Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Advice needed: Vintage B&O US to Europe Power Conversion

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

beobres
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
beobres Posted: Fri, Apr 9 2021 2:46 AM

Hi all~ hope one or some of you can help with advice.  We are moving from the US to Portugal in a few months.  I have several vintage US B&O products that I would like to take, but concerned about power conversion options for use in Portugal.  I spoke with B&O Lisbon about conversion, but they don’t have the parts for equipment this old.  Is it possible to use a simple step down power converter to use the equipment?  I did find a fanless version that both my US B&O Dealer and Lisbon dealer “think” could work.  I’ll put a link to the device below.  (I’ve used another brand in the past for travel to Europe to charge my computer stuff, but the loudness of the fan is a real turn off.)

The equipment I am considering moving include: BeoSound 9000 CD player, BeoLab 8000 speakers, BeoLab 2 subwoofer, BeoMaster 2400, BeoGram 4002, BeoMaster 7007.  Plus some BeoVox S75 and 45 speakers, but since not powered, not an issue.

The fanless power converter I referred to is: (US Amazon link, not sure it it will open for European members)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082ZKH6SH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_056X8SDSN1S7Y39WC1PS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks in advance for your thoughts & advice.

Cheers, Bres

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 6:54 AM

Beomaster 2400 (no upper-case M);
Depending on version, it may or may not have a voltage setting switch at the bottom plate.
If it doesn't, it may need a suitable transformer or an external voltage converter.

Beogram 4002 (no 
upper-case G);
Same as above.

BeoMaster 7007:
There never was such one to my knowledge.
If it's a Beocenter 7007 the above also goes for it.

Beovox (no upper-case V) passive speakers;
No problem, as you also state yourself, because they don't connect to mains. 

The upper-case letters were introduced to "1995-model products" (= from late 1994 forward).

Martin

beobres
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
beobres replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 2:21 PM

Thx for the input,Martin, and the spelling correction! ;-)

I’ll check for the switch you mentioned.  

Any thoughts on the “newer” kit, the CD player and 8000’s? 
Cheers! 

beobres
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
beobres replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 2:21 PM

Thx for the input,Martin, and the spelling correction! ;-)

I’ll check for the switch you mentioned.  

Any thoughts on the “newer” kit, the CD player and 8000’s? 
Cheers! 

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 644
Bronze Member

Not the answer you seek, but: the 8000s&9000 can be sold profitably: USA used price - EU used price + savings on shipping ÷(1-likelihood of shipping damage) >> 0.  But it's trading one kind of hassle (shipping,voltage) for another kind (selling).  You don't happen to be in Florida, do you?Big Smile  For the 9000, see the post from @expoman at the bottom of https://archivedarchivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/39111.aspx

beobres
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
beobres replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 10:02 PM

Thank you trackbeo.  Shipping won’t be an issue, we have a 40’ container planned with professional packing. Sorry not in FL- in AZ.  Thx for the lead to expoman! I had done a search prior to posting, but did not find this.  I’ll see is he is still doing conversions.  Cheers-

beobres
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
beobres replied on Fri, Apr 9 2021 10:02 PM

Thank you trackbeo.  Shipping won’t be an issue, we have a 40’ container planned with professional packing. Sorry not in FL- in AZ.  Thx for the lead to expoman! I had done a search prior to posting, but did not find this.  I’ll see is he is still doing conversions.  Cheers-

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sat, Apr 10 2021 12:22 AM

The Beolab 8000s can be converted to work natively on European 230V, but you probably won’t get any help from B&O for that (this involves some grinding and jumpering of the power supply board). But they’ll run happily on a step down converter as well.

--mika

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS