Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Essence mk2 gone mad

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 Posted: Sat, May 13 2017 7:07 PM
Hello Beoteam

Some weird stuff has happened in the last two weeks with my Essence Mk2

A few weeks ago I had some music on in my kitchen, I switched the music off via the Xapp and went to bed.

I then docked my phone in my bedroom alarm / speaker, the music came on in the kitchen very loudly downstairs at around 1130pm

I switched it off at the mains and forgot about it

Last night at 0230 in the morning the music came on for no reason in the kitchen loudly but not as loudly as the first time.

After a run downstairs and pulling out the plug and off to bed I thought I needed to post this here.

Anyone else having some problems ?

Any thoughts?

Sad

Sean

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, May 13 2017 7:11 PM

Seanie_230:
Any thoughts?
some scenes in the Beolink 2 app

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, May 13 2017 7:57 PM

This used to happen with my Essence mk 2 quite a bit.  I haven't experienced this for about a year now.  The Essence is hooked up to my BeoLab 17's in my bed room and this would only happen in the middle of the night, waking me up quickly!  On several occasions I noticed that the table remote would loose its pairing, so I could not easily turn it off.  I guess this problem hasn't totally been fixed yet...

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, May 13 2017 8:39 PM

Is it possible that someone could have hacked into your BLGW? We're told to change the username and password from "Admin" but many of us might forget.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Nope BLGW password is locked away from default.

No timers or scenes set

No alarms configured.

Madness my poor next door has a baby and I worry if I am away and it randomly turns itself on that they will all get woken up.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, May 14 2017 11:43 AM

Seanie_230:
Nope BLGW password is locked away from default. No timers or scenes set No alarms configured..

Also, non in the Essence itself?

what after a factory reset?

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
It did it again last night randomly at about 2233

It seems to follow when I listen to tunein and go to standby via the X app.

I closed down the app completely after use.

Mr Anderson help

Sean

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Jun 24 2017 11:50 AM

Last night, this happened to me, too. Around 3:00 a.m., one of my BeoPlay M5 speakers started playing rap music at full volume. I don't even have a rap station in my TuneIn favorites. Nor do I have any rap music in my music library.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jun 24 2017 1:02 PM

So basically, listening to music has now grown so unnecessarily complicated and complex, that noone can tell what is
going on anylonger - not even diagnose it down to which of the units in the chain is at fault.

Is it the gateway?
Is it the app?
Is it an iOS problem?
A problem with the wireless network?
Will a firmware upgrade be the way out?
Could it perhaps be some incompatibility elsewhere?
Or a virus or a hackers work? 

Can't help thinking, it's a wonder that it sometimes work.

Now you cannot even leave it powered on in your home without worrying it might do "something" while you're away.
This is getting ridiculous.

Buy a radio.

Martin

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Sat, Jun 24 2017 4:32 PM
Seanie_230:

It did it again last night randomly at about 2233

It seems to follow when I listen to tunein and go to standby via the X app.

I closed down the app completely after use.

Mr Anderson help

Sean BLGW - Rekindling the love of ML

Your are not the only one

It happened in the middle of the night and thank god not the room that my children sleep

And during the day the music cuts out randomly....

Drives me nuts

Vince
Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,278
Bronze Member
Mine was sorted about a month ago and it's not happened since.

I discovered that when the new Xapp was last used and I turn the system off and I go to bed I dock my phone on a bedside alarm clock that has a speaker.

When you last use a music app on the iPhone it remembers and when I dock and it detects a speaker it automatically presses play and turns it back on.

Not such an issue for local devices but the iPhone does not realise the app is remote device in the lock screen.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jun 24 2017 5:01 PM

Dillen:

So basically, listening to music has now grown so unnecessarily complicated and complex, that noone can tell what is
going on anylonger - not even diagnose it down to which of the units in the chain is at fault.

Is it the gateway?
Is it the app?
Is it an iOS problem?
A problem with the wireless network?
Will a firmware upgrade be the way out?
Could it perhaps be some incompatibility elsewhere?
Or a virus or a hackers work? 

Can't help thinking, it's a wonder that it sometimes work.

Now you cannot even leave it powered on in your home without worrying it might do "something" while you're away.
This is getting ridiculous.

Buy a radio.

Martin

I can't help but think that this is not much of an "improvement" over the old days in many ways. Just like it's going to be possible to repair and keep running a 1960s VW Beetle for the next probably thousand years, even today 10 or so year old cars that rely on computer control are impossible to get parts for, you're stuck running through a succession of junkyard computer modules to find one that works, and if it was a design flaw common to most you're hosed. Now it's the same for our stereos. Software, executable code only, uncompiled code not available, that you can't repair or debug as opposed to the kinds of things Martin and others are able to do with older B&O. Just a cap change ain't gonna cut it.

Welcome to the Brave New World.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Jun 24 2017 10:46 PM

This would be tolerable if the speaker come on just at it's regular volume. However, mine came on a maximum volume! And it was playing rap! lol. Now I'm afraid that this could happen while I'm away from home and the neighbors would call the police. I hate to be paranoid in thinking that perhaps a disgruntled employee at B&O might have hidden some mischief in the code or is hacking our B&O devices.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Jun 28 2017 6:19 AM

Seanie_230:
Hello Beoteam

Some weird stuff has happened in the last two weeks with my Essence Mk2

A few weeks ago I had some music on in my kitchen, I switched the music off via the Xapp and went to bed.

I then docked my phone in my bedroom alarm / speaker, the music came on in the kitchen very loudly downstairs at around 1130pm

I switched it off at the mains and forgot about it

Last night at 0230 in the morning the music came on for no reason in the kitchen loudly but not as loudly as the first time.

After a run downstairs and pulling out the plug and off to bed I thought I needed to post this here.

Anyone else having some problems ?

Any thoughts?

Sad

Sean

I was wondering if this could be a bug related to the "Automatic SW update" ? Is the Essense and M5 in this thread set to "Automatic update" ? Lyle told me that the automatic updates for the Moment is at random times from late night to early morning, to ease the stress on the update servers, so each unit polls for new SW at random timeintervals. This is probably the same issue for other NL products, and since these incidents are always late evening / at night, this might be related.

All my units are set to manual update.. I want to be in charge(more in charge ;) )

/Jacob

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS