Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 8002 out of retirement

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

bdilday
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
bdilday Posted: Fri, Jan 22 2016 9:27 PM

I am the original owner of Beogram 8002 which I've had in storage for probably 20+ years. I recently broke it out to put it to use. Unfortunately, it would not power up. It had been so long since I put it in storage (with the original styrofoam and box (so it was well secured), that I forgot that I had "locked down" the platter assembly or whatever you call it. I hope I did not burn anything out with it in the locked position. After finally remembering about the locking, I unlocked but it did not appear to help. However, I noticed that the belt seemed to be loose and very brittle - is it possible that my only problem is the belt? Before I put the unit in storage, it was working perfectly. I appreciate any help as I am not electronically gifted. Thanks.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Fri, Jan 22 2016 9:48 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. Turntables and cassette decks don't stay in pristine working condition when stored a way for a long time. A number of things can and do age where they no longer function. Here is a thread where I restored a couple of them. With some restoration the Beogram can be fully functional again.

Yes, there is one belt inside for moving the tonearm. The Beogram 8002 platter movement does not require any belts so is usually fine. You says it does not power up so the display doesn't show a red dot? If it does, does it change from a red dot to 33.33 when you press the Turn button?

Trying to operate the turntable with the transport screws locked down wouldn't have damaged anything so no need to worry about that.

If you don't have a red dot showing the turntable has power and is in the standby state then it is likely that electronic parts like the electrolytic capacitors have aged where they don't function.

-sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS