Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MMC1/4 cartridge volume

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Steve
Not Ranked
Cape Town
Posts 73
Bronze Member
Steve Posted: Sat, Apr 30 2016 1:20 PM

Hi everyone

I've got an MMC1 and an MMC4 cartridge - hope someone can help with two questions:

1) the volume of the MMC4 is louder than the MMC1 - is this normal or indicative of a problem with one of the cartridge. 

2) the MMC1 sounds crystal clear, however the need guard does not move done far enough to cover/protect the needle. Is this normal or is there an issue? the mmc4 guard on the other hand covers the stylus. 

I'm using these cartridges on a Beogram 5005 and a Beogram 6500  

Any feedback would be appreciated! 

Stephen

pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps replied on Tue, Jun 7 2016 11:22 PM
Hi Steve,

I had my mmc4 repaired by Axl - the cover doesn't slide down to cover the stylus either. It isn't an issue. These tips must always be treated very gently anyway.

The decks you're using are different in that the 5005 doesn't have a built in RIAA section but the 6500 does.

If you're playing each deck through different amps you may experience different levels.

Additionally if you're playing the 5005 through the phono socket of a Beomaster with an RIAA stage inside (Beomaster 5000 or 5500 perhaps?) and the 6500 deck via Tape 2 or Aux, you will hear a difference in volume. In this case I would expect the 5005 through a Phono socket to play a little quieter than the 6500 through another input.

I hope another forum member can offer up additional info to help.

Good luck.

Steve:

Hi everyone

I've got an MMC1 and an MMC4 cartridge - hope someone can help with two questions:

1) the volume of the MMC4 is louder than the MMC1 - is this normal or indicative of a problem with one of the cartridge.

2) the MMC1 sounds crystal clear, however the need guard does not move done far enough to cover/protect the needle. Is this normal or is there an issue? the mmc4 guard on the other hand covers the stylus.

I'm using these cartridges on a Beogram 5005 and a Beogram 6500

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Stephen

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS