Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BL 7-4 Horizontal / Sounds issue

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

matbkk
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member
matbkk Posted: Thu, Sep 8 2016 5:58 AM

Hi There,

Just in case someone has the same problem one day. I bought a BV7-55 with a BL7-4... 

1) I am not a big fan of the 7-4

2) the 7-4 vertically would have made the TV too high 

3) I want to buy a 7-4 or 7-6 in a near future 

So I decided to install the 7-4  horizontally while waiting for the 7-4 or 7-6. If one day someone as the same issue it may help.

I do not believe that it comes from the placement but I am very disapointed with the sound of BL7-4. How should I set the TV ? I have the feeling that the BL7-4 is covered by the R/L speakers.

Also while watching APPLE TV (Gen 4) I need to push the Volume to 70...

Something must be wrong in my settings.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

It might be that something is wrong in your settings (too) - but the 7-4 is definitely made for being placed vertically!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Sep 8 2016 12:04 PM
The ALT is designed to spread the highs through a wide horizontal arc. On its side I guess you will be getting a wide vertical arc and very narrow horizontal sound dispersion.

It also doesn't look right at all to me.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Sep 8 2016 2:05 PM

In addition to wide horizontal dispersion, it's designed for narrow vertical dispersion to prevent interference from floor and ceiling reflections. Mounting it like this guarantees lots of floor and ceiling reflections, and if you sit even slightly off to one side of the tweeter the high frequencies will be attenuated.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi matbkk,

Thanks for posting the pictures on your setup.  I would recommend selling the Beolab 7-4 and buying Beolab 7-1, 7-2 or 7-6, as these speakers will work far better in the space that you have.

As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the 7-4 is sending the treble (higher pitch sounds) to your floor and ceiling, instead of spreading it horizontally across the room - this will make for terrible sound in most rooms!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

matbkk
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member
matbkk replied on Tue, Sep 13 2016 4:12 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answer.

Actually this is the plan since the beginning  as the BL7-4 is just here for the time that I find a BL7-2 or 7-6. 

As we had workers to wire and attach the bracket we just decided to put the BL7-4 to hide the wires and the bracket behind.

The point of this post was just to show an "original" set up and to feed the forum. 

The BV7-55 has Speaker 2 set up for Audio and Video. I am completely amazed of how the BS3 is handling the sound over the BL8000 and the BL2.

Cheers, 
mat 

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Tue, Sep 13 2016 8:28 AM

From me to you / Peter Pan  Yes - thumbs up

matbkk
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member