Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 4400 restoration help

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Filip
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
Posts 72
Gold Member
Filip Posted: Thu, Feb 3 2022 6:11 PM

Hello fellow Bang&Olufsen enthusiasts,

I recently bought a used (well, they all are at this point) Beomaster 4400 that was in desperate need of a recapping. So, I have changed all the caps and also the light bulbs, and there is some good news:

1) The Beomaster turns on, the lights for ON and The S-meter as well as the stereo LED and the two stereo lamps are working. 

2) I have adjusted the no load current and the heat sink stays cool.

3) I have sound in the head phone jack :)

The bad news: When I check the 35v rail, I get nothing. So I am presuming the protection relay is active, though I hear no click when turning the BM on?

I have been measuring the transistors and TR11, 115, 120 and 217 look suspicious. Since I am not a radio technician, I humbly ask you if there is anything obvious I am overlooking.

/Filip

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 6:23 PM

hi.....does the overload lamp come on?

Craig

Filip
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
Posts 72
Gold Member
Filip replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 6:25 PM

No - the overload lamp is off

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 6:32 PM

If the lamp is good You should go back over all of the capacitors you have replaced and confirm you have installed them in the correct polarity, It's very easy to get one the wrong way around......

Filip
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
Posts 72
Gold Member
Filip replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 6:42 PM

The lamp is good. Alrighty - I will try to see if I have changed the polarity on them though I was very careful when replacing them.

Filip
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
Posts 72
Gold Member
Filip replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 7:01 PM

Well, well - C132 does indeed appear to be inserted with wrong polarity according to the board. I will switch polarity after my dinner and see how that goes.

Filip
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
Posts 72
Gold Member
Filip replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 7:36 PM

Changing the polarity of C132 made no difference

Filip
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
Posts 72
Gold Member
Filip replied on Thu, Feb 3 2022 7:36 PM

So there is a discrepancy on the board vs. the schematics of C132. I think I trust the schematics more so will reverse it again.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Feb 4 2022 2:01 AM

Hi,

Do not interpret the polarity by the circuit board.  Sometimes the schematic can be wrong but sometimes the board indication (the white, circle) doesn't always mean the negative side of the capacitor goes there.  

Ideally the best scenario is you are recapping an original B&O board that hasn't been worked on.  In that case you can follow how the capacitors are installed and replace them one at a time, keeping the polarity as you found in the original.

If you no longer have that luxury then you will have to analyze the circuit and figure out how that is on the actual board and determine the correct polarity that way.  That can be kind of a pain but is a learning experience :-).

Another option is to take advantage of this Beoworld Forum and where you are in doubt about a certain capacitor - take a nice photo (maybe a couple) and post it here.  Some Beoworld workbench members will be able to look at it and tell you which way the polarity goes.

-sonavor

Filip
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
Posts 72
Gold Member
Filip replied on Wed, Feb 9 2022 3:06 PM

Alrighty, if somebody could help with identifying if any caps have the wrong polarity, that would be great. 

priklep
Top 500 Contributor
Slovakia
Posts 103
Bronze Member
priklep replied on Wed, Feb 9 2022 3:29 PM

I sent you a PM with photos. I have reccaped and fully working BM4400 (kit from Dillen).

Filip
Not Ranked
Copenhagen, *Denmark
Posts 72
Gold Member
Filip replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 1:18 PM

Thank you - I will look into that. 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Feb 10 2022 3:27 PM

Check for cracked solder joints at- and around the relay.
Check that the relay is working.
Check for presence of any DC on the speaker outputs.

Martin 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Fri, Feb 11 2022 10:39 AM

You say you have adjusted the no load current........yet have no power at the 35v rail? where are you trying to measure the 35v....

Craig

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS