Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Which subwoofer to pair with BL8000's?

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

LouisV
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
LouisV Posted: Mon, May 7 2012 9:48 PM

As for now I have a pair of BL8000 MKII which I like a lot and their great for jazz and classical but do somhow lack bass for heavier music. Since I can't afford to upgrade to BL5's in the near future, truly a real shame, I'm thinking of pairing my 8000's with a BL2 or a BL11, which one is to prefer? I mainly listen to music but use them sometimes for movies. I read on the forum that BL11 is prefered for music and the BL2 for movies, is this correct?

I'm thinking of buying a second life BL2 or a new BL11, usually I've seen them in the same price range. Is it common to find BL11 second life? And what's usually the price for them?

I would really appreciate your help in this matter since I'm quite new to B&O, thanks!

KingOfSnake
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Bronze Member

Personally I would go for the Beolab 2 - with respect to the owners of this site, I have no need to tout for business, but I am selling a BNIB Beolab 11 for £1300 and a recased BL2 for £1400 or thereabouts, former comes with a 36 months B&O warranty.  With a frequency response of 37hz at the lower end it is difficult in my view to call the Bl11 a sub.  Just check the main reseller websites and you'll soon see.

Gabrielclover
Not Ranked
Jonquière (Québec) Canada
Posts 5
Founder

Bonjour LouisV,

Il y a environ quatre ans j'ai acquis un BEOLAB 2 pour complèter mon BEOSOUND 3000 et des BEOLAB 8000.  Depuis, je suis vraiment très satisfait de la qualité et de la richesse sonore de ce mariage.  Le son est fabuleux peut importe le style de musique que j'écoute: jazz, classique, pop-rock, opéra, lounge, heavy métal, etc.  En fait, je redécouvre tous mes disques...

Je prends un malin plaisir à écouter attentivement les nouveaux sons que j'entends. Je trouve personnellement que l'équilibre entre les fréquences graves voire très graves, moyennes et aiguës est parfait.

Alors n'hésite pas, opte pour le BEOLAB 2.

Salutations.

PierreSmile

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Having literally just traded in a system that had a Beolab 2 and 8000 combination, I can honestly say that the Beolab 11 would be a far more subtle compliment to your music, as opposed to the Beolab 2 which was a scream when watching movies, but a lumbering drunk elephant when it came to music. Timing is not its strong point.

Bass should be part of the ingredient, not the main course!

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, May 8 2012 12:10 PM

Chris Townsend:
a lumbering drunk elephant when it came to music

errrrr

ahem

you been listening to my karaoke sessions !!!

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Yes, but with me doing the dance moves! Not pretty

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, May 8 2012 5:27 PM

I don't quite understand the dislike many on the forum seem to have for the the bl2 + music.  I have a music only system and have long felt the bl2 was one of my best additions.  It transformed my bl8000s (mk1) from great classical/jazz speakers to (mostly) great all around speakers.  I don't understand the boomy and slow comments, except if everybody listens to massive attack (a forum member once pointed me to a song by massive attack that sounded boomy and slow on the bl2, and, in fact, it did... so if you listen to massive attack and similar exclusively, then perhaps bl2 is not for you Big Smile ).  I usually just hear a nice, natural bass extension. 

I recently upgraded to bl1s, and haven't decided what to do with the bl2 - move it to the room with the bl8000s (big improvement) or keep it with the bl1s (subtle improvement, but this is my main listening system so I want it to be the best it can be).  Clearly room dynamics are important with a sub, it took a while for me to find the right placement and switch setting for great sound, but it is possible (at least in the 2 rooms I've used it).  I sort of remember Dave Moulton (co-inventor of ALT technology) once commenting somewhat favorably on the BL2 as well.

There may be non-b&o subs that sound better for less money (don't we always hear this about b&o), but then you're not going to get the cross-over that limits the bass sent to the "downstream" bls (assuming you have them connected in series) and, I assume, they will start screaming at lower volumes (as the ABL kicks in), then with a proper b&o sub.

I would vote for a 2nd hand BL2.

Full disclosure:  I've never listened to the BL11.

Stan

Yendys
Top 500 Contributor
Sydney
Posts 312
Founder
Yendys replied on Tue, May 8 2012 10:01 PM
I'm with you Stan, very happy with BL8s and the BL2 which I spent time getting its placement right together with the switch settings. I've had the BL2 for 10 years and still really enjoy the sound
valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Wed, May 9 2012 7:23 AM

Ditto the last two posts, I have two of them ! The first is with the avant with four bl4000's and it is fantastic but  the way I have it set up for movies it is not as nice for music as my other room.The second is with my lab1's and was used with 8000's before that. Changing from the 8000's to lab1's ment I had to adjust the lab2 settings. I have never had a problem with the lab 2 lagging but I was given the name of a band and a track (forget now) that this was noticeable in. It was jazz- not my cup of tea !

My avant set up would be too much for apartment living but not my lab1 set up. I did borrow a lab 11 from my dealer for the week end and it was a non event for me no matter how I adjusted it. As always it is down to personal taste space and circumstances.Get a pre-loved one.

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Wed, May 9 2012 10:44 AM

I also have the BL 8000 + BL 2 combo and I am very pleased with it. Using the setup options you can adapt it to your personal preferences very easily.

hfat

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Wed, May 9 2012 11:52 AM

Of the two B&O choices offered, I'd go with the Beolab 11 and give the 2 a WIDE berth for music.

However, my first choice would be a B&W PV1!

LouisV
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
LouisV replied on Mon, May 14 2012 7:12 PM

Thank you for your reply! But if I'm just looking to enhance the sound of the BL8000's rather then add a significant feeling of bass, would you still go for the BL2?

LouisV
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
LouisV replied on Mon, May 14 2012 7:19 PM

Gabrielclover:

Bonjour LouisV,

Il y a environ quatre ans j'ai acquis un BEOLAB 2 pour complèter mon BEOSOUND 3000 et des BEOLAB 8000.  Depuis, je suis vraiment très satisfait de la qualité et de la richesse sonore de ce mariage.  Le son est fabuleux peut importe le style de musique que j'écoute: jazz, classique, pop-rock, opéra, lounge, heavy métal, etc.  En fait, je redécouvre tous mes disques...

Je prends un malin plaisir à écouter attentivement les nouveaux sons que j'entends. Je trouve personnellement que l'équilibre entre les fréquences graves voire très graves, moyennes et aiguës est parfait.

Alors n'hésite pas, opte pour le BEOLAB 2.

Salutations.

PierreSmile

Bon soir Pierre!

My french is not what it is supposed to be so even I understand your post I hope you don't mind me replying in english. 

As you put it as a perfect marriage I guess you don't think the bass is overvelming but did you have a hard time to tune it in and placing it right? Which mode do you use? I'm afraid it will be too noticable with an additional 850 watts of bass. 

Best regards,

Louis

LouisV
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
LouisV replied on Mon, May 14 2012 7:22 PM

Chris Townsend:
Having literally just traded in a system that had a Beolab 2 and 8000 combination, I can honestly say that the Beolab 11 would be a far more subtle compliment to your music, as opposed to the Beolab 2 which was a scream when watching movies, but a lumbering drunk elephant when it came to music. Timing is not its strong point.

Bass should be part of the ingredient, not the main course!

That is exactly what I'm afraid of! Did you try to expirement with the settings? Didn't it help or do you just prefere a less noticable bass?

LouisV
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
LouisV replied on Mon, May 14 2012 7:29 PM

Stan:

I don't quite understand the dislike many on the forum seem to have for the the bl2 + music.  I have a music only system and have long felt the bl2 was one of my best additions.  It transformed my bl8000s (mk1) from great classical/jazz speakers to (mostly) great all around speakers.  I don't understand the boomy and slow comments, except if everybody listens to massive attack (a forum member once pointed me to a song by massive attack that sounded boomy and slow on the bl2, and, in fact, it did... so if you listen to massive attack and similar exclusively, then perhaps bl2 is not for you Big Smile ).  I usually just hear a nice, natural bass extension. 

I recently upgraded to bl1s, and haven't decided what to do with the bl2 - move it to the room with the bl8000s (big improvement) or keep it with the bl1s (subtle improvement, but this is my main listening system so I want it to be the best it can be).  Clearly room dynamics are important with a sub, it took a while for me to find the right placement and switch setting for great sound, but it is possible (at least in the 2 rooms I've used it).  I sort of remember Dave Moulton (co-inventor of ALT technology) once commenting somewhat favorably on the BL2 as well.

There may be non-b&o subs that sound better for less money (don't we always hear this about b&o), but then you're not going to get the cross-over that limits the bass sent to the "downstream" bls (assuming you have them connected in series) and, I assume, they will start screaming at lower volumes (as the ABL kicks in), then with a proper b&o sub.

I would vote for a 2nd hand BL2.

Full disclosure:  I've never listened to the BL11.

Stan

First of all, nice set of speakers you have there!

Haha I usually don't listen to Massive attack so it's not an issue, at least not one that will effect my choice of sub. Smile

A non-beo is not an option for me, I agree with the Beoworld slogan "Everything Bang & Olufsen"!

I think you're right and I will most certainly go for a preowned BL 2, thanks for your point of view!

Louis

LouisV
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member
LouisV replied on Mon, May 14 2012 7:33 PM

Yendys, Valve and Hfat;

Thanks for your opinions! Did you have a hard time adjusting it? I'm curious how people can have so different experiences between the two...

DrDimitris
Top 150 Contributor
Greece
Posts 699
Founder

I am on BL2. I have the combo in my house and i am really satisfied. Having rehearsed BL11 on a B&O showroom i have to say i was sdisspointed. So was the dealer. BL11 is for adding bass on speakers like BL4 or even 4000's but not 8000's/

As far as the lack of BL2 in music, i have never experienced that. And this is what Dave Moulton from Moulton Labs has stated on the old forum. Never experienced stalling in music by his BL2.

And i believe Dave Moulton is someone who knows music...

Dimitris-

Gabrielclover
Not Ranked
Jonquière (Québec) Canada
Posts 5
Founder

Hello Louis,

For your answer, I use a language tool on the web.  I hope the translation will not to be too bad...

Personnally, I prefer a sound that respects quite accurately the intent of the composer and musicians. I do not like the sounds exaggerates as nightclubs.

Thus, on my Beosound 3000, so I keep setting the treble and bass to 0 (neutral) as suggested by B&O. As for my BEOLAB 2, the SETUP switch is set to 2 (as suggested by B&O for Beolab 8000) and the POSITION switch is set to FREE.  My sound system is located in a large open area about 40 square meters.

As I mentioned, it gives a happy wedding between the different frequencies.  My ear distinguishes sounds all well anf subtleties without being attaacked...

Greetings.

Pierre

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Tue, May 15 2012 5:39 AM

LouisV:

Yendys, Valve and Hfat;

Thanks for your opinions! Did you have a hard time adjusting it? I'm curious how people can have so different experiences between the two.

Simple answer- different folks different strokes !

I would bet none of our rooms (or ears) have the same conditions so  it is a balance.

jkhamler
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Bronze Member
jkhamler replied on Tue, May 15 2012 9:37 AM

I use a BeoLab2 with a pair of BeoLab 6000s very effectively in a hi-fi setup - it sounds tight and controlled when setup properly. Just don't turn it up too loud, and I'm sure you'll find it fills in the low end very nicely without sounding boomy. You've got the two switches and EQ/loudness to work with (I find flat and off is the best), not to mention positioning in the room. Go for it!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS