Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster5 replace hdd

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 8 Followers

geencar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
geencar Posted: Sat, Nov 14 2015 8:27 AM

Hi All,

I own a bm5 with origin hdd (500gb version). It is 5 years old now so I want to replace it with a new hdd/1Tb or ssd/512gb

I followed different discsussions here about replacing the harddisk. Seems to work but I think I may have found a better/easier way to do so.

I own an original B&O servictool usb stick and found the option "Clone System Drives"  and  "Clone Entire HDD" which should do the trick. I, do not know if it will work for disks larger than original ones (eg 512gb-> 1Tb)

I am willing to try but I do not have a manual for using the servicetool. Any one who can help out is more than welcome. Also I am willing to share the usb stick. I created an image and restored on another usb stick and as far as I can see it works.

Secondly there's the ssd issue. I downloaded the http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner, ran it on the bm5 and I gave me the advise to use the MX100 whichis a true 500Gb ssd

Might work as it offers the the necessary garbage cleanup function (trim is not supported on bm5 system)

If MX100 does the job all other ssd's with Marvel 88SS9174 controllers /MLC controllers should do the trick

Unfortunately these type of discs is leaving the market very fast as newer ssd dries take over.

Any reaction/question/comment is welcome.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

YHM

Kirby Diver
Not Ranked
nottingham
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Hi green car,

I am in the same position as you I brought my beomaster 2nd hand with pre installed music which I have added too over the years. The artwork and music are all mixed up. I would like to install a new drive so I can rebuild my music library. I have the 500gb version so a ssd 512 will be my choice. I see I will have to clone the drive and set new partitions. Does you service software have the means to do this. If so would you be able to send me a copy in some format please.
Kirby Diver
Not Ranked
nottingham
Posts 10
Bronze Member
Hi, The service manual is available free from hifi-manuals.com.
geencar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
geencar replied on Mon, Dec 14 2015 1:28 PM

Thank you for your help, I got a copy in the meantime but do appreciate your help a lot!

geencar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
geencar replied on Mon, Dec 14 2015 1:30 PM

Hi Kirby, 

please provide me with your emailadress 

Greetz

Geert

Kirby Diver
Not Ranked
nottingham
Posts 10
Bronze Member
divercorvette@sky.com

Regards Paul.
geencar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
geencar replied on Thu, Feb 11 2016 8:38 AM

All,

Just wanted to inform you all that the suggested ssd is working without problems for over 5 weeks now. Some other members of this forum have installed the ssd also and are also running their systems without problems even longer than my system does.

One advice: the Crucial ssd is end of life and therefor hard to get.

lano
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Bronze Member
lano replied on Tue, May 31 2016 10:12 PM
geencar:

All,

Just wanted to inform you all that the suggested ssd is working without problems for over 5 weeks now. Some other members of this forum have installed the ssd also and are also running their systems without problems even longer than my system does.

One advice: the Crucial ssd is end of life and therefor hard to get.

I need to change the SSD I currently are using, does the crucial still works OK? Is it possible to get a copy of the service tool?

Regards/LANO
bigdeniz
Not Ranked
Posts 44
Bronze Member

@ greencar: I also want to upgrade my BM5 to a sad but i often read that there are problems and the system hang. Can you give me the image of the B&O Service Tool via Dropbox? How big must be the USB Stick? 

What about the System Performance after the SSD Upgrade? 

It ist also possible to clone the old 500GB Harddrive without the Service Tool, external for example?

Thanks a lot.

Zeus_72
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Zeus_72 replied on Thu, Dec 1 2016 4:41 PM

Dear Greecar,

i have to replace the hdd of my BM5. It's 7 years old, so  I'm afraid it will break short.

Can you help me?

Can i have a image or copy of b&O servicetool usb stick?

thank a lot

wantoniak
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
wantoniak replied on Fri, Sep 15 2017 1:34 PM

Hi

Would it be possible for you to give me a copy of Beomaster5 service tool?

I will owe you a big one!!1

my email address is wantoniak@gmail.com

thanks

sjmcguckin
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member

Hi Greencar

I have been trying to clone to an SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) and every time I clone it and then install into BM5 I get the message to insert a boot disk. Did you have this problem? Does the original hard drive have to remain in the BM5 when your are cloning?  I also have the service tool usb but it does not really clone it only restores an existing BM5 hard drive. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

wantoniak
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
wantoniak replied on Sat, Nov 25 2017 7:27 AM

Samsung drives will not work on BM5, this is why you get the error. Only  Crutial, please read forums ... 

wantoniak
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
wantoniak replied on Sat, Nov 25 2017 7:27 AM

Samsung drives will not work on BM5, this is why you get the error. Only  Crutial, please read forums ... 

austinlally
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Would anyone be able to give me a copy of the service tool e.g. as a dropbox link or a disk image I can put on a USB?   askaustin@mac.com

austinlally
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Would anyone be able to give me a copy of the service tool e.g. as a dropbox link or a disk image I can put on a USB?   askaustin@mac.com

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:37 PM
1. Ensure motherboard is totally fine otherwise its £700 job.

2. Buy hdd/ssd ghoster from Amazon for around £35

3. Buy Crucial MX100 ssd

4. Ghost old hdd to new ssd (copy using ghost machine)

5. My new ssd was 1tb. The old hdd was 512gb. I only have 512gb usable space in new ssd. I’m not bothered. Works lightning quick.

6. Plug in new ssd

7. Switch it on!

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

beolion
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 485
Bronze Member
beolion replied on Sat, Nov 17 2018 9:02 AM
I am using the MX300 1TB and it works without problems.

MX100 can be hard to get a hand on.
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sat, Jan 12 2019 8:45 PM

@Kiran

using a bootable usb stick with gparted you may expand the 0,5GB partition to 1TB

regards

Gerard

PS: if someone could share the service tool I would be interested

wantoniak
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
wantoniak replied on Sun, Jan 13 2019 5:44 PM

Hi

If you want to copy/clone current Beomaster 5 drive, the only problems you will have is new SSD drive itself. Samsung SSD and others will not work - period. You have to get Crucial MX300 - 500 or 1Tb drive and just clone old drive to new, cloning 500GB to 1 TB will be no issue. You do not need any cloning devices etc. Put your old BM5 drive in enclose or your computer and clone to a new drive.

If you do not know how to do this take to any computer shops and they will do it. Trust me it is simple job.

Having B&O service tool will help as the system will help you replace drive and will assign serial numbers etc. The tool is not necessary to upgrade the drive by cloning, but it would be helpful to all of us if you want to change motherboard, drive (without cloning) , so if anyone has one please post download link

Thanks

Aleksei
Top 500 Contributor
Russia
Posts 84
Bronze Member
Aleksei replied on Mon, Jan 14 2019 4:24 PM

Looks like we need to persuade Geencar to share the usb content :)

Since the update server is down, I would consider this as the end of support, that means that we as a community should keep the support in our own group, like we do for Beo5/6.

I join the ask for the shared tool.

https://beointegration.wordpress.com/

1:BV7+BL7.1+BS4+BL6000+BV6+BL2000+MLGW+Beo4

2:BV7+BL7.4+BL3500+BM5+BL3+Lutron GE/Sivoia QS+HikVision+Dune+LinTronic+BLGW+Beo4+Beo5+Essence remote+BeoTime+BeoLinkPC+BL4+KNX+... BeoMaster900

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Tue, Jan 15 2019 10:24 AM

Hi Aleksei,

I think our exchange will better fit here so I'll copy it over from the other threat.

Aleksei:

That may be true if you are experienced to work with linux gparted. When launched, I was afraid to do something wrong while calculating the figures, so I went to more intuitive EaseUS instead, that, unfortunately looks to corrupt MBR. Thus, after extending the disk I performed recovery and update.

I believe the community will be grateful if you would shere step-by-step instruction how to use gparted for this case.

Aleskei

For gparted HDD partion resizing.

get Rufus: https://rufus.ie

get GParted Live bootable image (ISO) according to your processor architecture : https://gparted.org/download.php

Use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick. Video: http://youtu.be/1wDvQRLX4GM

Allow Boot from USB in your BIOS Boot Settings

Boot your PC from the GParted Live USB-Stick

I did this on a PC where I connected the cloned BS5 HDD , I did not work on the BM5 !!!!

You are working on the cloned HDD, if domething goes wrong, you can clone your BM5-HDD once more and start over again.

To resize the partion of the cloned disk from 500GB to 1TB (if your new HDD is 1TB) , in this Video you see how to get the unallocated space to the place where you need it : http://youtu.be/SALU-jmUiuc

an other video for the whole process with YUMI instead of RUFUS:

http://youtu.be/0czAJwEbtFs

hope this helps

gerard

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Thu, Feb 14 2019 9:10 AM
I changed my HDD to an SSD Model :

Crucial MS500 1TB , worked without problem.

I cloned my original 500GB B&O HDD, I will have to pump the SSD to 1TB, using gparted.

I took some pictures from the swap and will bring a little HowTo once the SSD is repartioned. This is no problem using a PC/MAC with a Gparted Live Stick.

This time I will try it on the BM5, this way there will not be any danger repartioning the PC/MAC HDD instead of the BM5.

I'll keep you informed.

EDIT:

wanted to do this today, but time is missing, this has to wait for 2 Weeks

see you then
gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Tue, Feb 26 2019 10:21 AM
A little update to my repartioning of the BS5 SSD to 1TB, I want to do it on the BM5/BS5 but I'm struggling to get the gparted Live GUI to work.

gParted may be booted on the BM5

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Sat, Nov 30 2019 9:46 AM

I think the problem comes from the Crucial MX500 not being tealy compatible with the BM5. 

I have random boot problems where the BM5 does not see/find the Crucial SSD.

I have ordered a new SSD, a Sandisc ULTRA 3D 1TB and I will report if there are still boot problems.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Dec 9 2019 10:21 PM

So far, my Crucial MX? has worked fine for nearly 2 years.  Please report back on the success/failure of the Sandisc in case my Crucial starts flaking out like yours did.

Stan

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Mon, Dec 9 2019 11:10 PM
For 2 days, there is no problem with the Sandisk ULTRA 3D SSD 1TB.

The Crucial MX500 never worked for a whole day. The wake-up from standby was the problem. I mostly had to power off the BM5 3-5 times in a row to have one boot to complete. once booted it worked fine and fast till the next standby.

I came to the Sandisk after researching the Controller, it seems as if there is also a WesternDigital SSD (a twin of the sandisk) which uses the same controller and also a Plextor SSD with the Marvell 88SS1074

Edit: 25-12-2019

The Sandisk ULTRA 3D SSD still works perfectly
AMD4ME
Not Ranked
The Netherlands
Posts 10
Bronze Member
AMD4ME replied on Mon, Aug 17 2020 10:07 PM

Hi Gerard,

"The Sandisk ULTRA 3D SSD still works perfectly"

Are you using this model: Sandisk Ultra 3D (SDSSDH3-1T00-G25) 1TB

thank you in advance!

gerard
Top 200 Contributor
Luxembourg
Posts 331
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Mon, Dec 28 2020 10:50 PM
AMD4ME:

Hi Gerard,

"The Sandisk ULTRA 3D SSD still works perfectly"

Are you using this model: Sandisk Ultra 3D (SDSSDH3-1T00-G25) 1TB

thank you in advance!

After checking my amazon orders it seems to be the :

SDSSDH3-1T00-G25

and it still works perfectly
Teyelvis
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
Teyelvis replied on Fri, Mar 26 2021 11:08 AM

Any one had success to get the service tool key? Can you please share with me? email is elvis_tey@hotmail.com. Appreciate 

geencar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
geencar replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 12:16 PM

Hi,

You need a 512gb drive as BM5 cannot handle ssd < 512GB

So 1Tb will work, 500 gb does not. 

I use the MX100 over 6 years now, works like a charm, no problems at all.

Second hand MX100 are available through ebay etc.

br

Geert

geencar
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
geencar replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 12:17 PM

No need to persuade me as I am more than happy to share. Just tell me how.

br

Geert

Page 1 of 1 (33 items) | RSS