Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

CD50 Modifications

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

iagreewithjosh
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
iagreewithjosh Posted: Wed, Oct 24 2018 9:53 AM

Hi All,

I've just purchased a non-working CD50 (new belt required) and when I opened it up I noticed that it looks like there has been some modifications. 

Does anybody know what they are?

• Model type? (I've heard there were many variations on the CD50) 
  • IR Sensor for CD Terminal?
  • Personal modifications? (Small PCB to the top right of the image doesn't make me think this is the case)

I don't have the model number as the sticker on the back was torn off when I purchased it.

Sorry I had to upload the image to Imgur. The file upload on this website kept crashing (please let me know if the link does not work):
https://imgur.com/a/IejKLxh 

Also: I'm giving the thing a good clean and need to lubricate the gears and tracks. I've got some silicon grease, but am unsure if there are different types. The one I have is quite viscous. Will this pose a problem?

Thanks for your help,
Luke

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Oct 24 2018 12:06 PM

Don't assume that homemade-looking modifications are really that.
Indeed the marked modifications in the photo are all from factory.
Lots of modifications were introduced during production - and after.
It would be difficult to find two completely identical Beogram CD50s.

There is a label on the right side of the vertical divider (metal plate) inside the deck, just below the small PCB that sticks out.
On this label you can find the block number, either handwritten or stamped, as a single digit. Blocks range from 0-F (hexadecimal).
This digit will tell (a little) more.

Martin

iagreewithjosh
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply Martin

I assume you were talking about this sticker with the number 7 stamped onto it? (Image again hosted on Imgur)
https://imgur.com/gallery/ppxsk0H

PS. After some cleaning and lubrication, everything looks like it's working as it should be :)

Luke

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member
solderon29 replied on Fri, Oct 26 2018 10:40 AM

The BGCD50 was it seems ,made for B&O by Aiwa and employs Sony optic's.It  was embellished by B&O to integrate into their forthcoming Beosystem 5000.The machine was  late coming to market due to production delay's,and the system was launched without it.There was a waiting list at the Dealer where I worked,and even after launch,there were various problems with the design.

With credit to B&O,they dealt with the hiccup's,and the machine eventually proved to be popular and reliable.Hence all the "bolt on" mod's!Most were carried out during production as Martin say's,but many were subsequently done by Dealer's too.

The machines have aged rather well I think,and as  you have found,the main problems now are age related,eg dried out bearing's,hardened grease,loose belts etc.

I'm alway's pleased to get them for repair,as I like them anyway,and I prefer the sound to that of the   later machine's.

It was superceded by the BG5500,which was designed in house by B&O,and employ's Philips optic's,which have become legendary too !!

I hope you enjoy your CD50

Nick

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS