Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New to Beosystem 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
leosgonewild Posted: Thu, Nov 3 2016 6:10 PM

I just bought a Beovision7-40 mk3. It will take a while before I get it set up, but I want to use the time to acquire some knowledge of the built-in Beosystem 3.

First, can I update the software myself?

Secondly, are there any limitations I should know about?

I am planning to connect a Playstation 4, a AppleTV 4, a Chromecast, and Chromecast audio.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 6:29 PM

1) No, you cannot update the software yourself.  You need the B&O Service Tool and the cabling to go into the ML socket. This is B&O Dealer/Engineer only.

2) No limitations by not having the latest SW apart from the menu style changes (which adds set-up features and more) - plus, the refresh rate can be increased from 50hz to 60hz with an update from the very old software to the current/latest.

3) All of those will work fine as far as I'm aware as they all connect to HDMI.

What SW level are you on at the moment?

Lee

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

So upgrading via USB is only for newer models? I haven´t actually seen the tv yet, my father picked it up for me yesterday.

I don´t know what software I have.

The Chromecast audio would be connected via line-in in some way. I do have the possibility to use a Playmaker, but I would like to keep it as clean as possible. I am kinda fed up with cable-salad after my BV7-40 mkII project.

If I connect a projector, will this get a refresh rate of 50/60hz or will it get the refresh rate the projector is capable of?

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 8:55 PM

I don't ever recall seeing a USB input on a Mk3, so I'd say no. Either way, categorically you cannot update the software yourself. 100%.

As for connecting a projector with a higher refresh rate, I'd say common sense would dictate that you cannot get any better than the refresh rate of the actual panel you're showing it on. However, there may be something I don't know..  You never stop learning, especially with B&O!

As for the software, go into the service menu and look at the "Monitor Information". It'll be on there.

The Mk3 7-40 is now a real bargain. Granted, it's not as good as the very, very latest panels - but it's without doubt a very good picture quality, the sound is first class, and the whole look of the TV still shouts 'premium'.  I bought my Mother one last year, and she's still amazed by it!

Lee

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I got the BV7-40 mk3, BL8000, BL6000, BL3500, BS3200, BL2, BL7.4, and some other eqipment for 2300€

Bargain of my life :)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Almost a gift!

Congrats ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 11:24 PM
leosgonewild:

I got the BV7-40 mk3, BL8000, BL6000, BL3500, BS3200, BL2, BL7.4, and some other eqipment for 2300€

Bargain of my life :)

Blimey Leo that's the bargain of everyone's life. Well done old chap.
BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Fri, Nov 4 2016 2:02 PM

leosgonewild:

... I would like to keep it as clean as possible. I am kinda fed up with cable-salad after my BV7-40 mkII project. ...

Congratulations on your new bargain setup. This is what a second-life buyer dreams of.

Cable-salad is just a question of setting things up :-)

BV7-32 MK3 in bedroom:

DVB-S receiver, ATV2, HDMI-Switcher and HDMI Audio Extractor hidden in wardrobe in the background:

TV from behind:

BV7-40 MK2 in second TV room:

DVB-S receiver, ATV2, HDMI-Switcher and HDMI Audio Extractor hidden on the backside of the wall where the TV stands:

TV from behind:

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
That looks very nice, Mr. Ice Smile

I am mainly looking forward to just connecting HDMI divorces and don't have to struggle with getting picture and sound.

Back to the Beosystem 3, can I set it up to play with the subwoofer when listening to video, and only use the 8000's when listening to music. Or can I have different bass settings for video and audio? The bl2 is to heavy for music in the combinations I have tried it.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

No, you can not do that - bas management (and speaker management) in the BSys3 is rather limited.

You'd have to find a cheap BSys4-based tv to do that ;-)

MM

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Ok. So not possible to use only Beolab 8000 for audio?

I guess adjusting bass on the BS3200 will not change the sound traveling through MasterLink?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I think this answers my question:

Sound Modes:

Mode 1: Stereo centre speakers (Subwoofer muted)

Mode 2: Stereo in L/R speakers, Subwoofer is active 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

leosgonewild:

I guess adjusting bass on the BS3200 will not change the sound traveling through MasterLink?

No - if the speakers are connected to the BV7, all sound management is done there.

MM

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS