Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram CD50 skips a few seconds in first track

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

type81
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 15
Silver Member
type81 Posted: Mon, Dec 27 2021 8:11 PM

Hi all,

I Have a small problem with a CD50, hopefully someone knows what to do.
When I insert a CD, this CD starts playing for approx. 4 seconds.

After the first 4 seconds the laser carriage moves for the first time a little bit.

This causes that the track skips a few seconds, from 4 seconds to approx. 10 seconds. 
I'm not sure, but it feels like it has something to do with the end switch. I have adjusted it according to the service manual, and even changed it with a donor switch. But it doesn't help.

Any ideas?

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Dec 27 2021 10:16 PM

Hello,

You need to lubricate the disc motor. It’ll solve this.

But this is not for the faint-hearted, just a drop of oil won’t do.

Jacques

Tassos
Top 500 Contributor
Athens
Posts 323
Bronze Member
Tassos replied on Tue, Dec 28 2021 6:23 AM

Hello as Jacques said it is quite some work when you need to "service" a CD50. If I recall correctly there is a thread which describes how to change the belt of the CD50 which I found very helpful in order to dismantle the whole mechanism and reach the most intimate parts of the CD50.Big Smile I would suggest that  you also have a belt just in case you need to change it.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Dec 28 2021 7:39 AM

To me it sounds like a problem with the tracking.
After the first 4-7 playing seconds comes the first movement of the laser block on its rails.
If the tracking mechanism has to much play or runs rough for some reason, or if the laser block moves with a wrong amount of friction on its rails, the
resulting movement of the laser block will be "jerky".

This will be particularly expressed from the beginning of the disc, because the last
movement of the laser block at this time, gears mesh etc. was in the other direction.

Martin

type81
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 15
Silver Member
type81 replied on Tue, Dec 28 2021 8:59 AM

Tassos:

Hello as Jacques said it is quite some work when you need to "service" a CD50. If I recall correctly there is a thread which describes how to change the belt of the CD50 which I found very helpful in order to dismantle the whole mechanism and reach the most intimate parts of the CD50.Big Smile I would suggest that  you also have a belt just in case you need to change it.

The belt is already changed. I'm quite familiar with the CD50 and have seen all gears already.
Also, if the belt is bad this would cause other problems. Slow opening/closing of the tray, and slow or no lifting of the CD.
So servicing has already been done but the problem stays

type81
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 15
Silver Member
type81 replied on Tue, Dec 28 2021 9:02 AM

Dillen:

To me it sounds like a problem with the tracking.
After the first 4-7 playing seconds comes the first movement of the laser block on its rails.
If the tracking mechanism has to much play or runs rough for some reason, or if the laser block moves with a wrong amount of friction on its rails, the
resulting movement of the laser block will be "jerky".

This will be particularly expressed from the beginning of the disc, because the last
movement of the laser block at this time, gears mesh etc. was in the other direction.

Martin

I think you are right but I did already clean the old grease and regreased the carriage and the tracking mechanism (wormgear and gears). I will check the parts again, 

Thanks

type81
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 15
Silver Member
type81 replied on Tue, Dec 28 2021 10:18 AM

You were right Martin.

I disassembled the carriage again and cleaned and regreased the whole bunch of gears and gliding parts again.
Tested it with several discs, and it looks like the problem is solved. (holding my breath and hoping it really is)

Thanks again
Eddy

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Dec 28 2021 11:39 AM
I did the motor as per Tim Jarman’s advice a few years ago on my first CD50 and all those odd symptoms disappeared.

I still use this one and it’s still fine.

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS