Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 6500 trouble

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

mpr5231
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
mpr5231 Posted: Mon, Jun 19 2017 5:03 PM

I have a 30 year old Beomaster 6500 that has worked flawlessly until now.  Playing music last night, it suddenly shut off, accompanied by a faint burning smell and a small amount of smoke coming out of the unit.  Now if I try to power it back on, it comes on for about two seconds, during which I can hear a low hum from the speakers, and then it shuts itself off.  

Any insight is hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

mpr5231
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
mpr5231 replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:58 AM

Anyone? Just unsure what to check - I'm guessing the fuse is good because it still powers on, however briefly...

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

It might help if you specified your skill level with regard to electronic repairs.  There is a service manual available on site for silver and gold members.

mpr5231
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
mpr5231 replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 2:46 AM

I'd describe my abilities as intermediate I think. Comfortable with a multimeter and electrical wiring, limited soldering experience though

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 6:33 AM

Sounds like a case of self-oscillation.
Check the condition of the RC-filter on the amplifier outputs as this is where the smoke could have come from.
Replace capacitors in the low-voltage power supply regulator circuits.

If at some point you removed the four polyester capacitors suggested by some people as an "upgrade", put them back in before you power up again.

Martin

mpr5231
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
mpr5231 replied on Thu, Jun 29 2017 4:41 AM

Thanks Martin.  Is there a diagram available showing the exact location of these capacitors?  I'll be honest, I'd prefer to have a professional do the repair, but I wasn't able to find anyone local that's authorized for B&O.  The people that put it in originally closed shop about ten years ago.  Opened it a few days ago, and I've attached some photos.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Jun 29 2017 6:58 AM

The amplifier is not visible in those photos It's under the plastic shield.
That'll be where the smoke came from.

Yes, the servicemanual is available for download for silver and gold members from our main website, but it will not tell you
what to repair if something happens. It merely tells the repairer how the Beomaster was made. It's then up to him to use his
skills and experience to diagnose and repair.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS