Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovox M70 restored... step by step... well almost...

rated by 0 users
This post has 42 Replies | 1 Follower

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

I'm sharing with the Beoworld community my recent Beovox M70 restoration project.  I bought them last fall from Canadian auction site and since they don't come by often, I still bought them despite their "fair" condition.  I was looking for a pair for more than a year so I took the challenge to bring them back to their best.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

This one fell from the third floor I guess, oh my...  The corner was filled with body panel putty, we'll see if we can save it.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

This is another reason why I bought the M70's, the optional trumpet stands!  Agreed they need little care to get rid of the corrosion. 

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Front grills completely destroyed... Sad

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Lets start!

Both speakers were completely dismantled for an entire restoration, I mean from A to Z.  First let's take care of that corner.  Once the putty was removed, luckily the rosewood veneer was still there but the corner was severely damaged. 

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

With a precision knife, the veneer was separated from the wood.  This revealed that the corner was in terrible shape and only a whole reconstruction would make it right.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Many Many hours later with a lot of TLC, the original veneer was put back and finished the best I could.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Both cabinets gently sanded and polished with 0000 steel wool

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

The final touch, 3 coats of satin varnish... 

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Let's take care of the drivers now.  The original SEAS woofer in the M70's suffer from badly assembled terminals on the speaker housing.  The terminals come lose and the spacers are rattling against the cone.  Eventually, the leads are breaking leading to speaker failure.  I was lucky to have all good drivers requiring little repairs.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Terminals epoxied solidly to the speaker frame

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

The filler driver also suffers of problems.  Often, the magnet will separate from the speaker basket leading to coil damage.  Again, chance was on my side and both filler drivers were good however I still epoxied the magnet avoid future problems...

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

The crossover was completely rebuilt and only the original coils were kept.  The layout was made on AutoCAD first in order to optimize the space.  The original resistors were replaced with MILLS MRA of the same values, woofer and filler capacitors were replaced with Mundorf NP electro, midrange and tweeter benefited of ClarityCAP PX.  I choose these instead of the SOLEN, I tried previously, because I was really disappointed by their harshness and limited top end.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

The original speaker grills were unrecoverable so I decided to make my own replica.  This part was the longest of the entire restoration process.  To start with, I cut to size 3 pieces 1/8" thick of high density wood fibre.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Openings practiced same as the original.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

The angle plastic pieces were saved from the old grills and glued to the replicas.  Then, using a steam machine, a clamp bar and patience, the panels ere shaped in an angle like the original.  I had to do it process at least 3 times were the panel kept the desired shape. 

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

I couldn't save the original cloth so it was replaced with high quality speaker fabric made for that purpose.  Since this new fabric was expandable, I had to make a wood frame to stretch it first, then I painted the panel flat black, applied spray adhesive on the replicas and finally laid down the panel inside the frame.  Final result is just amazing! Big Smile 

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

The front of the cabinets were flat black painted and drivers mounted into their location using sealer

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Time to fill the cabinets with dampening material.  Inner walls were covered with speaker dampening wool.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

The rest was filled with the original material.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

The stands were brought to a local machine shop were they were re-finished using the same grit as the original.  Then I painted them using glossy clear laquer.  

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

After too many hours of hard work... Here is the front

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

The side...

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

And the back...

The process described here was much longer and required a lot more steps however if you wish clarifications, feel free to ask.

Oh, btw, the sound is quite amazing, extremely detailed and spectacular imaging.

MrRoast
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
MrRoast replied on Thu, Feb 15 2018 6:47 PM
Good work! I’m impressed with how you handled the trumpet stands 👌🏻
Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Thu, Feb 15 2018 8:09 PM

MrRoast:
Good work! I’m impressed with how you handled the trumpet stands 👌🏻

Thank you for the encouragement!  The above pictures and process description represent a fast forward from, at least, 3 months of work.  The stands were actually mounted onto a large swing lathe and sanded from the outer edge to the middle shaft by very small increments to match the exact same original grit and circular finish.

Little details here and there combined make big differences at the end Smile      

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Really good job! Congratulations for giving a new life for those amazing speakers!

Yes - thumbs up

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Thu, Feb 15 2018 10:17 PM

the_o_master:

Really good job! Congratulations for giving a new life for those amazing speakers!

Yes - thumbs up

Theomaster

I should have paid the same attention to my writing like I did for the speaker restoration but I can't edit the text now... Embarrassed

But yes, they are truly amazing speakers and actually Jacques (Chatz) convinced me to look after them without knowing it, Merci Jacques! Yes - thumbs up

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Feb 16 2018 6:33 AM

Very nice work indeed!

Martin

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Fri, Feb 16 2018 10:45 AM

Impressive work Jean........and I can see you got real pleasure from the work ;¬)

Craig

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Fri, Feb 16 2018 11:21 AM

Dillen:

Very nice work indeed!

Martin

Martin, when I started the project, I knew exactly what to look for and what to do because most of the information came from the THIS forum.  When starting a project, people should really search and extract every piece of information from this website; it is an endless valuable resource.  And you as a person, really helping DIY’s like me to bringing back to life those old reputable piece of engineering; thank you for that! Yes - thumbs up

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Fri, Feb 16 2018 11:31 AM

Thanks Graig!

If you ask my wife, yes too much fun doing this hobby, as I'm slowly filling the house with my stuff! Big Smile 

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Fri, Feb 16 2018 11:31 AM

Thanks Graig!

If you ask my wife, yes too much fun doing this hobby, as I'm slowly filling the house with my stuff! Big Smile 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Feb 16 2018 12:07 PM

Very nice job!

Those M70s are our living room speakers and they sound so nice and unfatiguing.

And they have that prodigious bass too. We use a Beomaster 4400 on linear mode.

Jacques

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member

Thanks Jacques,

Guess what's on the workbench right now?  And who inspired me the most?  You have a lot to with all this Jacques! Yes - thumbs up

Just missing the Beogram 4002 but working on it as we speak! 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 8:55 AM

Were the output trannies fried?

Jacques

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Sat, Feb 17 2018 2:33 PM

chartz:

Were the output trannies fried?

Hi Jacques, 

0 0 1 147 842 Compass-NAV inc. 7 1 988 14.0 Normal 0 false false false EN-CA JA X-NONE Unfortunately yes, two TIP141 on the right channel that I find very strange by the way, but I think I have pinpointed the problem. You see, I consulted the site many times to find the common anomalies for this amplifier before beginning the restoration of mine. In all cases, some output transistors were defective and that, in my opinion, it's really not normal, because this amp is very well protected at the output stage. I have never seen, in all my restorations, damaged output transistors without any damage in the upstream output circuit either through abuse, "visible" component failure or something else... In my case, everything is good, but two failed TIP141 ... ??? As you know, the number one cause of chip failure is heat.  I very much suspect that the heat dissipation from the back plate, where the trannies are mounted, to the heatsink is very bad because of the modular design. I do not want to dwell on it here, but you can see the details on my post here: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/30193.aspx

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Feb 27 2018 2:12 AM
Welly welly welly done! Welcome to the M70 club!

You seem the perfect person to take on P45s with stuck woofers....Stick out tongue

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Tue, Feb 27 2018 4:00 PM

Rich:
Welly welly welly done! Welcome to the M70 club!

You seem the perfect person to take on P45s with stuck woofers....Stick out tongue

Thanks Rich, you've been there right? Big Smile

No thanks for the P45, I have enough on the workbench right now Wink

Jim Carr
Not Ranked
Loleta CA.
Posts 41
Bronze Member
Jim Carr replied on Mon, Dec 10 2018 12:01 AM

Great job!!

Now I have a few questions as I am doing some work on my 70's.

Did you replace the foam on the front of the speaker? Did you epoxy all of the drivers?

It looks like you have to remove the mid range driver from the inside and not touch the nuts you see on the front?

How did you reattach the grills?

Mine sound great now and I want to make sure they do for a long time.

Thanks, Jim.

Page 1 of 2 (43 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS