Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What Are You Working On Now

This post has 1,308 Replies | 20 Followers

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 12:40 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Good job again Leslie, cant wait for the strip.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 8:21 AM

Hi everyone!

The eBay thing is a good idea. If both companies can work out small series, it'd be great to be able to buy new lids for these turntables! I'd probably be one of the very first customers! Smile

The perspex would nevertheless have to be 4mm thick and a little bit clearer though, I think.

Jacques

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 8:35 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 8:44 AM

Leslie:

Thanks guys,

No, no comments from my supplier regarding quality of the original B&O. Why should they?

well for one reason, there is absolutely no distortion at the joints, and I just thought they might have said something that's all, I mean, they are not typical record player lids are they! However I think 86 euros really is a bargain for the job they have done!

Olly

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Step1:

Leslie:

Thanks guys,

No, no comments from my supplier regarding quality of the original B&O. Why should they?

well for one reason, there is absolutely no distortion at the joints, and I just thought they might have said something that's all, I mean, they are not typical record player lids are they! However I think 86 euros really is a bargain for the job they have done!

Regards Graham

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

Step1:

Leslie:

Thanks guys,

Bargain at the price. I would need to see one in the flesh to be 100% convinced.

Regards Graham

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 4:02 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Leslie:

joeyboygolf:
I would need to see one in the flesh to be 100% convinced
Convinced of what Graham, quality wise or 100% the same. I can tell you that this lid is absolutely better then the original, but then again, seeing is believing! On the other hand, correct me if I'm wrong, why does it always have to be 100% of the original?

Leslie, if I need to tell you then you wouldn't understand!

Better than, almost as good as , just slightly different, are not good enough.  An original Dutch master painting is worth a fortune but a very good copy is worth peanuts.

Your Beocenter glass panels are excellent  as are the ones for the Beosystem 4500 but they are not original. I can tell the difference from a photo so I know I will in the flesh.

Your glass doors for the Ouverture types are very good, but I can tell the difference. Any way, even if I couldn't tell, the value is in the originality.

You may think that I'm stupid but it is just the way I am.

Regards Graham

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 7:34 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 9:47 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 11:04 PM

Leslie:

joeyboygolf:
An original Dutch master painting is worth a fortune but a very good copy is worth peanuts.

Btw, a Dutch master painting there's only one. From B&O there are thousand "copies" and most of the one I'm making are obsolete.

Leslie I know the point Graham is trying to make, there is no need to get defensive I think you could sell the lids all day to the individual wanting a nice looking lid and whom is not too bothered about it being a repro, or at least where it is their decision to purchase the lid. However, I doubt neither Graham, nor other resellers of B&O would be able sell these decks and cover the extra overheads just because it has a new repro lid. I am not convinced they (the customer) would buy into that!

Olly

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 11:28 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 12:40 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Leslie:

joeyboygolf:
An original Dutch master painting is worth a fortune but a very good copy is worth peanuts.

Btw, a Dutch master painting there's only one. From B&O there are thousand "copies" and most of the one I'm making are obsolete.

OK Change Dutch master to read Royal Delft Porcelain plate. They made thousands of them but who really wants a copy??

Regards Graham

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 6:46 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

Leslie:

joeyboygolf:

OK Change Dutch master to read Royal Delft Porcelain plate. They made thousands of them but who really wants a copy??

Chinese, Japanese and lots of others around the globe.

What about those copies from QDA (glasspanels) or straps from Jason, both UK resellers.Stick out tongue And they sell professionally....

I can just about tolerate the bands for RL speakers although they should have investigated getting the numbers printed on.

The glass panels however are total rubbish (in my opinion). 

Regards Graham

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 7:46 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 9:39 AM

Leslie:

Don't tell me I'm defensive. Not defensive at all and especially certainly not to Graham, that's the way I am, and who says I'm doing this for selling purposes? Not at all. Just wanna share my experiences with others who can't afford those silly prices B&O is asking (if there are any). Most of them are obsolete and people are looking for alternatives.

I already have sold quite a few panels to people who are desperately seeking for it. Just try to help them, that's all and nothing more!

Hey Leslie I obviously read your last post wrong so sorry bout that... Now, regarding the lid I can exactly understand where Graham is coming from, but that does not mean to say you have not got a great replacement for broken or badly scratched lids that won't be very popular.... just that I don't think Graham or other resellers could really sell these as part of a complete package and demand the extra to justify the cost for reasons outlined above..

And BTW I didn't purposely suggest you would be building these for selling purposes, but now you have brought it up why the heck not? You put a lot of work in to this stuff and have offered folks a lot of insight into what is possible from a non professional (but extremely imaginative) point of view! I doubt anyone here would be bothered if you offered these for some profit, or at the very least, enough to cover your time and extra 'unseen' expense!

Olly

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 9:58 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 4:27 PM

My Bg3k5 could use new lid too.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 10:56 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 7:03 AM

Someone has made little mess with glue...

And as can be seen I´m working with Bc9k5 on right, on left side is Bc9k. I did test with 9k casettedeck to see if 9k5 was broken or not. It wasn't, the reason why casette didn't work was so stupid that I wont tell here. Luckily 9k was allready open because CD is broken.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 4:19 PM

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Leslie:

9K, 9K5, BC3k5, Bc9k5 (need a calculator)Big Smile

Took him longer time to figure that out, than to write the "0"sDevil

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 5:26 PM

Søren Mexico:

Leslie:

9K, 9K5, BC3k5, Bc9k5 (need a calculator)Big Smile

Took him longer time to figure that out, than to write the "0"sDevil

Of course you could use Roman Numerals for your Vintage 5000 series .... so instead of saying "BG CD 50, Beocord 5000, BM 5000" next time use:

Julius Caesar:

BG CD L, Beocord MMMMM, BM MMMMM

NB strangely the online Roman Numeral calculators top out at 4,999 ... perhaps the end of the world is not 2012 but 4999 Laughing

And yes insomniacs do have too much time on their hands  Laughing Laughing Laughing

BeoNut since '75

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 7:29 AM

Okey, okey... I'm also a resistor fan Stick out tongue

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 7:38 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:42 AM

No ideas so far. It might be lost case because it is alike on other side too. Obiously someone has tried to glue top trim back with some aseton based or Airfix glue, so it has melted deep in plastic.

Have you replaced those shiny stainless trims with anything "not so original"?

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 12:08 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Orava:

Okey, okey... I'm also a resistor fan Stick out tongue

Understand 1K5 Big Smiles

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 6:50 AM

Leslie:

Orava:

Have you replaced those shiny stainless trims with anything "not so original"?

Something like this you mean?

Oh. Thats certainly "not original". Actually I ment trim (sheet?) on top of lid.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 8:28 AM

Brengen & Ophalen

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 9:13 AM

Can it be found from any metalshop, I mean is it standart material, and one could go to metalshop and say "cut a piece of that to me, thanks"?

Just fininished recording doors on Bang & Olufsen Beocenter 9500. Just cant stop admire cd holding mechanims  in this machine, it cant be seen at all, it just works.

ablaumeise
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
ablaumeise replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 12:28 PM

It lives! Again.

Remote is also fixed, I had missed a bad joint on the corresponding IC. Ready the annoy the neighbor's dogs some more.

Now let's see if I can find a contemporary movie for the first screening after 10 years. Cool

Step1
Top 75 Contributor
Manchester, UK
Posts 1,268
Bronze Member
Step1 replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 1:10 PM

Well done that man and just want to add it is so nice to see these older sets still cared for - shear size and lack of knowledge to keep 'em going means that one day there will be very few examples left!

Let us know what the piccy is like :)

Olly

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 2:50 PM

Well done!

A classic problem, masterly fixed: geometry and convergence look perfect!

Jacques

ablaumeise
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member

The owner actually paid me to take it off his hands, but thats another story. Big Smile

Convergence and geometry have been adjusted following the procedures in the original service manual. The image quality is actually quite extraordinary now!

The Beovision is connected to my notebook via an RF-Connector. We settled on "something with music" and had it screen the Woodstock 40th Anniversary Blu-ray. Don't ask me how this is possible, but the picture is just brilliant. Brightness has somewhat faded over the years, but it is crystal clear and amazingly sharp. Sound is nice too, but only in mono. Stick out tongue

Definitely worth saving!

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member

a sewing machine ... and I dont even sew. the crap people will try to put on me cause I fix old stereos amazes me sometimes.  but this little project intrigued me so I took it on.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

eugene1960:

a sewing machine ... and I dont even sew. the crap people will try to put on me cause I fix old stereos amazes me sometimes.  but this little project intrigued me so I took it on.

Interesting mechanics, yours looks like an older one, not too much plastic, normally  cleaning and lub. will do a lot, look out for loose screws and thread rests below the foot where the back thread runs.Laughing

Page 3 of 33 (1309 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS