Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Troubleshooting Beolab 1 static

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

GTS
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 28
Bronze Member
GTS Posted: Thu, Sep 29 2016 2:11 AM

Hi all, hoping someone can help.

Woke up this morning to find one of our Beolab 1's turned on (green light) with a kind of 'rustling static' noise coming out of it. 

It makes this noise whether or not there is a source connected to it, and at any setting (L/R/LINE, freestanding/near wall/etc).

Took the grill cover off and the static appears to be coming out of every woofers/tweeter.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas what to do?

Any help appreciated - we love these speakers and want to keep them going as long as possible.

GTS
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 28
Bronze Member
GTS replied on Thu, Sep 29 2016 4:57 AM

More clues!

It'll still play music OK, just with this rustling noise as well.

The local B&O shop estimates A$1300 to ship the board back to Denmark for repair, which hurts - this has to be a component failure!

Any help appreciated.

GTS
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 28
Bronze Member
GTS replied on Fri, Dec 2 2016 3:33 PM

I though I'd provide an update for anyone interested - the speaker was fixed easily in the end.

The culprit was one bad capacitor. A few were replaced, and now side-by-side with the second speaker in the pair this one's sonically much nicer.

Proves was Beolab 1's are old enough to justify recapping!

Hope it helps someone.

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Dec 2 2016 4:28 PM

as a beolab 1 owner, I thank you for this update !

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

GTS
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 28
Bronze Member
GTS replied on Sat, Dec 3 2016 12:50 AM

My pleasure. 

I'd add the difference against the other speaker in the pair (that has no faults per se) is really, really audible. Enough to justify recapping the PCBs - something I might look into shortly.

I run mine off the line-in out of a very-much-revealing DAC/preamp, and the net results is much nicer. There's life in these speakers yet :)

GTS
Not Ranked
Northern California
Posts 28
Bronze Member
GTS replied on Sat, Dec 3 2016 12:50 AM

My pleasure. 

I'd add the difference against the other speaker in the pair (that has no faults per se) is really, really audible. Enough to justify recapping the PCBs - something I might look into shortly.

I run mine off the line-in out of a very-much-revealing DAC/preamp, and the net results is much nicer. There's life in these speakers yet :)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS