Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 9000 Mk2 - PCB41 issue?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

arj_z
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
arj_z Posted: Thu, Sep 3 2020 5:31 AM

Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader from Australia here. I have been a B&O enthusiast for a few years now and it is amazing to see the incredible knowledge and support from members here. 

I recently purchased a BS9000 Mk2 from another city and the seller did not disclose issues with the device. I only found out after delivery that CDs do not play. I cleaned all the sensors and tried cleaning the laser but had no luck. The clamper mechanism works ok and clamps the CD fine. When attempting to read the disc, I can hear the laser trying to focus/read the disc for a few seconds, after which the disc spins ~2 degrees clockwise and then in reverse at high speed. I then get the dreaded "CD PAUSE" message. From reading various posts on this forum, I put this down to a dead laser. The main reason I purchased a Mk2 over Mk3 was due to the availability of replacement lasers in the market. So no problem, right? Wrong! After disassembly, I found that the CD mechanism has been updated to a VAM1250 at some point (the CD mech says VAM1250 not VAM1250/21LF as I was expecting). So I'm now in the same boat as Mk3 owners with hard to find replacement kits/lasers.

I took a chance and ordered a replacement laser  that were supposedly from old unused Philips VAM1250 drives, but as expected, this did not work. I have the exact same symptoms as before. I did run through TM71 and TM73 after the laser replacement. TM71 passes ok but TM73 fails with "CD ERROR 2" and looking through TM27, I also have "APS ERROR 15" after running the test.

I also ran TM63 and this is where things get a little tricky - the turntable motor spins for half a second clockwise and then stops and rapidly starts running for a few seconds anti-clockwise. I know from the service manual that PCB41 controls the turntable motor and laser, but this then leaves me with a few questions:

1) Is it possible that one of the ICs on PCB41 is faulty leading to the rapid anti-clockwise rotation of the CD?

2) What are the main differences with PCB41 with 40/41/42 printed on them? Will all three work with a Mk2 that has been updated to a Mk3? (I'm assuming those numbers are just revisions with different components used on them)

3) Is it common for PCB41 fail?

4) Are there any common failure points with the APS sensors (I can see the red light under the clamper when looking up towards the APS disc, so assuming all ok)? Is there anything else I should be looking at? 

5) Lastly, any lead as to where I might be able to source a new CD mechanism / new old kit "8420001"?

Thanks for taking the time to read this - any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

A

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Thu, Sep 3 2020 7:02 AM

can you take a photo of the laser head ?

arj_z
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
arj_z replied on Thu, Sep 3 2020 7:13 AM

Hi marexy,

Please see below a picture of the old laser head - is it the one with circular pins not vertical. The replacement is identical to the original. Hope this helps:

Cheers,

- A

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Thu, Sep 3 2020 7:42 AM

Yapp....it is hard to find..but it is possible.

I think only issue yoi have i laser head.

arj_z
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
arj_z replied on Thu, Sep 3 2020 8:02 AM

Thanks. Any suggestions as to where I should look for a replacement laser? I'm trying to avoid eBay, but might not have a choice...

The response of the CD motor to TM63 is what has got me wondering if it is PCB41 that is faulty - why would the CD move in the right direction for a very short burst and then quickly reverse directions and continue to spin for a few seconds (almost uncontrollably)?

JoDap
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
JoDap replied on Thu, Sep 3 2020 8:33 AM

Sorry, I can't provide an answer, but I have exactly the same problem with my Ouverture: Laser turns on and moves around, but in the motor spin test mode, the CD starts spinning clockwise for a second and then spins anticlockwise very fast.

I tested also my BS 9000 (MK I) for reference: in TM 63 the disc spins clockwise in a typical speed for playback

Please let me know if you find a solution

Peter
Top 500 Contributor
Siemianowice Sl., Poland
Posts 111
Bronze Member
Peter replied on Thu, Sep 3 2020 9:23 AM

Hi,

from my experience with VAM 1250 is that I had/have a working CD recorder ( Marantz DR4050 or Philips CDR775) where that VAM is placed. So I am able to check if the laser is fautly and if I put a sure working laser into BS9000 so if not working I have to search a problem elsewhere.

arj_z
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
arj_z replied on Thu, Sep 3 2020 10:16 AM

JoDap:

Please let me know if you find a solution

Thanks for chiming in JoDap - will let you know once I get to the bottom of it...just need to find some new old stock.

Peter:

Hi,

from my experience with VAM 1250 is that I had/have a working CD recorder ( Marantz DR4050 or Philips CDR775) where that VAM is placed. So I am able to check if the laser is fautly and if I put a sure working laser into BS9000 so if not working I have to search a problem elsewhere.

Ah! Thanks Peter - that is super handy and a good way to test if the laser is at fault. I had a quick look on eBay just now and both of those devices are really hard to come by here. I will save my search just incase something pops up.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Thu, Sep 3 2020 10:48 AM

arj_z:

Hi all,

First time poster, long time reader from Australia here. I have been a B&O enthusiast for a few years now and it is amazing to see the incredible knowledge and support from members here. 

I recently purchased a BS9000 Mk2 from another city and the seller did not disclose issues with the device. I only found out after delivery that CDs do not play. I cleaned all the sensors and tried cleaning the laser but had no luck. The clamper mechanism works ok and clamps the CD fine. When attempting to read the disc, I can hear the laser trying to focus/read the disc for a few seconds, after which the disc spins ~2 degrees clockwise and then in reverse at high speed. I then get the dreaded "CD PAUSE" message. From reading various posts on this forum, I put this down to a dead laser. The main reason I purchased a Mk2 over Mk3 was due to the availability of replacement lasers in the market. So no problem, right? Wrong! After disassembly, I found that the CD mechanism has been updated to a VAM1250 at some point (the CD mech says VAM1250 not VAM1250/21LF as I was expecting). So I'm now in the same boat as Mk3 owners with hard to find replacement kits/lasers.

I took a chance and ordered a replacement laser  that were supposedly from old unused Philips VAM1250 drives, but as expected, this did not work. I have the exact same symptoms as before. I did run through TM71 and TM73 after the laser replacement. TM71 passes ok but TM73 fails with "CD ERROR 2" and looking through TM27, I also have "APS ERROR 15" after running the test.

I also ran TM63 and this is where things get a little tricky - the turntable motor spins for half a second clockwise and then stops and rapidly starts running for a few seconds anti-clockwise. I know from the service manual that PCB41 controls the turntable motor and laser, but this then leaves me with a few questions:

1) Is it possible that one of the ICs on PCB41 is faulty leading to the rapid anti-clockwise rotation of the CD?

2) What are the main differences with PCB41 with 40/41/42 printed on them? Will all three work with a Mk2 that has been updated to a Mk3? (I'm assuming those numbers are just revisions with different components used on them)

3) Is it common for PCB41 fail?

4) Are there any common failure points with the APS sensors (I can see the red light under the clamper when looking up towards the APS disc, so assuming all ok)? Is there anything else I should be looking at? 

5) Lastly, any lead as to where I might be able to source a new CD mechanism / new old kit "8420001"?

Thanks for taking the time to read this - any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

A

The PCB is most likely fine, bad lasers will cause a lot of funny stuff, and I dont think you shuol read a lot into TM63. The motor is spinning. I would not try to "fix" PCB41 in any way, I have never seen any of these PCB's that have been bad, and I must have had 20 or so of MK1-3's where all came back to life with "new" lasers.

Except the early MK1 12.6's They suck big time, and is mostly for parts when that laser dies.

/Weebyx

arj_z
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
arj_z replied on Thu, Oct 8 2020 3:01 PM

Hi all,

Just an update for those that are interested or for those that face a similar issue.  I finally sourced another laser mech (NOS) a few weeks ago and installed it - but the issue persisted. I looked around and found a cheap PCB 41 and decided to give it a go (it is newer than the one I had). I just received it in the post today and swapped it over this evening. TMs 71 and 73 passed the first go. The CDs read 100% and even a slightly scratched disc seem to play fine.  Lets have a Party !!!...so the issue in my case (as low as the failure rates might be) was indeed PCB41!!

Hope this post helps someone facing a similar issue and good luck.

Cheers,

Arj

arj_z
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
arj_z replied on Thu, Oct 8 2020 3:02 PM

Hi all,

Just an update for those that are interested or for those that face a similar issue.  I finally sourced another laser mech (NOS) a few weeks ago and installed it - but the issue persisted. I looked around and found a cheap PCB 41 and decided to give it a go (it is newer than the one I had). I just received it in the post today and swapped it over this evening. TMs 71 and 73 passed the first go. The CDs read 100% and even a slightly scratched disc seem to play fine.  Lets have a Party !!!...so the issue in my case (as low as the failure rates might be) was indeed PCB41!!

Hope this post helps someone facing a similar issue and good luck.

Cheers,

Arj

Gadjetx
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
Gadjetx replied on Sun, Jan 24 2021 10:20 PM

Hi!

I face the same problem as you arj_z and now I am the sad owner of 3 Beosound 9000 MKII Laser Heads.

Could someone please help me to find a PCB41?

Do you think that PCB41 could be fix from a proper technician?

Thank you in advance for any help.

George

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS