Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoGram CD 6500 datalink issue ??

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF Posted: Tue, Feb 15 2022 12:04 PM

Hi All,

that BeogramCD showed some strange behaviour, starting off ok but then out of the blue turns itself off incl the Beomaster…….well, that is the interesting point:

does the Beomaster cause the issue and has a problem with the datalink TP1/CD or is it the CD player ??

did a little test and removed Pin 6&7 from the DIN plug of the CD player and reconnected it to the Beomaster…

no sudden shut down and plays through the disc as it should ! The only remaining inconvenience is I can not start or turn off the CD player with the Beolink1000.

i am aware it could be a number of reasons like a uP fault ? With those datalink pins some strange exchange of commands seem to happen.

any ideas, pointers or suggestions ???

kind regards

ALF

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 1:52 PM

You can't place a CD in a TP1 socket. The moment you press Tape, the CD stops.These have different addresses on the bus. When you choose Phono, probably the CD player starts. But as it is on the wrong socket, you will have no sound.

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 2:32 PM

The CD has been plugged in without its datalink pins in its designated CD input !!!

the datalink of CD is connected to TP1 unless I am reading the circuit diagram the wrong way.

regards

ALF

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 5:25 PM

Yes, both tape and phono can be connected on the same datalink. But the tape and phono (CD) react on different instructions over datalink. A CD reacts to the same phono instruction (as it was a successor of the phono. In systems the datalink for CD and Phono then are separated. If you connect the CD on a phono socket, it should also start.  

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 6:02 PM

What Alf says is: connecting the BG CD Datalink to BM TP1 Pin 7 he can control  the BG CD. At least what i can see from the circuit diagramm. The datalink bus 1 for TP1 / CD is connected to Pin 6 _and_ 7 for CD and to Pin 7 for TP2.
The same applies for datalink bus 2 and TP2 / PHONO.

But it doesn't help to locate the error, ecept when the BG CD can not be controlled via beolink remote when the DIN connector is properly wired. Then there's a problem with the CD socket of the BM.

The PHONO input can also be used to check (with PHONO !!! on Beolink remote) because the BM normaly has no RIAA preamp installed, so it's on line level like the other inputs.

Ralph-Marcus

pilatomic
Not Ranked
France
Posts 28
Bronze Member
pilatomic replied on Tue, Feb 15 2022 10:35 PM

Hi Alf,

That's a weird problem !

Maybe there is a timer set on the beomaster ?

With the datapins installed, the only strange behavior is that it turns itself off ? No other random behavior ?

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Wed, Feb 16 2022 4:14 AM

As said previously, with the datalink pins in the plug and connected to the CD input the player plays a couple of tracks

and suddenly its turned off incl the beomaster - just like you press the off key on the Beolink remote.

I will eventually get around to check the CD-input on the BM - at the moment the CD player plays without the datalink pins in its plug.

the whole idea for removing the datalink pins came from testing the cd player disconnected from the system and it was performing fine…

back to connecting it to the system it played-up again with the outcome as described.

ALF

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Sat, Feb 19 2022 6:17 AM

Hi Ralf Marcus,

i certainly won’t rule out that possible source but I have had again a closer look at the Cd player itself:

checked the laser current and ficus offset adjustments which are both within specc: 49mv and 439mv respectively.

however, the player/laser seem to behave erratic in the focus. Whenever a disc won’t play i suspect there is

no “focus movement” up and down of the laser lens ? Given a gentle push and trying again I can see the up-down movement….

and as expected, the CD will play.

Meaning, somewhere is a problem with the focus…….?

the servo board is fully recapped incl. the blue axial philips cap (now a vishay replacement as the philips caps are no longer manufactured)

but….what and where ??

ALF

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Wed, Feb 23 2022 5:53 AM

I may have to give the issue another title as I am tied up with the CD player !

ALF

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS