Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

WISA for Beolab 5?

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
seethroughyou Posted: Fri, Sep 19 2014 7:56 PM
Any news on WISA for Beolab 5 from the recent UK dealer meeting or other sources?

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 10:04 PM
seethroughyou:

Any news on WISA for Beolab 5 from the recent UK dealer meeting or other sources?

BeoLab5 must be near EOL?
seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
Hi Sturrock,

Do you know that BL5 are end of line for a fact or suspecting it from the recent new family of WISA speakers released in the last year?

Perhaps they will not EOL the BL5 but merely WISA it...?

Regards.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Sat, Sep 20 2014 9:53 PM
seethroughyou:

Hi Sturrock,

Do you know that BL5 are end of line for a fact or suspecting it from the recent new family of WISA speakers released in the last year?

Perhaps they will not EOL the BL5 but merely WISA it...?

Regards.

No previous speaker has been WISA updated without a facelift and a new model number.

BeoLab5 sales have dipped dramatically, time for a change.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Sep 21 2014 3:43 AM
StUrrock:

No previous speaker has been WISA updated without a facelift and a new model number.

BeoLab5 sales have dipped dramatically, time for a change.

What has caused the drop off ? Are the bl20s simply too good ?

BeoNut since '75

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Sun, Sep 21 2014 9:41 AM

No WISA update planned - confirmed.

No plans to replace or facelift Lab 5s - why change perfection?

At our store Lab 5s still sell very well - certainly better than Lab 20s...

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
As unequivocal as you sound about this it just doesn't seem to fit the logical progression of the rest of the product line.

I hear this 'sales talk' a lot and aside from being unoriginal it also makes me a tad suspicious, "It's been selling so well we can't keep up with the orders...our most expensive sells the most...there's a waiting list for this product..." Even if it has, I'd rather not hear it as it so cliched. A good product doesn't need the salesman's patter accompanying it.

Why would they update their other speakers to WISA and leave the BL5 untouched?

The BL5 is a phenomenal speaker but perfect it is not. For a start it could do with modern DACs that accept digital feed at 24 bits and higher sampling frequencies.

The bass adaptation after first calibration changed the sound and not necessarily for the better.

The Darlek like looks could do with softening.

The acoustic lenses in the BL18 and 20s look prettier polished than the brushed look of the BL5.

I'm sure B&O have figured out all sorts of things they could improve over the last 11 years - materials, driver technology, software....

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
Stereo at HRA rates greater than 24/96 is simply not necessary. BL5's handle these files fine. There is not much true content anyway.

Now, true surround at true 24/96, that's something else,

B
beofan5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
beofan5 replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 6:33 AM

Hello BeoWorlders,

I have been a follower of this passionate and informative forum for some time, thank you for the help in the threads and general knowledge. I am a fortunate owner of many B&O products, in particular two pairs of the fabulous but not perfect BL5.

On a trip to my local dealer to test out BL20 the dealer mentioned a recent trip to Struer and that they had seen an updated prototype BL5. As I recall the updates mentioned were, WISA, no microphone bass processor as it would utilise external processing but most importantly improved sound, updated looks not so cumbersome and bulky at the bottom and a polished and sharp look like the BL20 and BL18. No mention on DAC changes.

My personal experience testing BL20, not far off BL5. BL5 update would have to be more than just minor to survive another decade on the market and that would have to integrate all their technical knowhow, including WISA.

A guess would be that they would wage how BL20 sales compare to BL9 before replacing BL5 against the cost of the new prototype replacement. One thing is for sure B&O would be silly to sit still with their flagship speaker and update/replace the remainder of the range. Lets hope to see the new BL5 with the BeoSound Moment.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 12:57 PM

beofan5:

Hello BeoWorlders,

I have been a follower of this passionate and informative forum for some time, thank you for the help in the threads and general knowledge. I am a fortunate owner of many B&O products, in particular two pairs of the fabulous but not perfect BL5.

Welcome to your first post !

BeoNut since '75

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 7:59 PM

Maybe it's technical not possible or to complicated to add WISA, as a working BL5 also needs powerlink data. I don't think a BV11/Avant transmits PL data..

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member

So...now we have BL20 which has WISA. So it is technically possible. 

B&O: When are you releasing a gadget which makes BL5's wireless without connectivity issues?? 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

davelarue:

So...now we have BL20 which has WISA. So it is technically possible. 

B&O: When are you releasing a gadget which makes BL5's wireless without connectivity issues?? 

Not going to happen. BL5s are EoL. Shines ALT lens discs are the only further upgrade they will receive.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, Apr 2 2017 7:15 PM

Mr 10Percent:

davelarue:

Not going to happen.

It's called "Chromecast", and it works flawlessly !

--> http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/22517.aspx

David, I thought you were already using a Chromecast audio with your BL5s ?

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member

CB:

Mr 10Percent:

davelarue:

Not going to happen.

It's called "Chromecast", and it works flawlessly !

--> http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/22517.aspx

David, I thought you were already using a Chromecast audio with your BL5s ?

Not yet. Considere it, but i'm investigating a wireless option first  

I would like the BL5's to work wirelessly like BL20s. The CCA would then be connected to the transmitter...

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS