Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram CD 50, Mexico

rated by 0 users
This post has 205 Replies | 6 Followers

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 11:01 PM

Hi!

I've got my very own CD50! Smile

First problem to solve, the tray won't get out...

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

Hi!

Congratz Jacques, its a very good player, Tray problem is probably belt or old grease, if you can hear the motor, if not, the 2 contacts to check.

I play mine a lot, and love it more each day

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 11:32 PM

chartz:

Hi!

Congrats with your CD50. Well -then it's nice that you can just watch Søren's 'step-by-step manual' here to solve the problem. Yes - thumbs up

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Fri, Jun 29 2012 12:10 AM

I actually picked up another one not to long ago. It is the CD player I listen to most often. I just like it better than the others I have.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 1:08 PM

Hi,

Well after lubrication, the tray remains desperately slow. The belt is good.

Then the CD never reaches the motor platter (it won't clamp onto it) so it won't even turn and rejects the CD. Something must be badly adjusted, but I can't find the problem.

The thing was opened before, there are markings on the mechanism gear wheels.

Where should I look?

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:
Where should I look?

Jacques, Did you strip the tray mechanism down to the last gear wheel, in mine it was just cleaning and lubricating, if the tray closes slow all the way something is wrongly adjusted or placed, Check the 4 plastic pieces which guides the tray, they are different sizes, and placed wrong, they will make the tray gear bar press to hard against the gear wheel. On the front flap (door) the operating arm is attached with a screw, if the screw is too tight adjusted the tray will slow down when closing the flap. But this only affect the tray movement the last bit before closing.

Remember to mark everything before taking it apart.

Søren

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 2:54 PM

Thanks. What about the disc not clamping?

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

This may have to do with the closing slow, and the drawer does not come all the way in, or not fast enough to operate the the lift all the way up.

Before starting fixing anything with the lift and disc holding mechanism, we must have the full movement of the tray.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 3:13 PM

It won't lift up to the motor spindle if no CD is loaded, it will then just pull the tray in and close the door.
Sounds like something is not right with the opto sensing (if you have a CD loaded, that is).

Martin

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 3:21 PM

Søren Mexico:

chartz:

This may have to do with the closing slow, and the drawer does not come all the way in, or not fast enough to operate the the lift all the way up.

Before starting fixing anything with the lift and disc holding mechanism, we must have the full movement of the tray.

It has been a few years now but I had one that was nothing more than a good cleaning, relube, belt, and gear realignment. Plays perfectly now at the dance studio art space. The gearing can slip out of alignment a bit over time, caused by worn or slipping belt, forcing or assisting the tray open or closed dried grease. also there is a small bottom cam the hold the upper large flywheel in place that can pop loose.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 3:42 PM

The clamp does go up, but fails to catch the motor spindle. It plays a CD when it is manually clamped with a rubber puck, when the mech is face up!

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 4:48 PM

Okay, silly me (?) it was all down to setting the brass piece over the big wheel. Too high and the disc won't be clamped, too low and the puck will rub on its holder!

This setting is not mentioned in the SM?

The tray problem: some stupid idiot had replaced the belt with one that was muuuch too tight... I guess the guy had started fixing it and then gave up. Angry

but Smile for me!

Anyway, another fine CD50 for... €30! It even looks very nice!

Dillen:

It won't lift up to the motor spindle if no CD is loaded, it will then just pull the tray in and close the door.
Sounds like something is not right with the opto sensing (if you have a CD loaded, that is).

Martin

Well the height setting even affected that! Now the sensor works and the puck fails to rise if there's no CD in the tray. Very clever.

Anyway that should also be marked before taking it off!

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 4:54 PM

Now testing for sound... it lives! Datalink also works with my BM5500... SWEET! Smile

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 5:29 PM

Well my friends, that CD50 is indeed a very sweet sounding CD player. Not bad at all for a machine that was based on an Aiwa machine from 1983!

See here: DX1200

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

Well my friends, that CD50 is indeed a very sweet sounding CD player. Not bad at all for a machine that was based on an Aiwa machine from 1983!

See here: DX1200

I love mine, play it more nearly every day, I have a bunch of older and newer Philips, some sony but this one is the best by far.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 5:51 PM

Søren, I have to say thank you for this subject, thanks to which I could get a clear idea of the surgery I was going to do!

One thing however, about the brass locking thingy, how did you know the way to adjust it? Sheer luck or very meticulous observation, like, "I'm going to count the turns and mark the angular position"? Big Smile

Jacques

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 6:26 PM

chartz:

Søren, I have to say thank you for this subject, thanks to which I could get a clear idea of the surgery I was going to do!

One thing however, about the brass locking thingy, how did you know the way to adjust it? Sheer luck or very meticulous observation, like, "I'm going to count the turns and mark the angular position"? Big Smile

They are all different - depends on the spindle setting which can vary from machine to machine. as Peter often says no 2 were ever built the same. One of the things i like about all of mine is the occaisonal  ping and pop or crackle or wow and flutter a bit. Has a definite analog feel to it.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I didnt have to adjust mine, but as far as I remember, there is an adjustment on the lift, I think the locking thingy is fixed as it depend on distance to the Laser.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 2:05 PM

My own pizza boxes! Pity the BG5005 lid sags Sad

"Two CD players in the stack?"  I hear you say. And why not please? Stick out tongue

Yes, that's an A77 at right, and a Nak CR-4 below. I am also currently working on Uher Reports!

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Nice stack Jacques, the sagging lid you can fix with an aluminum or chromed steel angle 3 x 5 Mm glued (epoxy) to the back edge of the lid.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 5:13 PM

chartz:

My own pizza boxes! Pity the BG5005 lid sags Sad

"Two CD players in the stack?"  I hear you say. And why not please? Stick out tongue

Yes, that's an A77 at right, and a Nak CR-4 below. I am also currently working on Uher Reports!

Nice setup, Jacques.  I love to see systems with more pieces than my own, that way I can point my wife to them and say, "See, honey, I don't have nearly the same number of pieces as Jacques (Soren, Mika, Jeff, Evan, John, etc.)"

And then she says, "No, you can't have the Beogram 1000."

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:

Nice setup, Jacques.  I love to see systems with more pieces than my own, that way I can point my wife to them and say, "See, honey, I don't have nearly the same number of pieces as Jacques (Soren, Mika, Jeff, Evan, John, etc.)"

Next time I move my equipment around, I'm going to place everything in one place for a one time pic, I will wait for the BM 4400 to come, the next S75 on the bay will be mine if the price is right.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 6:59 PM

Rich:

Sell something, or talk her into believing you are willing to do so. Then you can have the Beogram.

Stick out tongue

Jacques

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 6:15 PM

chartz:

Rich:

Sell something, or talk her into believing you are willing to do so. Then you can have the Beogram.

Stick out tongue

Some day she's going to realize I spend far more money on "the software" than "the hardware."

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The less you use on hardware, the more you can use on softwareSmile

BTW where do you by your 45 sleeves ??

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
Posts 155
Silver Member
Hello Soren, I know you were asking Rich about where he gets his sleeves, but two sources north of you are Sleevetown.com and Bagsunlimited.com. Sleevetown I just ordered LP outer sleeves from and while postage was more than Bagsunlimited had much lower prices and a nice product. Sleevetown has sever different kinds of both inner and outer sleeves for 7 inch. I am a lurker on the forum because I don't know much technically but love B&O and the comments on the forum are interesting and enlightening. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you all share. John
Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

jfrancis:
I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you all share. John

Thank you John, we help each other, as you just helped meBig Smile

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 12:58 AM

Lp sleeves at elusive disc and 45 sleeves at sleeve city

EDIT:

Links:  Elusive Disc LP inner sleeves

Elusive Disc LP outer sleeves

Sleeve City 45 sleeves

The inner sleeve for 45's I use is the "7 inch Polylined" all the way to the bottom of the linked page.  I use the "Ultimate 7" 2.5mil Polypro Outer Record Sleeve" (third entry from the top) as my 45 outer sleeve.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 1:00 AM

jfrancis:
Hello Soren, I know you were asking Rich about where he gets his sleeves, but two sources north of you are Sleevetown.com and Bagsunlimited.com. Sleevetown I just ordered LP outer sleeves from and while postage was more than Bagsunlimited had much lower prices and a nice product. Sleevetown has sever different kinds of both inner and outer sleeves for 7 inch. I am a lurker on the forum because I don't know much technically but love B&O and the comments on the forum are interesting and enlightening. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you all share. John

Sleevetown and sleeve city are the same joint

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:
The inner sleeve for 45's I use is the "7 inch Polylined" all the way to the bottom of the linked page.  I use the "Ultimate 7" 2.5mil Polypro Outer Record Sleeve" (third entry from the top) as my 45 outer sleeve.

Thanks for the links Rich, have the same problem as you do, a lot of 45s without sleeves, of 500 I think I have 100 sleeves, and many of these in very bad condition

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:04 PM

Hi,

It seems that the CD50 has developed a problem.  

On some CDs, but not all of them, the first track will not be found, or the track will start playing at 15 seconds, or in the worst case, the CD won't be read at all, ejecting it (best case) or making the player impossible to turn off without pulling the plug.

Other CDs don't seem to pose any problems at all.

The bad motor lubrication syndrome? Can you give me advice on how to do it? How does the motor come apart if it comes to that then?

Thanks. 

Jacques

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 1:47 AM

chartz:

Hi,

It seems that the CD50 has developed a problem.  

On some CDs, but not all of them, the first track will not be found, or the track will start playing at 15 seconds, or in the worst case, the CD won't be read at all, ejecting it (best case) or making the player impossible to turn off without pulling the plug.

Other CDs don't seem to pose any problems at all.

The bad motor lubrication syndrome? Can you give me advice on how to do it? How does the motor come apart if it comes to that then?

Thanks. 

Make sure you remember how all of the little nylon spacer washers are set. If I remeber correctly a small allen wrench and a couple screews and the whole thing comes apart. Dillen told me to relube with 30 weight oil . The is a small instruction in the manual for setting distances on the disc drum but it is bogus. you will just have to sort through it.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 7:43 AM

chartz:
On some CDs, but not all of them, the first track will not be found, or the track will start playing at 15 seconds,

Although it is quite likely to be a spindle motor problem (the innermost track #1 needs the most rotational speed, and the player might not reach it before giving up), I believe skipping some seconds at the start is a common feature of these silly players. Mine certainly did it, most often if you were returning from the last tracks. I vaguely remember reading about a service bulletin that increased some timeout related to this...

--mika

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 8:27 AM

Thanks mates!

Any photos by any chance?

Jacques

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Founder
hemenex replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 9:06 AM

Hi charts,

had a similar problem not playing the first track and sometimes hard to find the others.

Did a radial bias & focus bias offset calibration to 0mV and it ran.

tournedos:
I believe skipping some seconds at the start is a common feature of these silly players. Mine certainly did it, most often if you were returning from the last tracks. I vaguely remember reading about a service bulletin that increased some timeout related to this...

good memory Wink

Worth a try...

Gunther

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 10:17 AM

Thank you Gunther. 

Today the player runs fine. I did nothing. 

Yesterday morning it all started with a Beatles 2011 CD that my CDX also finds hard to read.

Is it possible that it perturbed the player like that? Surprise

I will check on that radial balance setting nonetheless. Hoping not upsetting anything!

By the way, do you consider a CDR burnt at the X1 speed is a "zero default" CD? Or a CD made in 1982 perhaps? 

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:
Today the player runs fine. I did nothing

I have had problems with first seconds on the first track and lately not reading the first CD, but both failures only when coming of standby or disconnected for longer time, after playing one CD the next one starts OK, and it reads all kind of CDs, CD-R, CD-RW, and a pirat copy someone gifted me.

As I have mine open for belt change, I will go look for a 100Kohm resistor and solder it in, will report back with more and pics.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 9:18 PM

So we have the same problem exactly!

It would be nice if the radial balance setting solved our problem. Let's find out shall we?

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I will try with the 100K resistor first, but I only found a 100KR 2W in my stock, and I think it should be a 1/4W so I will have to go and buy one tomorrow.

I do not like to adjust the focus and radial balance, as the laser works and focus OK after playing one CD I don't think that there are problems there.

If the resistor do not solve the problem I will go there.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Just took a look in the manual, to make the focus adjustment a oscilloscope is needed, so its a no go for me, unless its sufficient with a DMM.

Page 2 of 6 (206 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS