Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BEOLAB 50

rated by 0 users
This post has 55 Replies | 6 Followers

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
seethroughyou Posted: Mon, Apr 10 2017 12:32 PM
Does anyone know if there a media/journalist presentation date for this new speaker and when it is please?

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

It already was - however LEE must keep his lips tight.

There was talk about August as date for the launch.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
August isn't too far. Quietly excited.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Market
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Silver Member
Market replied on Fri, Jul 7 2017 10:05 PM

Last week of august. We just got trained. 

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Jul 7 2017 10:25 PM

Got the opinion of two different french dealers gone to the presentation this week.

Both are disappointed by the look. Bigger and "classical look" in perticular from the front. the side are more classy.

One find them above of the beolab 5, the other one no.

Truth is elsewhere ...

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
Performance can be hard to judge after a short audition. Did Bang & Olufsen present any papers or graphs on the spectral performance on and off axis like they did with the Beolab 90?

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Jul 7 2017 10:48 PM

You are right. I don't know the details of the presentation. You don't have too long to wait.

As I have listened to the bl90 and wasn't convinced at all considering the price, I think that beo has with the bl50 a good card to play. The positiv fact for me is that they kept at least one acoustic lens (appears and disappear) and the price not a lot above the actual for the bl5.

They have probably searched the best compromise.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

olvisab:

The positiv fact for me is that they kept at least one acoustic lens (appears and disappear)

This would be a good economical way to do a "Wide/Omni" and "Narrow" beam width without trebling up on drivers and amps.  Whether there is too much difference in how this voices from one mode to another I guess we will have to wait and see (hear)

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Sat, Jul 8 2017 8:39 AM

If I quite understood their explanation there are also speakers (passiv/activ ?) at the back.

For the highs, the acoustic lens is hard to bit and proved its efficiency and it should be more economical than building a new and better system. Like in the car system, the lift of the lens is the magical effect.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jul 8 2017 9:54 AM

The person who thought they sounded the same as BeoLab 5 must be deaf!

I thought they sounded amazing - and I listen to BeoLab 5 every day at home...

Design wise, at the time I said they'd not be what you were possibly expecting - but I like them.

PS : The model name appears to be Denmark's worst kept secret, then Perfect

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Jul 8 2017 10:44 AM

9 LEE:

PS : The model name appears to be Denmark's worst kept secret, then Perfect

Dealers have seen them and told all their customers, Lee!

Market
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Silver Member
Market replied on Sat, Jul 8 2017 10:55 AM

Anything but photos. That's the deal. 

We we even can show pics around but can't share. 

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

Don't get too excited... sound wise ok.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jul 8 2017 8:30 PM

BAND'OH!:

Have you heard them, in person?

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

9 LEE:

BAND'OH!:

I haven't Lee no. However, based on conversations I have had regarding some designs I have in mind going forward about new upcoming products including the OLED tv the general consensus seems to be to stick with second hand BL5s (which is not an option dues to their size) and to just stick with current OLED panels regardless of manufacturer. So that's what I am likely to pursue although I will wait to see the tv particularly in person before going ahead with any build etc. Simon. 

11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
9 LEE:

How can you form an opinion on something you've not even seen or heard??? I've had the privilege to see and hear a pre launch pair and they blow the BeoLab 5's out of the water. These are not a direct replacement for the 5's, they are a spin off from the BL90's. I can't wait to get them in-store.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

BAND'OH!:

9 LEE:

BAND'OH!:

I haven't Lee no. 

MAN'OH'MAN ;-(

MM

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

It does sound pessimistic I know, but given that the last few years have been nothing but disappointment followed by disappointment, I am honestly inclined to go on what I have heard. Other users of this forum have also made reference to dealers they have spoken to regarding upcoming products which have been seen. I am grateful for the honesty to be frank. Look at all the problems with current products, I mean seriously, if you were are a customer would you honestly buy into the brand still? I understand that people/companies/dealers/franchisees (etc) want to fight their corner as their business is on the line, but that's not an honest reflection of B&O in 2017. Simon.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

w5bno123:
9 LEE:

How can you form an opinion on something you've not even seen or heard??? I've had the privilege to see and hear a pre launch pair and they blow the BeoLab 5's out of the water. These are not a direct replacement for the 5's, they are a spin off from the BL90's. I can't wait to get them in-store.

We will see won't we.

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Sat, Jul 8 2017 11:54 PM
My info is that they are a substantial step up from the Beolab 5.

I haven't heard them, but have 2 pairs of lab 5s. Which are incredible. We'll see if I make a change.

I hear the design is softer than the 90s and that they are meant to be a step UP from the 5s.
seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
BAND'OH!:

It does sound pessimistic I know, but given that the last few years have been nothing but disappointment followed by disappointment, I am honestly inclined to go on what I have heard. Other users of this forum have also made reference to dealers they have spoken to regarding upcoming products which have been seen. I am grateful for the honesty to be frank. Look at all the problems with current products, I mean seriously, if you were are a customer would you honestly buy into the brand still? I understand that people/companies/dealers/franchisees (etc) want to fight their corner as their business is on the line, but that's not an honest reflection of B&O in 2017. Simon.

I understand what you're saying about the audio products and the TVs with their astronomical pricing and riddled with software problems but the speaker division of Bang & Olufsen is probably their strongest skillset and the company as long as it has existed have produced phenomenal speakers. I can honestly say B&O have produced few, very few bad speakers in all it's time. My feeling is that whilst we might be guarded about our optimism for their other products, speakers is definitely something to get excited about and in the whole world of AV, where nearly everything released is so just so mundane, a new B&O speaker is by Jove a very splendid and mesmerising event.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Jul 9 2017 8:21 AM

BAND'OH!:

9 LEE:

BAND'OH!:

I haven't Lee no. 

We should write our reviews like this - would be so much easier! We could tell manufacturers not to bother sending equipment for us to test and a) write our opinion based on heresy and and b) non-fact.

Ideal.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Jul 9 2017 12:38 PM

I have heard them in person, and they are absolutely superb. The BeoLab 5's are truly excellent, but the 50's are a BL90-'lite' if you will, rather than a BL5-'turbo'.....

If I had the spare money, I'd buy a pair at launch. They are that good.

AngloApulian
Not Ranked
London, UK
Posts 82
Bronze Member
Does anyone have any idea on what the pricing for these will be?
w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
AngloApulian:

Does anyone have any idea on what the pricing for these will be?

Circa £23,000 GBP
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Jul 9 2017 3:46 PM

w5bno123:

Circa £23,000 GBP

I think it was initially £22,000 GBP, but the '£' is so feeble I think it'll be just over £24,000.

Once you hear them though, you'll think they're actually fairly priced!

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Jul 9 2017 5:50 PM

moxxey:

We should write our reviews like this - would be so much easier! We could tell manufacturers not to bother sending equipment for us to test and a) write our opinion based on heresy and and b) non-fact.

Ideal.

Sadly most reviews nowadays are written like that! Many reviews just wrap some text around the official manufacturers specifications and call this "review".

I can understand the pessimistic view a little bit regarding recent products and their faults / problems / ugly design / missing reliability 
from our beloved B & O.
BUT there's only possible speculation and absolutely no basis for reviewing/judging if you didn't see / hear / touch a new and even not released  product in person.

Let's just calm down and be surprised what kind of product we will see in August. As always: I guess we'll have enough room for discussion as soon as we see the Beolab 50 and even after listening to them. Smile

So, come on: Beer

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

That is a fair viewpoint. I will wait and see what they sound like at release. Simon.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Jul 9 2017 8:35 PM

BAND'OH!:

That is a fair viewpoint. I will wait and see what they sound like at release. Simon.

.... and if you say they're poor, I will officially register you with the UK hard of hearing council. ;O)

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

LOL OK Lee fair comment. I don't mean to be negative but I really want to buy into B&O; this is a brand I've always loved, been passionate about and supported for many of my adult years; just feel so disappointed though of late. I hope the BL50s are as good as you say but particularly the new OLED tv because those are what I want to install. Cheers, Simon :)

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 10 2017 9:56 AM

TWG:

Sadly most reviews nowadays are written like that! Many reviews just wrap some text around the official manufacturers specifications and call this "review".

Sort of - proper hands on reviews aren't written like that TWG. But, you do get news sites add "review" to the headline as they want to high up on Goolge - the sooner you can get a "review" written and people often search for "review" on Google, the higher you're likely to be up on the front page. Sadly that's just exploitation to try and beat the system.

But, I think most people here can read the difference between a proper review and a news piece where the journalist has attended a launch party or similar.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

Was just checking out the new software version of my BV14 when this caught my eye...

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 394
Bronze Member
jans replied on Thu, Jul 13 2017 6:45 PM
kuyttendaele:

Was just checking out the new software version of my BV14 when this caught my eye...

Probably that's not 'as planned'?

Or viral marketing 'new style'?! UnsureUnsure
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Well spottet, kuyttendaele ;-)

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Well spottet, kuyttendaele ;-)

MM

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
I find the idea of an acoustic lens worrying. B&O sought to get rid of it in their BL90 as it didn't produce the best sound but now they pop it back in. Before I get accused of criticising the BL5 or accused of saying it was a bad speaker, I thought the BL5 a massive step up and it solved some problems but only partially. It was a good speaker for its time and very proud of B&O on that project. But....the lens would shriek at moderate to high volumes, lacked in midrange tonality, couldn't go loud enough and sounded muffled and lacked detail at low volumes in late night listening - all of these compared to PSI Audio A25M monitors in my living room in the same position. Of course I don't want the PSIs as they amazingly ugly monkey coffins but customers moving on from a BL5 want a big step up in audio performance in that price range. Can't but help think they've been a bit lazy on this project and should have been aiming for a BL90 smaller brother. Yes, yes...some of you are going to say that they weren't aiming for that with this speaker, to which I will say 'well, that's precisely where they should be going. I hope I'm very wrong because I love B&O and this is precisely the speaker I've been saving up for but it will have to sound a lot better than the BL5 and follow a radical aesthetic path. I hope I am wrong, very wrong!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Jul 13 2017 7:32 PM
Lee did say they were little brothers to the BL90 rather than big brothers to the BL5. So hopefully that is exactly what you are looking for @Seethroughyou.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Time will tell, won't it!

In approx 8 weeks we will know.

9 LEE is enthusiastic - he has actually heard them.

MM

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Thu, Jul 13 2017 7:38 PM
If you seethroughus why write the post? Stick out tongue
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680