Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosystem 3 for 2.1 setup with PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

pointplace
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
pointplace Posted: Sat, Feb 25 2017 12:49 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a set of BL8000 and a 7.2 center speaker. 

They are currently set up to my home theater computer through a playmaker and the line in.

I am planning on buying a subwoofer and rear speakers in the next year.

In order to get the center speaker working independently instead of having all 3 speakers sending out the same sound, im thinking of buying a Beosystem 3. I found a guy who is selling his 4 year old one for just 650€.

my question is: Will i get 2.1 sound through line in, or should i use my newer computer which has optical output? Will it make a difference or not?

Appreciate any feedback and tips :)

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Feb 25 2017 8:34 AM

Hi,

you can configure the speakers in Beosystem 3 for different setups. In stereo mode it should work like a standard 2.1 system - no matter which input you choose. Anybody with a Beosystem 3 hopefully can confirm that (I don't have one).

Check out the user manual on the Bang & Olufsen website.

If you really can get it for 650,- Euro go for it and try. They sell for much more on ebay etc. altough they are old technology.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Doesn't your 'home theater computer' have a HDMI-output???

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

pointplace
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

yes it does, but I was worried that a 1st generation Beosystem 3, wouldnt carry sound over the HDMI. 

By the tone of your comment im guessing that it does :P?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder

pointplace:

yes it does, but I was worried that a 1st generation Beosystem 3, wouldnt carry sound over the HDMI. 

That's the difference between DVI and HDMI. HDMI was designed from the beginning to carry (digital)sound. So, the BS3 handles sound over HDMI.

I should worry more if the PC handles sound over HDMI. As there has to be some kind of passthrough from the (onboard)soundcard to the (onboard)videocard.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

pointplace:

By the tone of your comment im guessing that it does :P?

A '1st generation Beosystem 3'?

Above you wrote that it is only 4 years old???

i suppose that you will use one of the HDMI-ins for the connection.

The computer will act just like e.g. a DVD or Bluray player, that is connected to the system.

However, you must  - by looking into the settings of the soundcard - make sure, that the sound (from the computer) is outputted through the HDMI as well.

MM

pointplace
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

yes that was my fault, the seller originally said 4 years, but when I had my ex-B&O colleague run the serial number I found out it was from 2007. Still a great deal though.

I just got home with a set of Beolab 4000 that I got from a 2nd hand B&O shop for 500 USD so now im just waiting for my powerlink cables to come tomorrow and I will be good to go.

So the setup will be:

BL 8000 front
BL 7.2 center
BL 4000 rear

I plan to use a PL splitter for the BL8000s so that I can connect both the BS3 and Playmaker. It is a dealbreaker for my wife, who wants to keep being able to start music straight from the ipad on the sofa table.

Thanks for all the comments, I will get back to you all with pictures and updates once I have everything up and running.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

pointplace:

I plan to use a PL splitter for the BL8000s so that I can connect both the BS3 and Playmaker. It is a dealbreaker for my wife, who wants to keep being able to start music straight from the ipad on the sofa table.

You should not do that - noone will advice you to do this!

Instead connect the Playmaker to an audio-in port on the BSys3 - the Playmaker should be set to 'fixed line-out' and to 'Option 0'.

Afterwards you can hide it, if you want to.

The volume controlling will be via the BSys3 - just start the choosen source input with an AV-command first...and start streaming from the iPad.

MM

pointplace
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Hi Millemissen,

thanks for that, but can you tell me why I shouldnt do it? 

As long as the Beosystem 3 is off it should work fine shouldnt it? 

It is a pain to have to always use the Beo4 remote to turn on the BS3 in order to play music over Spotify. 

But if there is no other way, then I guess I will have to live with it.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

It is much too easy to overload the speakers accidentially.

If you really want it that way, you might consider the PL Swich from Almando:

https://almando.com/index.php/almando-category/multiplay/almando-powerlink-switch-stereo.html?___store=endkunde_eng&___from_store=default

Not a cheap solution, though!

And really - activating the input with the Playmaker connected, is just a matter of pushing a button on the remote, that is there anyway...

....and that you need for volume controlling.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Here is another (a bit cheaper) solution:

https://bbuy.dk/en/lyd-fra-fladskaerm-til-bo-anlaeg-eller-hojttalere/powerlink-switch.html

MM

pointplace
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I have made the compromise with my wife, that we will try with the standard setup, and if need be buy the Best Buy solution for 1400 DKK.

Now here comes the hard part, where to hang my Silve/Grey Beolab 4000? 

Our living room is 8 meters deep and 7 meters wide with the sofa being right in the middle, meaning 4m from the rear and 4m from the front.

Our ceiling height is 2,8m so my idea was to do 20cm down from the ceiling and 15cm in from the sides. 

I had an old account from when we bought the apartment at roomsketchers so I tried it out there.

Thoughts?

Thank you for being so overbearing with me, I really do appreciate all the input!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I'd place them just as you have done in the sketch - up on the wall!

P.S. Next question: where do I place the subwoofer ;-))))

MM

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS