Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How to make the best of my B&O equipment?

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 2 Followers

AMone77
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
AMone77 Posted: Sun, Feb 22 2015 9:04 PM

Dear Beo Experts. Please help.

I'm looking for the best way to make the most out of my existing equipment. I need help from you experts out there, as I'm uncertain of all the possible solutions with B&O. 

Today I have two B&O setups in the same room (combined living room and dining room), that I would guess I could easily merge into one system:

1). A set of BeoLab 5 connected via PowerLink to a Playmaker.

2). A BeoVision 4-65 with BeoSystem2 connected via PowerLink to a BeoLab 10.

i also have the following equipment (not in use at the moment)  that I would like to include in my setup:

- BeoSound 9000 mk3

- BeoCenter 2 DVD

- Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation I think)

- And a Beolab 3500 link speaker that could be nice in the kitchen, but not really neccesary.

I usually play music from my iPad or iPhone (using Spotify, iTunes or Wimp) via AirPlay.

It would be nice to be able to play the sound from the TV over the impressive BL5 from time to time, but I don't want the BeoVision to turn on every time I listen to music...

All help will be appreciated!

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 9:24 PM

Hi and welcome to beoworld.

For starters, I'd suggest the following with what you have available:-

Connect the Beolab 5s as front left and front right on the Beosystem 2 (with the Beolab 10 connected as centre)

Connect the BS9000 (I'm assuming it will be in the same room) to the Beosystem 2 via Masterlink

Connect the Beolab 3500 in the kitchen via masterlink also (you'll need a junction box to connect all three items together)

Connect the playmaker to the Aux in connection on the BS9000.

Set the Beosystem 2 to option 2, the BS9000 to option 0, and the BL3500 to option 6.

Then you can press CD to listen to the BS9000 or A-MEM to listen to the playmaker, or RADIO to listen to the radio (in the main room through the BL5's and/or in the kitchen via the BL3500). The Beosystem 2 will obviously need power but the TV screen should remain off until you select a video source instead of an audio source.

Hope this helps for starters.

Martin.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 9:44 PM
A-MEM or A-AUX ?

( I am not familiar with 9k's settings - just a little surprised)

BeoNut since '75

AMone77
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
AMone77 replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 9:57 PM

Thank you Martin. 

I wasn't aware of the Junction Box. (I have a lot to learn). Can I buy this from B&O or maybe Sounds Heavenly? Are there different types of junction boxes? So that I could also ad my BC2dvd? Would be nice to be able to play a DVD from time to time...

Would there be any possibility to play any music on the BL5's when the TV is on??? (As I can now).

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi and welcome to Beoworld,

you can easily integrate all of your products into one setup Smile

But the first thing, you need to know is, that if you want sound from the tv involving the BL10 as the center speaker, the BL5's have to be connected to to the tv - and therefore use the surround module of the tv.

However, if you use the setup in audio-mode (kistening ro music), the screen will not turn on. The tv will be active (or rather a part of it will be active), but you will not notice it.

Adding the BL5's to the tv means that the Playmaker will not be directly used as of now - more to this in a moment....

You can add your BS9000 to the setup just by connecting it to the BSys2 via a MasterLink (ML) cable.

This means that the BS9000 will act like a source on the tv, and use the speakers of the tv.

The Playmaker - if you connect the Playmaker to the line-in of the BS9000 (please ask later how this is done, if needed), you can have full access to it like you have now.

The BC2 can be connected to the tv via scart and ML - instead of the BL9000  - the BC2 is a DVD player as well as an audiosystem.

You will find a line-in connection in the black connection box - this can be used for the Playmaker.

The critical part will be the AppleTV, since the BSys2 has no HDMI (or DVI) input!!! The BSys2 is (allow me to say so) old technology - a lot works, but not all!

If you want to install the BL3500 in the kitchen, all you will need is a MasterLink-connection/cable there. Depending on your circumstances it is definitely no problem to use it there. You will have access to all your audio sources, and you can control them with a Beo4.

This is basicly what is known as a 'fully-integrated A/V system' - and it is, what I would suggest, because it is very easy to control, and you can use your BL5 for all sources of the system this way.

There are - however - lots of other combinations. Maybe someone else will describe them.

For your inspiration please consult the 'ML Handbook':

http://www.iconic-av.co.uk/manuals/MasterLink_Handbook.pdf

MM

Update: this is basicly the same, as Martin suggests - he was faster than I Embarrassed

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

AMone77:

Would there be any possibility to play any music on the BL5's when the TV is on??? (As I can now).

No - not really!

You will have to decide * - but watching a movie with the BL5's on has something Big Smile

Do you often watch tv AND play music at the same time?

* Do study the ML Handbook to see, what is possible.

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:20 PM
However if you want one person watching the TV while other uses the BL5s for music then you need to attach the 5s to the 9000.

Still use the MasterLink as outlined so everyone can listen to the music if they wish to.

BeoNut since '75

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:26 PM

elephant:
A-MEM or A-AUX ?

( I am not familiar with 9k's settings - just a little surprised)

The BS9000 will respond to either (at least my mk3 does - this may of course differ between software versions)

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:28 PM

Millemissen:
Update: this is basicly the same, as Martin suggests - he was faster than I Embarrassed

Come on MM, do try to keep up Wink

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@elephant

Yes and no!

Using the BL5's for the tv-sound would normally mean to have the speakers on the right/left side of the screen as front speakers.

Tv on with only BL10, and music on with the BL5's there would be an odd constallation.

I know, that some people would be tempted (some really do this) to let the BL5's stay at another place in the room. But then again - using them for tv sound would not be optimal, imo!

And you would have to fiddle with the AV-button to change from one system to another Crying

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

riverstyx:

Millemissen:

Come on MM, do try to keep up Wink

I would have been faster.....if my wife would not have asked me, what I would do (on my iPad) right now - and if she would not have had to tell me, that she reads some novels (on her iPad) of the danish storyteller Jørn Riel - Life on Greenland (Grønland).

MWhistleM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:50 PM
Dear MM

Clearly wives conspire

Mine said on Sunday "what are you doing"

"Beoworld"

90 minutes later she said "what are you doing"

Being an idiot I said "the same thing I was doing 90 minutes ago"

And as to bl5s and TVs ... If I had BL5s I would not want them wasted on cooking shows

I too would dedicate them to music

Or my theatre (if I had one)

BeoNut since '75

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:51 PM

Millemissen:

AMone77:

No - not really!

You would however have the option of listening to CD/RADIO/Playmaker on the BL3500 in the kitchen whilst watching television in the main room which is obviously a more usual scenario than having TV sound and music on in the same room at the same time.

Martin.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:57 PM

elephant:

And as to bl5s and TVs ... If I had BL5s I would not want them wasted on cooking shows

Or my theatre (if I had one)

Ah, but can you honestly say that if they were in the same room as the TV you would be allowed to listen to anything else on them whilst the cooking show was on? Wink

AMone77
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
AMone77 replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:58 PM

Thanks for great answers :)

Seems like a great idea to attach BS9000, BC2 and BL3500 to BeoSys2. But can I do this with one "3 to 1" Junction Box? Or do I need two boxes? And are there different types???

Would you recomend to attach the Playmaker to BC2 or BS9000? Or iWork it be the same?

Will the BL10 center also be playing when i play music??

AMone77
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
AMone77 replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:04 PM

AMone77:

Would you recomend to attach the Playmaker to BC2 or BS9000? Or iWork it be the same?

Sorry! Not 'iWork' but 'will' 😀

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:12 PM

AMone77:
I wasn't aware of the Junction Box. (I have a lot to learn). Can I buy this from B&O or maybe Sounds Heavenly? Are there different types of junction boxes? So that I could also ad my BC2dvd? Would be nice to be able to play a DVD from time to time...

As MM mentioned, if you use your BC2DVD in the main room it would need to be instead of the BS9000 as both of these items respond to radio, cd etc. You could then use the BS9000 in a different room but it would need it's own speakers connected then.

There are several types of masterlink junction boxes - ones where you just plug a number of masterlink cables into the box, and ones where you can splice together the individual cores of several masterlink cables without plugs on that end. The former are more expensive (around 70GBP in the UK) but simpler to use and both types are available from your dealer.

Martin.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

elephant:

BL5's must be cooking - that is what they are made for Big Smile

MM

petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
Posts 128
Founder
petermc replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:14 PM
We have our speakers connected to a BV10 and the BS5 and BS3000 masterlinlked together all in the same room

We can have the Tv on while the sound from the BS5 or BS3000 comes through the speakers at the same time.

Put tv on desired channel and select AV and then sound source. The TV will will stay on the selected channel and the sound from the audio source will come through the speakers. Best done with a Beolink 1000 as AV button is on the keypad.

Works well as long as you don't want to channel hop. As soon as you change TV channel the audio source will drop out the and tv sound will come back on.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

As I wrote - some people do so.

But I must admit, that I never saw the point in doing so Crying

N.B. BS5 and BS3000 together is not the same as BC2 and BS9000 together.

MM

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:23 PM

AMone77:

Seems like a great idea to attach BS9000, BC2 and BL3500 to BeoSys2. But can I do this with one "3 to 1" Junction Box? Or do I need two boxes? And are there different types???

Either will work the same, it just comes down to whether you prefer to have the BC2 in your main room (which gives you DVD on you TV if you also connect a scart cable) or the BS9000 (plus a seperate DVD player connected directly to the Beosystem for DVD if you wish)

As I mentioned, you can't have both the BS9000 and the BC2 in the main room - so choose whichever you prefer and use the other in a different room with additional speakers if you wish.

AMone77:
Will the BL10 center also be playing when i play music??

Only if you want it to - you can choose SPEAKER1 mode - just the BL10, SPEAKER2  - just the BL5's or SPEAKER3 all three of them.

Really only SPEAKER2 mode makes much sense for music, but you can switch between these modes at will.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:28 PM

Millemissen:

As I wrote - some people do so.

But I must admit, that I never saw the point in doing so Crying

It might make sense if they wanted to listen to music for as long as possible (rather than adverts) whilst the wife is waiting for her cookery program to start Wink

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Ok - I give in Big Smile

Another reality, I guess.

We - neither my wife nor I - watch channels with adverts. We don't have to!

Only one of 'our channels' has adverts - but they are always in between two programs. Just right for peeing - or making coffee....or sneakpeaking Beoworld!

MM

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 12:00 AM

Very interesting thread. Related to this. In the setting with the Playmaker connected to the BC, would he need to turn on anything when streaming to the playmaker or does the BV sense the signal? Could the playmaker also be directy connected to the BV and in this case would the BV also automactically detect the streaming without the need to turn it on?

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 12:17 AM

steve1977:
Very interesting thread. Related to this. In the setting with the Playmaker connected to the BC, would he need to turn on anything when streaming to the playmaker or does the BV sense the signal?

It won't autodetect, so he'd need to press A.MEM or A.AUX in whichever room he wanted the audio produced.

steve1977:
Could the playmaker also be directy connected to the BV and in this case would the BV also automactically detect the streaming without the need to turn it on?

It could be connected this way, but still wouldn't autodetect a signal and as the inputs of the BV (or BeoSystem in this case) are video inputs it doesn't make much sense to do so unless you really have no other option as it means extra button presses to select audio only and may involve the screen coming on then off again.

Martin.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 12:24 AM

Got it. I am still looking for an option to stream audio to my BLs that are connected to my BV without any push on the control involved. It works with the BC2 for CDs if my memory is right. So, I am looking for some set-up that alllows the same for streaming music over airplay.Not possible?

AMone77
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
AMone77 replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 2:49 PM

Thanks for all help. 

For me it's important that everything is easy and simple to use. I'm so happy with the way my Playmaker turns the Beolabs on automatically when I start playing music from my iPhone. So I think I will leave it like it is for now.... But I will connect my BC2 to the BV4/BSys2 to be able to play DVD :)

BTW: Can someone please explain to me what's the difference between A.AUX and A.MEM ?

AMone77
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
AMone77 replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 2:49 PM

Thanks for all help. 

For me it's important that everything is easy and simple to use. I'm so happy with the way my Playmaker turns the Beolabs on automatically when I start playing music from my iPhone. So I think I will leave it like it is for now.... But I will connect my BC2 to the BV4/BSys2 to be able to play DVD :)

BTW: Can someone please explain to me what's the difference between A.AUX and A.MEM ?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Feb 23 2015 7:56 PM
Auxiliary Audio (A-AUX) was/is typically an input/output port for unusual devices being attached to the system.

In the golden Big Smile days it may have been a reel to reel recorder. Or now days an LP turntable.

I think Audio Memory is a B&O term - like V-MEM for VCRs - which refers to audio storage devices such as SD cards in a BeoSound 4.

The BS4 actually responds to both commands as it has both devices - the SD card reader, and the RCA input ports.

BeoNut since '75

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 3:59 AM

AMone77:
For me it's important that everything is easy and simple to use. I'm so happy with the way my Playmaker turns the Beolabs on automatically when I start playing music from my iPhone. So I think I will leave it like it is for now....

I fully agree with you. I am just wondering whether there is really absolutely no way that you can stream via airplay to Beolabs (turning them on automatically once the Beolabs are connected to your BV? No combination with whatever adapeter, BC or anything else in the world you can imagine? I am really quite desperate to have my Labs connected to my BV for surround sound and at the same time being able to stream via airplay to my Labs without touching my Beo4. Any idea?

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 9:18 AM
steve1977:

I fully agree with you. I am just wondering whether there is really absolutely no way that you can stream via airplay to Beolabs (turning them on automatically once the Beolabs are connected to your BV? No combination with whatever adapeter, BC or anything else in the world you can imagine? I am really quite desperate to have my Labs connected to my BV for surround sound and at the same time being able to stream via airplay to my Labs without touching my Beo4. Any idea?

This is not possible because a Beovision needs an IR command to switch on and the Playmaker has no IR transmitter. But you can try to build an app for your IDevice that is able to send an IR command every time you start airplay.

Regards

Räuber
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 10:04 AM

Thanks for your message. How does the BC2 succeed to "turn on" the BV in audio mode when putting in a CD? Is there no airplay-enabled B&O device that the BV can "sense"?

Also to reply to your thinking about an app - this would require quite an effort as it would require to turn on AV.DVD when the stream starts and then also turn off the TV again when the stream ends? Is that basically what the BC2 is doing implicitly when playing a CD?

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 10:25 AM
If you start BC2 when putting in a CD, BC2 sends the command to switch on your Beovision via Masterlink. Same with BS 9000 or another audio system connected to a BV via Masterlink. And same with a Beovision in linkroom if you start a source in mainroom from linkroom, although screen of BV in mainroom doesn't turn on of course.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

AMone77:

For me it's important that everything is easy and simple to use. I'm so happy with the way my Playmaker turns the Beolabs on automatically when I start playing music from my iPhone. So I think I will leave it like it is for now.... 

There is a solution for that - but that would involve a different setup, than the one you have now.

Connecting a Playmaker to the line-in of a BS Moment, which (via NL) uses a modern BV as the speaker, would make airplaying turn on the system.

If you connect the BL5's to the BV and configure these as the default speaker group for the (from BS Moment) shared line-in source, only these will start, when you start pushing through AirPlay to the Playmaker.

This is not a suggestion for what you should do - only an explanation of, what is possible.

I see no way to achieve, what you want, with your current setup!

MM

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 11:24 AM

Thanks for your messages. I am happy to be flexible with my setup. Well, unless it requires buying  both a new Avant and a new Moment ;-)

Would a ML/NL adapter be sufficient to do the trick? Or adding a Moment? You can tell I am really desperate to have this feature as it is the one and only thing that I dislike about my current setup. It would be so nice just to stream to my speakers via airplay.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 11:24 AM

Of course no soulution with his current setup.

But to connect a Playmaker to the Moment is a good idea to get Airplay with the Moment. You will get probably a better sound quality if you stream via airplay with an IDevice than via Bluetooth because the lack of aptx codec in the Moment and/or the IDevice.

Regards

Räuber
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Steve 

Adding a NL/ML Converter does not do the trick.

Ir order to have the (Playmaker/)Moment solution to work, like I described it, you need a NL. Compatible BV like the BV11/V1 or the new Avant.

MM

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 11:28 AM

Btw, maybe a stupid question, but would a simple "Y-cable" not be sufficient to connect two devices (BV and Playmaker) via ML to my Labs? I still dream of a solution for the remaining solution for my otherwise perfect setup ;-)

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 11:47 AM
If you mean a 'Powerlink-Y-cable' to connect both your Beovision and Playmaker to Beolabs you might damage your Beolabs if both devices are sending (audio or switchon) signals at the same time to Beolabs. I wouldn't try it.
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Tue, Feb 24 2015 12:05 PM

Yup, this was my idea with the Y-cable. Well, a final try...

Raeuber:
If you start BC2 when putting in a CD, BC2 sends the command to switch on your Beovision via Masterlink. Same with BS 9000 or another audio system connected to a BV via Masterlink. And same with a Beovision in linkroom if you start a source in mainroom from linkroom, although screen of BV in mainroom doesn't turn on of course.

Would it help to bring a BC2 or a BS5/BM5 into the mix? They could connect over ML with my BV and at the same time they have the capability to attach an aux device (e.g., an airport express). Would such a combo (AE->BM5->BV or AE->BC2->BV) do the trick?

If not, I'll declare defeat. Or explore earlier suggestion with the IR command, which I sense though will be almost impossible to achieve as well?

Page 1 of 2 (54 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS