Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Problems getting a Beogram to play my records properly

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

KevinH.
Not Ranked
Seattle/Tacoma, WA USA
Posts 5
Silver Member
KevinH. Posted: Thu, Dec 3 2015 4:42 AM

Hello fellow Beophiles,

I am having a problem getting a Beogram turntable playing properly in my system.  

I have a Beocenter 9500 in one room

and a BeoSystem 6500 (no turntable) in another

I have a Beogram RX and recently acquired a Beogram 5500 and  I have MMC2 cartridge/stylus

1.) Am I correct that the Beogram 5500 should work fine as is with either of my systems because it has a factory DIN connection and the Beogram RX2  will require a preamp?  

2.) When playing a record on the 5500 with the MC2  in either system I get a muffled, flat, or clipped sound.  I am thinking that maybe there is something wrong with the cartridge or stylus. 

Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated.

TrojanMBA 

Kevin D. Huber

aka Beodude

BeoCemter 9500, BeoSystem 5500, BeoSystem 6500, Penta III, BeoLab 4000, BeoLab 4500, BeoLab 4,  BeoMedia 1, BeoSystem 1, BeoSystem 4, BeoLink Passive, BeoLink Active, BeoVox RL40, BeoVox RL60, BeoLab 3500, BeoVision 7-40, Beo4, Beo5, BeoPC, Playmaker, 

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Thu, Dec 3 2015 7:52 AM
Hi.

Neither of those beograms have a built in preamp. The DIN connector isn't an Indicator.

The Beomaster 6500 doesn't have a built in preamp either.

In order to use either turntable on the 6500 system you will require an external preamp.

The 9500 on the other hand does have a built in preamp so you should just be able to plug in the turntable and be good to go.

As for the muffled sound... Ensure that the tracking force is set correctly (1.2g) and check that the stylus is clean under a magnifying glass.

Lee
Professor David A Flynn JP
Top 500 Contributor
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts 116
Bronze Member

Lee - I too am having problems with my 5500 turntable linked with the full 5500 system.  I am getting a real muffled and distorted sound through my Penta speakers.  It has started to happen recently prior to that it was playing wonderfully.  I changed the MMC4 to another one and still I am getting the problem.  I have moved the styli weight up and down but still no use, in fact the lighter the styli weight the worse the sound.  Prior to this I was getting a brilliant sound.  Nothing wrong with the pre-amp in the 5500 tuner/amp, even changed the 5500 tuner/amp to a spare one I have and still the same.  Would the turntable have a problem?

Thanks David

ProfDAFlynn

Professor David A Flynn JP LM

Big Smile

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Fri, Dec 4 2015 11:39 AM
Very strange....

Could you try the cartridges on a different deck?

There's not much electronically in the signal path on the Beogram 5500. Maybe it's a problem with the muting relay...

Try playing a record, when you hear the record through the speakers raise the tonearm. Repeat this process of play, pause a dozen or so times and see if that fixes it.

The MMC4 wants a tracking force of 1.4g to sound it's best.

Lee
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS