Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beo4 Remote - works for about 24hrs and then stops

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

bigtimemcalpine
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
bigtimemcalpine Posted: Mon, Jan 6 2014 7:27 PM

Hi,

I have a beo4 remote that works for about 24hrs until the batteries give out.  I can't quite recall whether the mode is supposed to continously display (i.e. if I press TV, then TV continues to be displayed until I take dead batteries out) or whether the "TV" indicator is supposed to dissappear after a while.  I'm thinking that it is the former and that is why the batteries are giving out but I could be wrong.  Any thoughts out there? 

I'm thinking that the motherboard is faulty...I have a spare lying around that is not working but I could start switching out components if anyone has any suggestions - what are the chances that the defective piece in one is the same as in the other I wonder. 

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

The display should remain lit.   Sounds as if it's constantly transmitting a signal, but then it wouldn't work properly at all.   Try looking at the top of it thru a digital camera (with fresh batteries installed).   If you see a red light, a button is stuck in the depressed position, which would deplete the batteries quickly.

bigtimemcalpine
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Thanks - I tried that.  The signal comes on and off as the buttons are pressed without fail.  The signal turns off once the button is no longer depressed.

bigtimemcalpine
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Thank you for confirming that display should stay on...now you've got me really stumped for ideas.

bigtimemcalpine
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Thank you also for confirming that display should stay on...now you've got me really stumped for ideas.

bigtimemcalpine
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

My quest continues.  I took the remote apart again and cleaned the board with some circuit board cleaner - there seemed to be some crud from a previously leaking battery on the board...this is probably contributing.  Couldn't get all of it off and wasted another three batteries confirmed that the board is still not working.  I think I'll look into getting a new board from B&O.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member

New boards (or at least from previously working BEO4's) come up on eBay - especially ebay.de and will I'm sure be cheaper than B&O.  QDA may also have one as they have lots of spare parts.

Dave.

Franck
Not Ranked
Near Paris
Posts 18
Gold Member

I've got near the same issue with a faulty Beo4 bought from ebay for 20 euros.

The current drain was too high (near 3mA) and after some work I found the culprits: one capacitor of the LCD pump charge was faulty.

now the beo 4 works great :)

I love when a plan comes together

Beogram 4002 / Beocenter 9000 / Beocenter 9500 / RL140 / Beolink 1000 / Beolink 4

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Franck:

I've got near the same issue with a faulty Beo4 bought from ebay for 20 euros.

The current drain was too high (near 3mA) and after some work I found the culprits: one capacitor of the LCD pump charge was faulty.

now the beo 4 works great :)

Well done, you seldom hear about component level repairs on these remotes! Did you find out how the cap was failing (those SMD ceramics should normally last forever) or if it was a leak on the PCB under that cap? 

--mika

Franck
Not Ranked
Near Paris
Posts 18
Gold Member

Thanks Mika :)

I think it's due to electrical stress. the pump charge constantly use the capacitor in the two polarities and that can cause some faillure ;)

a drop can causse the faillure too (by cracks in the dielectric).

the failure was by internal leakage (low impedance) -> high power supply current consumption

I love when a plan comes together

Beogram 4002 / Beocenter 9000 / Beocenter 9500 / RL140 / Beolink 1000 / Beolink 4

Laserolame
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Laserolame replied on Sun, Apr 18 2021 10:46 AM

Hi,

I have the exact same issue with my Beo4. I saw Franck has replaced 3 smd ceramic capacitors. But I can't find nowhere their factory values.

Could someone let me know where I could find a schematic or the values of these capacitors?

Thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS