Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord VX 5000 scrap or repair??

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

jahur
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
jahur Posted: Tue, Oct 18 2016 4:38 PM

hi all,

i have just been dusting down my VX5000 video recorder i once had hooked up to the LX4500, Beocentre 9000 many years ago, this model of VX was built in 1989 type number 4539, its an awesome machine, now i have tried a few times of late to get a video to play but to no avail, everything seems to work fast forward, rewinds at all speeds, cassette plays, doesn't chew up tapes and doesn't get stuck on ejecting, all i get is a charcoal coloured screen with wave and a fuzziness and a very very faint sound from whatever is on the cassette, the question or dilemma if you like is do i scrap or try and get repaired? or just pop it on ebay as a spares or repair?

its in very good cosmetic condition and was last service in 1997 by Bang and Olufsen of Milton Keynes and in 2003 by Bang and Olufsen of Harpenden.

i just dont have the heart to take it to the tidy tip i still have the original user manual!

can anyone advise what it could be?

cheers

jason 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Oct 18 2016 5:22 PM

Oh dear.

Scrap it, because while not beyond repair, it will take many hours to re-cap entirely. Feasible only for the hobbyist not counting beans.

Jacques

jahur
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
jahur replied on Tue, Oct 18 2016 7:17 PM

blimey there was me hoping it was just the capstans that had gone. all else works, just seems a shame, thanks for you reply.

jason 

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Oct 18 2016 7:26 PM

There are some problems that might be fixed after replacing just a few caps on the capstan motor servo board, but unfortunately your symptoms dont't sound like that's the fault here (there is a workshop thread by Die_Bogener somewhere in the archived forum - I managed to fix mine years ago, and haven't really used it since...).

A full recap will only be feasible if you do it yourself for yourself, and even then the very long list of replacement components will cost money and time to acquier. It is an immensely complex machine!

--mika

jahur
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
jahur replied on Tue, Oct 18 2016 7:30 PM

hi,

yes so im led to believe, oh well the tidy tip it is! thanks for your input, it goes tomorrow afternoon should anyone want it for anything they are more than welcome to collect it! 

not many takers i fear but hey...

jason 

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
My beovision mx5000 has the same problems you are describing, AV board it sounds like in the MX.

My VX 5000 has the typical problems listed in Die_Bogener's write up but not as well functioning as yours.

It's an intense VCR. I do like the idea of having a party and popping in a 6hour VHS audio mixtape but not enough to devote serious cash to it. If shipping of this fragile beast wasn't so prohibitive I could be your rubish bin for just the exercise of learning.

Do you have any thing worth while on VHS? I have a couple videos of my performances when I was in clown school and that's about it, and that was a different life I'd rather not experience again.
jahur
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
jahur replied on Wed, Oct 19 2016 12:56 PM

hi,

yes ive got quite a few documentaries ive recorded over the years ive had the VX for nigh on 25 years so i accumulated quite a few videos. just dont have the heart to just "bin" them. i would quite happily buy the smaller beocorder just to watch them and decide whos for the bin or not, the fab thing is that i was quite anal about using the indexing feature, so it would be a matter of flicking through them to eliminate. that's if any other of the beocorders have or support that feature.

i see your in America, Yes shipping it would be quite costly etc.

jason 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Oct 19 2016 2:11 PM

I have the same issue as you, only not as many tapes. But I do have a few, including movies that will never be rereleased on DVD. I bought a relatively inexpensive VCR to DVDR recorder, and am in the process of transferring my tapes to DVD. It does a decent job, in that the DVDs produced look like the VCR tapes, which is, as good as they ever looked when played on a modern, HD TV (which is not so good but it's what it is). There are also little outboard boxes that convert video to digital and plug into your computer so you can use your PC to record them, and put them on DVD or BluRay, depending on the kind of optical drive you have. Those might be options for you, there are services which will do it but I'd expect if you have a lot of tapes it'd be cheaper to do it yourself via one of these approaches.

Good luck!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

jahur
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
jahur replied on Wed, Oct 19 2016 3:40 PM

Hi,

thank you for your advise. i find it hard to just chuck stuff out that doesn't work or is beyond chronological or fiscal repair. if i don't hear from anyone tonight who may want it then its down the tidy tip!

Jason 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Oct 19 2016 5:25 PM

jahur:

Hi,

thank you for your advise. i find it hard to just chuck stuff out that doesn't work or is beyond chronological or fiscal repair. if i don't hear from anyone tonight who may want it then its down the tidy tip!

Jason 

I do so know what you mean! I still have items that need repair that I can't figure out and just can't seem to let go of. My first generation top loading Philips/Magnavox CD player is such a thing. I'm betting the fix is simple, the same issue as the B&O CD that was based on it, but the configuration of the boards and such are different enough I've not yet been able to track it down, but I also seem incapable of scrapping it!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Wed, Oct 19 2016 6:22 PM

Hi Jason

I will happily take it off your hands if you would be prepared to post it or deliver etc. I am located in Wiltshire.

Send me a PM.

Ben

jahur
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
jahur replied on Wed, Oct 19 2016 6:40 PM

hi, sent PM.

jason 

jahur
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
jahur replied on Wed, Oct 19 2016 7:24 PM

hi all, Ben has kindly taken this off my hands, but please if you wish carry on with this post about you VX adventures. could be helpful to a Newbie or the curious. this site is great for advice and to be advised

jason 

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Sat, Oct 22 2016 4:04 PM

jahur:

hi all, Ben has kindly taken this off my hands, but please if you wish carry on with this post about you VX adventures. could be helpful to a Newbie or the curious. this site is great for advice and to be advised

jason 

Big thank you to Jason for the VX5000.  He very kindly delivered it this afternoon and it is in immaculate cosmetic condition.

Will have to sort this at some point!

Ben

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Oct 22 2016 4:05 PM

Enjoy the repair Ben. I take it that you are not faint-hearted!

Jacques

jahur
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
jahur replied on Sat, Oct 22 2016 10:20 PM

Hi Ben hope you feel better soon and your more than welcome!

thanks for taking care of it, i couldn't bear to see it chucked in the skip.

jason 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS