Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Form 1 foam pad drawing

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Mikael
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 58
Gold Member
Mikael Posted: Mon, Oct 1 2012 6:08 PM
Hi, I won an internet auction the other day. It was a pair of Form 1 headphones. Since they (as do many) miss the foam pads they went cheap. I emailed one of the sponsor companies that used to sell the B&O restoration kit. But it seems it is no longer available. So I'm thinking why not try and make my own. Trouble is I don't have any reference to start from. So do any of you guys have Form1 with the pads intact and are willing to take close ups and make a drawing? I saw online that some guy actually did retrofit Form 2 pads with good sounding results but that looks wrong I guess. And does not solve the prism like comfort foam piece above each element. Best regards, Mikael

Beocenter Overture | Beolink passive | CX100 | CX50 

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 5:15 PM

I have Form 1s which were purchased from Lee's shop last year.  Lee's shop had restored them with the B&O kit so the pads are in perfect shape.

How can I help?

Mikael
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 58
Gold Member
Mikael replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 8:43 PM

Hi,

Great! Since the kit is obsolete I'm thinking of making a drawing of the original foam pads and headrest supports. So I suppose accurate measurements of the two foam pieces on each side. Then some close-up pictures of the same items. Hopefully this could end up as a type of tutorial how to make your own.

Regards,

Mikael

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Mikael,

I have a pair of Form 1s with relatively new pads attached that you can borrow to use as a template. If you pm me your address, I'll post them to you.

Cleve
Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

Well, let me do a first draft here.

The piece that sits on the ear is essentially a rectangle.

42 mm up and down

40 mm front to back

7 mm thick

The density of the foam that sits on the ear is a bit less dense than a pair Sony headphones I have sitting here on my desk.  The piece that sits above the ear is even less dense.

That piece has a cross section very similar to a stylus.  See two posts down.

13 mm at the base

15 mm tall

Tapers down to about 6 mm at the top, which is rounded

35 mm front to back

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

A second view

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

And a sketch of the piece that sits above the ear.  See how it has the cross section of a stylus (inverted)?

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 12:21 AM

Cleviebaby:
Mikael,

I have a pair of Form 1s with relatively new pads attached that you can borrow to use as a template. If you pm me your address, I'll post them to you.

Cleve

Very generous offer of Cleve.  I suggest you take him up on it, if for no other reason to "feel" the density of the foam.

Mikael
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 58
Gold Member
Mikael replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 4:25 AM

Cleviebaby:
Mikael,

Cleve

A very kind offer indeed! I plan to first find sources of suitable foam material. I will get back to you after that. 

Mikael
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 58
Gold Member
Mikael replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 4:33 AM

Rich:

Well, let me do a first draft here.

The piece that sits on the ear is essentially a rectangle.

42 mm up and down

40 mm front to back

7 mm thick

The density of the foam that sits on the ear is a bit less dense than a pair Sony headphones I have sitting here on my desk.  The piece that sits above the ear is even less dense.

That piece has a cross section very similar to a stylus.  See two posts down.

13 mm at the base

15 mm tall

Tapers down to about 6 mm at the top, which is rounded

35 mm front to back

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. Next up is trying to find suitable foam material and make some tests cutting it to shape. I was thinking buying bigger foam pads and then cutting them down to size. But if I find the stuff as raw blocks that would even be better. Suggestions are welcome ofcourse.

boreades
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Bronze Member

Restauration project, certainly not perfect but very comfortable...

Philippe

Jamian
Not Ranked
OREGON, USA
Posts 33
Bronze Member
Jamian replied on Thu, Feb 5 2015 5:31 AM
Hi

I got the dimensions off this forum, created hollow geometry and 3D printed in a flexible materialCool I covered the ear pads in fabric, using a technique similar to the CX100s; pinching the material in small slots at the corners. I have tried a few geometries for the head pads. The ones shown are the best so far, but could be more flexible. Shame the 3D printing material is not black.Wink

Love = My  Beomaster 1001 + Beovox 2700

wokbelly
Not Ranked
Midwest USA
Posts 39
Bronze Member
wokbelly replied on Sat, Dec 11 2021 8:19 PM

You don't have a file of this? id like to send it to a friend of mine so hed print me a pair for my form ones since i don't have a 3d printer

Jamian
Not Ranked
OREGON, USA
Posts 33
Bronze Member
Jamian replied on Mon, Dec 13 2021 2:50 AM

Hi. I am not sure if I still have this file hiding somewhere. I still have the headphones. To be honest, the first attempt is not that great. They are not comfortable to wear for a long time. I want to redesign the parts with more flexibility, when I get the time. 3D tech has come a long way since 2015 :). If I find the files, or conjure up new ones. I’ll post to this thread in the future. 

Love = My  Beomaster 1001 + Beovox 2700

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS