Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 8002 Repair

This post has 347 Replies | 13 Followers

pfcs49
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Bronze Member
pfcs49 replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 8:30 PM

Very great read!

And reminded me of some trees I climbed looking for root causes on these damned lovable decks!

Sonavor:I was reviewing my pictures of the board and the repair steps and realized something. When I reflowed the solder connections on that small processor board, I only did the solder joints on the trace side. That board is a little tricky as there are a number of solder pads (as for those small 4.7nF caps that are on the component side. In those cases, that is the connection to ground. So I hadn't reflowed that side (they are kind of hidden) and I bet that was the source of the problem.

I got present to that problem when C28 inside the processor "can" didn't ground. Boy! Did that lead to a wild goose chase and much frustration!

RAJOD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Silver Member
RAJOD replied on Tue, Sep 16 2014 12:12 AM

Lol the same thing happened to me when I read it.

He would not be denied by the 8002.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Sep 16 2014 4:43 AM

pfcs49:

I hadn't seen this thread until your link to it about the grounding spring on Rajod's 8002 thread. And I bet I know you from VE and you have a PX-2 Yamaha as well? And we both nibbled on a PX-1 that left a bitter taste in my mouth? You're in Oregon? I'm in NJ

Hi Phil, I am just a simple caveman living in a small town in Texas. I am afraid I don't have any Yamaha turntables although I have a lot of Yamaha speakers, preamps and power amps (quite fond of them).

pfcs49:

How can I get either a printed or digital copy that you mention here? I am going over my VE printed copy which resembles the Beo copy (in that much is illegible or barely so) and copying from yours some of the "cues"

Do you mean the service manual?

-sonavor

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

sonavor:
I am just a simple caveman living in a small town in Texas

As you see in Johns avatar, he even has long hair and beard, uncombed. NOT so, he is a truly Beoworlder, helpful, friendly and very knowledgeable in all what he does, his threads interesting and something to learn from.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I have a broken beogram 8002. The "motherboard has a broken corner, and the push-keys unit does not function. everything else should be fine. 

All parts are available, except the platter. (made a clock)

Cosmetically it is very nice. Happy to give away parts for any repair project.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I have a broken beogram 8002. The "motherboard has a broken corner, and the push-keys unit does not function. everything else should be fine. 

All parts are available, except the platter. (made a clock)

Cosmetically it is very nice. Happy to give away parts for any repair project.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

RAJOD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Silver Member
RAJOD replied on Tue, Sep 16 2014 11:14 AM

Keep that parts machine handy.   I might need some getting my third 8002 working.   Not in big hurry though. 

pfcs49
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Bronze Member
pfcs49 replied on Thu, Sep 18 2014 5:22 PM

"Do you mean the service manual?"

Yes-the service manual with higher resolution, please.

Well, I,m not a caveman-just a 67yo VW mechanic in a wheelchair. Nice to find someone else who can actually repair things. We are a vanishing breed!

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Sep 18 2014 9:17 PM

pfcs49:

Yes-the service manual with higher resolution, please.

You must be referring to the schematic diagram with color highlighting on page 4 of this thread. That isn't from a service manual PDF that is available. As mentioned in the page 4 posting, I created that drawing myself from a scan of the original page (from a hard-copy of the service manual). Then I used Photoshop to add the color highlighting to help me trace that particular part. The only PDF versions of the manual I have are from VE and the service manual section of Beoworld (requires Silver level membership). The VE PDF version of the manual has the full schematic as one image in the PDF while the other PDF scan has the schematic broken into multiple images. Neither of those PDF versions are super high quality. I just scanned that one part so I could show the problem I was trying to solve. Most of the time I work from the hard-copy service manuals.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Not too long after putting my Beogram 8002 back in service (the turntable that started this thread), its display started going on the blink. It doesn't affect the turntable performance so I have lived with it for a while as I didn't feel like re-opening this unit.
Lately, I have been working on some Beogram 4002 turntables so I have been in turntable repair mode. I decided it was time to go in a fix this Beogram 8002 display.
Here is a picture of the problem. You can see that 45 RPM displays okay but standby and 33 RPM have problems.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

The second Beogram 8002 I worked on in this thread had an issue with the display that needed a re-solder of the 4.7nF capacitors that are part of the display circuit.  My first step was to go through that exercise.
This picture shows the components that relate to the display circuit.  There are some resistors, capacitors, a few transistors and a display decoder IC (74247).

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Re-soldering those display components did not fix the problem so the next step was to pull the components and measure them. I suspected the capacitors and maybe the transistors but I needed to remove most of the components anyway because space is very tight. I was glad I had added a socket for the IC as that made it easy to get out of the way.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

These are the components I removed to check. Some of the 4.7nF capacitors were way out of tolerance.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I replaced all of the 4.7nF capacitors when I re-installed the components.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

John did you get my PM about pegs

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

That did the trick. The display is working properly again.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Jan 8 2015 5:36 PM

Hi Søren,
Yes...I thought I had replied but when I checked the conversation I can see I didn't so I just now sent you a response.
Thanks!

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Last year I acquired a couple more Beogram 8002 turntables as part of systems (one in a Beosystem 8000, the other with a Beomaster 6000). Both turntables were in excellent physical condition.  One had power and appears to work okay, the other will not power up. While I am in Beogram repair mode I decided to look at both of these units last week.  On the unit that would not power up, I went through the circuit boards and performed the re-flow of the solder joints as I recapped the boards.  There were still problems with the power so I swapped out the transformer and the Beogram came to life. The turntable was not working correctly though. It had problems with its control logic. Play would start the turntable up and speeds would switch.  however, the Stop function had problems and I experienced the turntable spinning in the wrong direction. I had one spare CPU left for this series of turntable so I decided to try it. That appears to have been the problem.  The BG8002 appears to be functioning with correct logic now. I still need to go through and check the service manual adjustment procedures but I think this unit is almost ready for action again. On the second turntable, I need to decide if I will just do a thorough cleaning and lubrication, or if I will also do a recap.  If this were a Beogram 4002 I would definitely do a recap.  The circuit boards on the 8002 are so small and touchy that it is tempting to put off working them.  I do plan to get rid of these two units though so having them both recapped would be good piece of mind.

Here is a picture of the circuit board of the one I just got working.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

That leaves me with no more spare processors for the Beogram 8002.
Here are two of my bad processors.  The top one is out of a Beogram 8002 unit I got for parts last year.  The processor doesn't look standard.  It may have been someone's attempt at a substitute.  It doesn't work at all.  The bottom one is the one that came out of this latest Beogram 8002. The spare I had on hand appears to be the same kind and appears to work.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is a picture of the replaced processor in the Beogram 8002. The numbers on it match the one I took out so I think I am good on this one.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

In working on several of these Beogram 800x series now, I have found a very useful tool. Any idea why this tool works well on a Beogram 8002 (or 8000) ?

hamacbleu
Top 500 Contributor
Québec, Canada
Posts 194
Bronze Member
hamacbleu replied on Sun, Jan 11 2015 4:13 AM
To catch back the three suspension metal hooks when they fall at the bottom of the deck?
Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

That Rockwell chip (Rockwell is no longer in that business anyway) looks very much like a programmable EPROM. 

So, if someone was able to read the data out of a good chip, it would be possible to source another non-original chip, but with the same specs, and program that new chip.

I will talk to some IC-gurus in the US, and see if any of them can shed some light on that.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

hamacbleu:
To catch back the three suspension metal hooks when they fall at the bottom of the deck?

Very close. I got tired of managing needle-nose pliers on the tips of those wire loops (metal hooks) as I depress the leaf springs when opening up the Beogram and when finishing up.  With the little hook tool I can easily grab the wire loop and hold it up as I maneuver the leaf spring off (or on).

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

This is a better picture to show how it makes managing the chassis suspension easier.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I just have the final stages of restoration left on this one.  I let some orange GooGone gel soak into the old double-sided tape residue overnight.  Then it scrapes off easily.  I do that on all of the pieces that have the tape residue.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Menahem Yachad:

That Rockwell chip (Rockwell is no longer in that business anyway) looks very much like a programmable EPROM. 

So, if someone was able to read the data out of a good chip, it would be possible to source another non-original chip, but with the same specs, and program that new chip.

I will talk to some IC-gurus in the US, and see if any of them can shed some light on that.

I have never seen a 40-pin EPROM, and these are definitely microcontrollers. Mostek 3870 is a one-chip implementation of Rockwell F8.

Both of these chips clearly have a B&O part number stamped on them from the semiconductor plant (top 8340285, bottom 8340454) so any of us locals can leaf through the service manuals to try and find the product they belong into. I can confirm 8340454 is listed in the Beogram 8002 service manual. The other could be just a different software revision or from some completely different product, installed by someone who doesn't understand that the chip contains the product specific firmware as well.

Anyway, even if you could read the code out, it's not going to be of much use. The program code is in ROM and fixed at the time of chip manufacture. That's why the B&O part number is stamped on them already at the semiconductor plant. Therefore you won't find a blank chip to reprogram. Or, good luck finding one of the development chips with a socket for a piggypacked EPROM, at their time horribly expensive:

--mika

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jan 11 2015 10:13 AM

Mika is right; This is correctly a CPU with a built-in ROM. It has been produced for B&O as a custom chip, you cannot read out the code of its ROM.

BTW 8340285 is a Beomaster 6000 processor. It was produced the same way but obviously won't work in a Beogram. Good chance it
won't work in a Beomaster 6000 either now.

If you want to replace it with something modern, you will have to go through the same paces as Tim did with the Beomaster 8000 twin CPU.

Martin

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
Posts 155
Silver Member

John, I am very gratefull you are taking the time to photograph and detail how you are doing even the small things like removing glue and using your hook tool. For the experienced out there this may be familiar territory but to us with less experience this is both interesting and helpful. Thanks!

John

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

After the GooGone has set in for a while (I left mine over night), a plastic scraper and some paper towels can remove most of the old glue residue.  What is left after that can be cleaned off with some ammonia and towels (plus sometimes, just bare thumbs).

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

This is the completely cleaned up BG8002 tonearm bay lid.  Ready for re-attachment to the hinge.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is the cleaned up deck

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here are the cleaned up deck panels.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

I will have to reinstall the panels tomorrow or the next day.
To wrap up this BG8002 I performed the set down position check (SO Switch, the Manual << and > >> adjustment and a speed check.

The Manual << and > >> adjustment is on page 5-3 of the service manual. I performed it on my second BG8002 in this thread back on page 16.  It is worth showing again as it is probably over-looked.
You put your negative DVM probe on P5-3, then measure with your positive probe on P5-4 while turning adjustment screw "A".  You measure P5-6 when adjusting screw "B".  In both cases you try to adjust for a voltage of 620mVDC after the Beogram has been running for at least five minutes.
Here is my P5-4 to P5-3 adjustment -

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is the speed check (using the same homemade test disk as on my BG400x projects...with my digital tachometer).  The 33.33 RPM and 45.00 RPM speeds were good as you would expect with this turntable.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

While doing the Manual << and > >> adjustment I noticed that I forgot the lock down screw for the BG8002 processor box (that secures it to the main PCB.  So I opened up the Beogram one more time and secured it.
Another thing to note about this Beogram 8002 and the one before it (in this thread), this circuit board doesn't have the additional resistor across the tonearm drive motor.  Was that resistor added as a service modification later by B&O ?  The resistor on the previous BG8002 in this thread can be seen on page 13.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jan 12 2015 8:55 AM

Not many Beograms are exactly like the one shown here.
There are countless versions and there were lots of minor revisions and production changes.
As you have also noted, even your own two decks are not identical.

Nice thread and great photos!
Remember to do all work in an antistatic environment. The processor in particular, is a sensitive little thing and
there are far from plenty of them around.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Jan 12 2015 5:29 PM

Dillen:

Remember to do all work in an antistatic environment. The processor in particular, is a sensitive little thing and
there are far from plenty of them around.

Martin

Thanks Martin, that is a good point to emphasize.  When I set up my workbench I put down an antistatic, top mat.  Whenever I work on a PCB with sensitive components I use a grounding wrist strap that also connects to my bench ground and to the board (or audio device) ground.

Another thing to remember is to take great care when removing and installing the integrated circuit devices into their sockets. The larger the IC (number of pins), the more careful you need to be. It is very easy to bend the pins and even break them. Don't make the IC the first suspect in a problem. Check out the surrounding circuitry first and really make sure it is necessary to mess with the IC (especially one of these processors).  For instance, if you have a dead Beogram 800x, first check out that all of the voltages are present, the grounds are good, before thinking the processor is dead. Use the service manual to determine where to measure the supply voltages.  On so many of the problems I have run into on these turntables, a lot of the problems have been small things like connections that have broken with age.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

This thread has a similar picture to this but for completeness of this latest BG8002 project I figured I would include this photo. It shows the preparation for re-attaching the Beogram deck panels and shows the static discharge spring in place (must be in place prior to attaching the panel).

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member

Here is the latest BG8002 project completed and in my test room. I attached an MMC2 cartridge and put on some Stevie Ray Vaughan.  The Beogram sounds wonderful of course.  Now just one more of these 8002 units to go, then I can start on the BG4000 project.  I am anxious to start the other project but will be patient and careful with the last 8002 Beogram.  One thing I hope this thread has shown is that these decks are really fantastic machines but they are also very delicate.  You have to go slowly and check everything carefully.

Page 7 of 9 (348 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS