins St will have a demo in November so maybe other Aussie dealers will too
BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Thu, Sep 24 2015 11:00 AM
G'day Michael,

Thanks for the heads up. Hopes that's the case. I'm hoping it could be good enough for a centre speaker - the size and space would work well. I'm still kicking myself for sitting on the fence for the Beolab 7.1/7.2/7.4. Biggest non purchasing regret ever lol.
epkgael
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
epkgael replied on Fri, Sep 25 2015 2:38 PM

Opportunity!!!

If you are interested in 50% discount see here: https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010880216/play-s3-white (black also listed)

At least for sweden, don't know about international shipping, but it is an opportunity I couldn't miss - ordered two immediately :)

NOTE!
Offer is only valid this weekend as part of Dustin weekend-rush deals... 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Apart from the fact, that the price, that they mention as the 'normal pris', is higher than the price on the BeoPlay-site and that it is listed as black even if the picture shows the white version, it seems eeeextremely cheap.

I am exited about, what my dealer says, when I show him that offer tomorrow 😏

MM

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

https://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010880213/play-s3-black

Same in Denmark, really good price.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Sep 25 2015 4:07 PM

Raeuber:

Nah, too simple, they'd need special DIN speaker connectors that only accept tiny wires. Whistle

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

epkgael
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
epkgael replied on Fri, Sep 25 2015 7:03 PM
Millemissen:

Apart from the fact, that the price, that they mention as the 'normal pris', is higher than the price on the BeoPlay-site and that it is listed as black even if the picture shows the white version, it seems eeeextremely cheap.

I am exited about, what my dealer says, when I show him that offer tomorrow 😏

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

They sell both the black and white. The link shows the white which are the ones I bought 😊

Interesting to hear what tour dealer says Cool
Beoberg
Top 500 Contributor
Odense, Denmark
Posts 315
Bronze Member
Beoberg replied on Fri, Sep 25 2015 7:36 PM

Emil Jensen:

https://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010880213/play-s3-black

Same in Denmark, really good price.

Thank you very much! I ordered a set of black ones at the blink of an eye Big Smile

BeoVision Eclipse 55, BeoPlay S8 (sub+rears), BeoPlay A9 MKII (living room), BeoVision Avant 32 DVD (retro gaming, basement), BeoLab 4000 (entertainment room, basement), BeoSound 8 (workshop), 2x BeoPlay S3 (PC), BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay H2/H3 (on the go)

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Sep 25 2015 7:49 PM
Beoberg:

Thank you very much! I ordered a set of black ones at the blink of an eye

BeoVision 11 - 40, BeoLab 9 (main), BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5, ML/NL converter, BeoLab 4 (desktop), BeoLit 12 (kitchen), BeoPlay H3 (on the go)

Tried to do the same. But only shipments within Denmark [:\'(]

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

kimchr
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member
kimchr replied on Fri, Sep 25 2015 7:50 PM

Bought two White while crossing the Island of Fyn. Or rather, I instructed my girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat to buy, buy, buy....

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

epkgael:
Interesting to hear what tour dealer says Cool

My dealer just shook his head and said, that he couldn't even buy them (from B&OPlay) at that price.

He adviced me to buy one from DusinHome, if I need one - that is, what he would have done ;-))

It seems that a product like the S3 was not meant for the traditional Bang & Olufsen dealers, but for online resellers etc

The mobilephone provider Telia (in DK) sell them for 2000 DKK three shops down the road.

DustinHome must have gotten these really cheap - probably because they ordered a lot.

P.S. Nothing wrong with the sound and the build-quality (at that price level) - they sound/it sounds really good.

If anyone needs a stationary bluetooth speaker (for the kitchen, bath etc) - buy it!

MM

x16szr
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 179
Bronze Member
x16szr replied on Sat, Sep 26 2015 9:27 PM
Hallo Millemissen,

Ich möchte sofort 2 weiße bestellen, doch Lieferung nur innerhalb Dänemarks möglich!

Hast Du dazu eine "Idee" ?

Vielleicht möchte sich noch jemand anschließen?

Gruß, Stefan

Beosystem 4 , Beoremote One, Samsung LED 65 Zoll, ATV4 PUC, BL 8000 Frontspeaker, Center BL 7.1, BeoPlay S8 black Rear Wandhalterung, Beosound Essence MK2 mit IR an Beolink passiv an Bose 161 weiß, Beomaster 3000 mit Beocord 3000 an BeoVox CX50 weiß, BeoCom 1401 mit IR Control, BeoCom 2000 weiß, Beoplay M5, Ex-Beosound Ouverture RDS, Ex-BV 10-40 MK3 mit Beo4 DTV an Dreambox 500V2, Ex - Beoplay V1-40 weiß , Ex-BV 8-26 mit Beo4 DTV an Technisat Digit S2e PUC, ex BeoSound 3, Ex-Beolit 12 Darkgrey, ex B&O A8 Earphones

krstec
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
krstec replied on Sat, Sep 26 2015 10:11 PM

Hi Dave

So is the verdict that a pair of speakers can't be wireless linked in line in mode?

I see that you been in contact with the support but is this your final conclusion also?

This whole thing seams very strange and makes med sad as I just ordered a pair for this use!

I wanted to use it with my Iphone, thus howver the phone does not support APTx bluetooth and the sound with bluetooth would be shitxxty to say the least. My plan was to connect my Aiport express to the back as a backpack (the airport express have a very good analog dad built in) and use airplay to get loseless audio in stereo sound. I am confused why they actually show "iphones" in the manual as an iphone connected with normal ad2p bluetooth connection would sound as good as a homemade can speaker to be frank, why no airplay?!

With what you say now this is just to forget? If so I would need to return them. :-( I been reading the manual and it is not fully clear but i think the manual confirms your findings? What transmission technique do you think there is in-between the speakers? APTx or BnO own wireless protocol?

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Sat, Sep 26 2015 10:26 PM
krstec:

Hi Dave

So is the verdict that a pair of speakers can't be wireless linked in line in mode?

I see that you been in contact with the support but is this your final conclusion also?

This whole thing seams very strange and makes med sad as I just ordered a pair for this use!

I wanted to use it with my Iphone, thus howver the phone does not support APTx bluetooth and the sound with bluetooth would be shitxxty to say the least. My plan was to connect my Aiport express to the back as a backpack (the airport express have a very good analog dad built in) and use airplay to get loseless audio in stereo sound. I am confused why they actually show "iphones" in the manual as an iphone connected with normal ad2p bluetooth connection would sound as good as a homemade can speaker to be frank, why no airplay?!

With what you say now this is just to forget? If so I would need to return them. :-( I been reading the manual and it is not fully clear but i think the manual confirms your findings? What transmission technique do you think there is in-between the speakers? APTx or BnO own wireless protocol?

S3 great speakers marketed by idiots?
krstec
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
krstec replied on Sat, Sep 26 2015 10:38 PM

maybe :-)

While i am against Apple in general a second hand iphone is one of the cheaper way to get a phone with a decent headphone jack audio quality. Now, these speakers are definitive marketed for the "general" iphone user i would claim freely, why this just does not make any sense. I am wondering if there maybe could be airplay built in the speaker but due to software delay is not enabled?! (why design a specific wireless only bluetooth chip in this speaker when it is cheaper to use same electronics as the other ones)

Or maybe i am just wishing here upon something that will never come true..

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The S3' are tiny speaker made for convenient use with bluetooth.

They are what they are - and good (very good) so, nothing more!

Please don't 'overact' these small speakers.

They certainly aren't meant to replace other BeoLab speakers.

See them as a very good offer for those, who need a handy bluetooth driven stationary speaker.

MM

AndersKjergaard
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip on the S3's. You did however force me into buying four in whiteSurprise

I'm going to try them in my Sonos setup by buying two Sonos Connect. I'm a little anxious about the autosense as well as possible delays, which would disturb the synchronization.

I'll report back when it is up and running. If it does not work as expected I'll have to return them.

I'm excited to see if they are better than a pair of Play:1's.

Br

AndersSmile 

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 277
Bronze Member
Normann replied on Sun, Sep 27 2015 9:02 AM

AndersKjergaard:

Thanks for the tip on the S3's. You did however force me into buying four in whiteSurprise

The same did i, 3 for the kids and one for me Big Smile

Can't wait to hear them Smile

Page 3 of 7 (258 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS