Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Please help : Repairing a Beosound 9000 with ERR SLG31... making me mad

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
huskvarn Posted: Thu, Dec 3 2020 4:36 PM

Dear all,

I've been looking at B&O stuff for almost 20 years and I've decided to make the step and buy a complete set. Ok it was out of order but as I'm repairing electronic devices for almost 30 years I've make the deal.

Beolab 8000 were having common problem with the foam and also the problem with the copper no-contact on the power supply PCB (rusted by the wet foam).

Anyway, the Beosound 9000 were not functioning at all. The good point is that it is a MK1 retrofitted with MK3 head. With Beo4 I've checked the error list. With that I manage to repair the IR circuitry (SLG ERR42), have done the calibration and now I can play a CD and it's great... But the sledge refuse to move (It is alive because at the startup it moves from millimeters to find CD1). When I check the error list I have the SLG ERR31.

So I start to dig... The sensor were pretty nasty so I've change the optical sensor but no change. I've made a long cable between the PCB18 and the optical sensor so I can test with my scope easily. I'm lost because I've the correct signals on the input of the processor (after IC9/IC11) and also checked the IC3 and the clock on the IC4. Everything seems correct, I've a switch between 0 and 5v when I click on CD2 and after it tilt to standby mode.

My questions : 

1/ I've remarked that the wheel on the motor is not solid attached and it can move for 1-2° (not loose)

2/ Does the ERR SLG31 mean another thing ?? Regarding the service manual it says that the microprocessor cannot sense puls from PE1... Witch I have...

3/ I've a extra motor PCB but not a PCB18, a PCB35 from a MK3. Regardless the connector witch can be easily purchase, will that works with a mk1 motherboard ?

4/ Maybe a clue... When I disengaged the sledge and put it on CD2 for exemple, when I start the B9000 it goes very quickly to the right and knock the aluminium... Hall effect sensor pb ?

THANKS for reading ... And in advance for your help... I've spent hours and hours on it and I don't know where to search.

Olivier

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Dec 4 2020 6:17 AM

Does it read cd’s ? Have you cleaned and reattached the glass, an have you run test mode 71 and 73 ?

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member

Does it read cd’s ? Have you cleaned and reattached the glass, an have you run test mode 71 and 73 ?

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Hi,

Yes it read CD1 perfectly. Have cleaned and attached the glass but when I go to TM71, it tilt just after closing the glass (when it try to move the sledge...).

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Also TM73 is passed. It says APS AJUSTED and just after if I try TM27 I have no error. But if I try a TM71 or to play CD2, same behavior : tilt and SLG 31... 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Service manual says:

-  31: CC sledge pos opto error.
Microprocessor 35IC2 cannot register pulses from 9PE1.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

It misses pulses from the tachosensor next to the big motor that drives the sledge. 

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Yes thanks but as I've said earlier I've tested the pulses and they are ok on the IC2... I've removed the shield and test directly on it. I've a good 0-5v signals on both quad input...

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

If the sledge “runs” to the next position and shuts off when doing that, then there is a problem with that sensor,  cable or transit through pcb 35.

It’s not capable of counting the pulses correct. 

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

That is what I thought... Sensor is new (wheel is clean), cable is OK. PCB is 18 (MK1) but I have a PCB35 in stock. Will that works on MK1 ? Or can anyone sold me a PCB18 ? 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

I'm not sure whether that works.
PCB 35 is meant to be for MK2 or MK3. The problem you might have is that the software on PCB35 gives problems communicating with the software. The mk1 starts with 1.4 at least but mk2's have 2.0 as the lowest version.  Apart from that there could be a pin difference in a connector.
Check the small flatcable for loose connections, which sits between the sensor pcb and pcb 18.

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Thanks.

Mine is software 2.0 on the PCB18. Pin to pin test is done. Have also tried with chassis closed (to prevent day light even if on the data sheet of the sensor it says there is no problem). Have also noticed that the ground on the uP shield is not the same as the one on the radiator on the FET's ? Small differences but uP and wheel sensor share same ground... 

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Dec 4 2020 10:56 PM

huskvarn:

Thanks.

Mine is software 2.0 on the PCB18. Pin to pin test is done. Have also tried with chassis closed (to prevent day light even if on the data sheet of the sensor it says there is no problem). Have also noticed that the ground on the uP shield is not the same as the one on the radiator on the FET's ? Small differences but uP and wheel sensor share same ground... 

Long shot I know, but what voltage is the backup battery ? I have seen a MK1 with weird faults because the battery was dead end leaking. After I changed it, it went back to normal. 

although it was not the same errors as you. These errors was settings and power on issues. Again, long shot but worth measuring ?

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Good clue.. Worth the try. I have just ordered the battery, never had been changed so it will be a good thing whatever the result. I've also ordered the small cable between PCB and sensor on RS, a little more than 2e. Hope it will helped me... 

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

So... Battery is at 3,18V but ordered anyway, have the age of the BS9000. Also received the micro match cable between the PCB and the sensor, same behavior. Have tried the MK3 Motor PCB on the MK1 it doesn't works (no motor control) was interesting because as my PCB41 has been retrofitted ...

Anyway, next step is to test the sensor on the bench, sledge release with TM72, an external power supply and the two outputs on the scope meter. If all that is ok then the problem il the PCB.

Does anybody knows what signals the IC2 need to understand the sledge sensor ? Only quad 1 et quad 2 ? What are the job of sledge and int sledge pin 5 and 9 ?

Thanks!!

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
huskvarn replied on Fri, Dec 18 2020 7:23 PM

So, I update the post. Battery change haven't change anything. BUT I've wired the outputs of the pulses to my scope and there were a problem with the sensor -> Dead on arrival... I've ordered a new one (received today) and now I have the correct pulse in quad. But It doesn't works for now.

Can someone explain the conditions of the TM71 ? Do I need fix the glass, the cover ? Does the sledge have to be in CD1 position (doesn't explain on the service manual). Now that I have the pulses, I have to calibrate the sledge...

Another weird thing, when I do TM73, sometime it is not ok (APS34) ? Will that be a common problem with the SLG31 (something with a reference on the microprocessor ?)

Thanks!

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 9:41 PM

huskvarn:

So, I update the post. Battery change haven't change anything. BUT I've wired the outputs of the pulses to my scope and there were a problem with the sensor -> Dead on arrival... I've ordered a new one (received today) and now I have the correct pulse in quad. But It doesn't works for now.

Can someone explain the conditions of the TM71 ? Do I need fix the glass, the cover ? Does the sledge have to be in CD1 position (doesn't explain on the service manual). Now that I have the pulses, I have to calibrate the sledge...

Another weird thing, when I do TM73, sometime it is not ok (APS34) ? Will that be a common problem with the SLG31 (something with a reference on the microprocessor ?)

Thanks!

TM71 should be run with glass lid attached, and cd’s in all positions EXCEPT 1. That should just be empty.

/Weebyx

huskvarn
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

So, 2021 update ! Lets have a Party !!!

Finally It works !! Have changed the PCB18 board and it works, TM71 and 73 passed. So on the older board it appears that at least one input of IC2 were broken... So nice a BS9000 working... The speed of change between CD is amazing.

Everything works... at 95%, indeed I still have sometimes error CD4 and APS15 in accordance with the turntable motor. Does anyone have already changed only this motor (not the complete VAM1250/21LF) ? I have the same motor in stock.

So now I know the intimate life of the BS9000 and I can say, what a great job...

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS