Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BG4002 (5524) Motor Lubrication

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 221
Bronze Member
Krolroger Posted: Thu, Mar 17 2016 11:45 AM

Hello All,

The 3v DC platter drive motor on my Beogram is very noisy (squeaky dry bearing sort of noise).

There is a back plate held on by two side screws.  If I remove that can I get access to the end bearing?

Also, is the drive pulley just an interference fit?  To get any lubricant into the top bearing, I guess it will have to come off.

Finally, what oil should I use on this (sparingly, of course)?

Thanks, again,

Simon

riis
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 270
Bronze Member
riis replied on Thu, Mar 17 2016 4:40 PM

I also had a squeaky noise from the motor on my BM 4002. I managed to put a tiny drop of oil in between the pulley and the motor housing. That did the trick, the noise disappeared. I used ordinary sewing machine oil.

/riis

riis
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 270
Bronze Member
riis replied on Thu, Mar 17 2016 4:42 PM

BM 4002 should of course be BG 4002

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Mar 17 2016 7:17 PM

To answer your question: No. you can't.
The motor sits inside the metal housing that you can see.
In other words, it's a metal housed motor inside a metal housing with rubber between for noise dampening.
But you can open the motor, clean and lubricate the bearings and if you are VERY careful you can also put it
back together without damaging the brushes etc.

It's sintered bronze bearings so you need to use an oil with the right additives for sintered bronze and ideally you will have to
boil the dry remains of old oil out and press fresh oil into the pores of the bronze material using vacuum - sintered bearings are lubricated by
capillary action, taking oil from reservoirs INSIDE the sintered material. They are not directly lubricated on their contact surfaces as you would
normally see.
Sewing machine oil will work right away but only for a relatively short time. Often just days or weeks depending on the motor and oil type.
It doesn't have the right additives, so it will be worn off (wiped away from the contact area) quickly - if it doesn't evaporate sooner.

Martin

Krolroger
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 221
Bronze Member
Krolroger replied on Thu, Mar 17 2016 10:59 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Martin, is a replacement (or alternative) motor available?

Does the servo motor use the same bearing arrangement?

Regards,

Simon

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Mar 18 2016 6:46 AM

That would be no and pretty much yes in that order.
Two different servomotors were used in production, one is slightly easier to work on than the other.

You may be able to find a good used motor from a donor Beogram but it's safe to say, that it would also need a treatment.
But most motors are indeed repairable.

Martin

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Mar 18 2016 9:32 PM

Repairing an existing motor rather than taking a still working motor from another, restorable Beogram is the best option. Martin, do you offer motor repair service for the Beogram 4002 DC type motors?

-sonavor

Beolover
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Bronze Member
Beolover replied on Mon, Mar 21 2016 6:08 AM

Excellent post!! Thanks Martin! I gave the oil infusion a try: http://beolover.blogspot.com/2016/03/beogram-4002-5513-infusing-oilite-brass-bearings-with-oil.html

Let's see if the motor still runs happily after 24 hrs...;-)

Rudy

http://beolover.blogspot.com

http://beolover.com

Cooker
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Bronze Member
Cooker replied on Mon, Mar 21 2016 12:39 PM

Does the Beogram 1202 also use this type of oilite bearing?

Does any one have an I depth step by step procedure to overhauling a 1202 motor?

Thanks

Berthej
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
Berthej replied on Thu, May 20 2021 10:04 PM

I know it is an old post but I try all the same:

Some years back I had an issue of a ticking sound in the motor of my TX2. Opening up the motor I found that the top washer (black) sitting between the coil rotor and the top brass bearing had pulverised. I didn't manage to get the motor back running so I left it there. Now years later I went back to the project, found some traces on the motor PCB that were broken, repaired them, and now the motor is back spinning.

I will proceed with the oil infusion, but I also need a new washer replacement, and I don't have the broken pieces any longer. 

Does anyone know what kind of washer, and dimensions, I need?

Thank you for your input

Jens

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS