Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Do i need a remote to change programs on my MX2000?

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

GabuGabuGabu
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
GabuGabuGabu Posted: Mon, Jul 2 2018 10:43 AM

Hello all, I'm looking for a remote for my Beovision MX2000 TV. I've been able to use it so far through the antenna input and buttons on the top panel but want to be able to access the AV channels for use with my VCR.

I know most universal remotes won't do the work due to the frequency used by b&o but I just wondered if all b&o remotes would be backwards compatible with it.

I don't need to access any advanced function. Just switch to the AV channel. Incidentally if anyone knows of a way of doing this without a remote I'd also be interested to know. I've checked the manual and there doesn't seem to be a combination of buttons to do so...

Thanks!

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 692
Gold Member

Is your video player B&O? If so it should automatically switch to the correct channel.

If not, the manual says a video player needs to be connected by the 21pin scart socket. 

It also suggests trying one of the AV programmes 33 or 34, can you get to those by stepping through the channels?

Stoobie 

GabuGabuGabu
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Hey Stoobie. Thanks for the reply. Just to answer in order to your questions:
- No, the VCR is not B&O but actually a Sanyo betamax.
- Yes, it is connected to the TV via scart
- No, I can step through channels but can't change the "program". It seems it defaults to Program 1 and thereafter I'm only able to switch through channels assigned to that specific program. If I use the antenna out of the VCR into the antennae IN there are maybe one or two channels where the "auto-search" stops because it thinks it has found "something" but it's just a lot of fuzz with a faint image of the tape barely showing through (strangely audio plays almost fine). "Fine tuning" in either direction simply loses the image altogether.

Hence why I was hoping even a cheap universal remote might allow me to simply change programme (no particular need for the other functions) but it seems it won't work so I started looking at B&O vintage remotes but before I splash out and find out it doesn't work I just wanted to make sure if all B&O remotes are backwards compatible. According to the manual the BEO4 should be compatible but it's also quite pricey considering that it has a million other functions I won't use... :P If there were any cheaper alternative or a button combination to switch Programs that'd be amazing but if not I'll just suck it up and get a Beo4.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Tue, Jul 3 2018 6:15 AM
If the Beo 4 works a Beolink 1000 will, too. That will be a cheaper alternative.

But I read here

https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=708

that a video terminal remote is needed for an MX2000.

So you should verify that other remotes do work...

For sure someone on this forum will know.

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 692
Gold Member

I have a Sony Xperia Tablet that has a built in universal IR remote control and I have just tried the B&O options in there and that can control my Beosystem 1 TV so if you have a tablet or phone with an IR remote built in, that may be worth a try.

Failing that I might have a "chocolate bar" Video Terminal somewhere in my "B&O box" in the attic. You would be welcome to it if you wanted to pay the postage. They are quite heavy Crying We will need to make sure it is compatible with your TV.

I am in the UK and from another of your postings it looks like you are in Australia so postage may not be worth it for you .

Stoobie 

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

The MX2000 used standard remote control protocol's,unlike later remotes that used a higher carrier frequency,and more complex codes.

The Beo4,Beolink 1000,and later B&O devices won't control your MX2000.

A cheap universal,particulary say a One For All device will probably have the codes onboard,as they don't usually work with the later product.

Otherwise,as Stoobie mentioned,the vcr should automatically switch the tv to the av mode when selecting play,if connected with a fully wired Scart cable

Nick

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Yes you will need the ”Mars bar” Video Terminal, none of the later Beolink 1000 compatible remotes will do a thing.

I’m not with my MX2000 right now, but I don’t think even the correct remote will get you anywhere with this problem. It doesn’t have an AV button as such. In the user manual, program 0 is stated to be for ”satellite TV”, but I seem to recall you can step to that from the control panel as well. So If it doesn’t work now, a remote won’t help.

The simple answer would be a proper, fully wired SCART cable as mentioned above. Then the switch is automatic, unless you have a very odd device that doesn’t supply the switching signal.

EDIT: I read the manual further. Program numbers 33 & 34 should switch to the AV input regardless of switching signals.

--mika

GabuGabuGabu
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Hello all and thanks for the replies. Yes, there's no AV channel but all I would like to do is turn the TV to program 33 or 34.

I've looked at the manual for the beo4 and it does appear to list "MX models" under the compatibility list. Maybe a "limited" compatibility?

I'd be more than happy to go with the cheapest option available but just don't want to end up with a bunch of universal remotes none of which performing the basic function I'm looking to use. Any tips for things to look for in a universal remote?B

Btw, I have tried the scart option but my betaplayer must not output the control signal required for the TV to switch automatically. :(

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

GabuGabuGabu:

I've looked at the manual for the beo4 and it does appear to list "MX models" under the compatibility list. Maybe a "limited" compatibility?

NO! MX2000 (and MX1500) are completely different. See my answer above.

I reread your earlier post and it seems you are using the wrong buttons (tuning) when you should be stepping. I don’t remember what the actual button says and the manual doesn’t show it, but keep trying...

--mika

GabuGabuGabu
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Hi Mika, thanks for the reply. I have tried for a fair while to find some sort of combination of buttons that would allow me to move through the programs but with no success. As you said, the manual doesn't mention anything in regards aside from saying that you can turn on the unit by holding the "tune" switch...

If anyone knows a way around it I'd love to hear it.

Cheers

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:14 AM

Where do you live?

If anyone wants to help you with a remote would be helpful to know...

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Jul 4 2018 10:11 AM

GabuGabuGabu:
Hi Mika, thanks for the reply. I have tried for a fair while to find some sort of combination of buttons that would allow me to move through the programs but with no success. As you said, the manual doesn't mention anything in regards aside from saying that you can turn on the unit by holding the "tune" switch...

I'm 98% confident there's a separate rocker button for stepping the programs (and it's in the circuit diagram). Can you post a picture of the control panel?

Otherwise, I'll get back to you when I meet with my MX2000 this weekend.

--mika

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Wed, Jul 4 2018 3:47 PM

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Wed, Jul 4 2018 3:50 PM

GabuGabuGabu:

Btw, I have tried the scart option but my betaplayer must not output the control signal required for the TV to switch automatically. :(

Are you sure your scart cable is fully wired? Sometimes you cannot tell by looking at them….

Ralf

GabuGabuGabu
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Hello all and thanks for all the replies.

I will take a picture of the top control panel tonight and post it. I couldn't see any switches for programs said from the on/off and channel tune switches I could only see buttons to control sound and color. Anyway, I will post the picture.

It is entirely possible that the scart I have is not fully wired. Its a Scart<->composite(rca for video, left audio, right audio). The VCR doesn't have a scart output but only composite.

By the way, I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

Many thanks to all.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Thu, Jul 5 2018 7:58 AM

OK, so it is not a SCART - SCART (fully wired) but a SCART Adapter.

This will never provide a signal to turn on a TV...sorry.

A remote bought cheap from Germany Ebay plus shipping as a letter in an envelope would be around 20 € - that is more than the value of the TV (at least over here the small CRTs don't have any value anymore...

But I guess a univesal remote should be able to Control the BeoVision MX2000.

Did you check Logitech Harmony Database online for it?

Ralf

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Jul 5 2018 8:09 AM

You could perhaps apply 9.5-12V to pin 8 of the SCART to force the TV to change to AV mode.

It's explained here: https://www.electronics2000.co.uk/pin-out/scart.php

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Fri, Jul 6 2018 11:03 PM

OK, I finally had access to my MX2000. There really is no channel step button on the control panel. Looks like your options are:

• connect the VCR with an RF cable and tune to the channel, should be possible without a remote
  • Get the proper remote
  • Or a suitable universal remote
  • Apply the control voltage externally as suggested above
No other way as far as I can tell, sorry.

--mika

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Tue, Jul 10 2018 9:18 AM

tournedos:

a suitable universal remote

That is the easiest solution...I would prefer this.

Ralf

tournedos:

Get the proper remote

I could help GabuGabuGabi with this one and buy one in Germany for less than 10 € and ship it to him...

Let us see how he wants to proceed.

Ralf

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS