Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLab 14 - switch off problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

amfbv
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
amfbv Posted: Sat, Mar 31 2018 7:08 AM

Hi guys, I have a BeoLab 14, it is connected to a DENON AVR-X3400H. 

I have a few issues :

* the center speaker is not working, when watching a movie on Netflix, I can not hear voices  I set Denon to Dolby or DTX. I have to go Multi cHannel then I hear same thing in all, except I can not hear anything in Center.

* worst problem is that it may work between 10 seconds to 1 minute, then the sound is automatically switched off from the speakers. Only way to put them back is to power off, then wait minimum 1 minute and then power on again. Takes again 10 sec to 1 min and switches off himself again. It is crazy, very frustrating, can not use it .  :( please help.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi amfbv,

Welcome to Beoworld!  Sorry to hear that you are having problems.  Is the Beolab 14 subwoofer set to "Line" mode please using the small switch underneath?  If not, this could cause the issues that you described.

If this doesn't help, please let us know how the speakers are cabled to the Denon receiver and we can assist further.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

amfbv
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
amfbv replied on Sun, Apr 1 2018 11:24 AM

hi Steve,

thank you for your answer and help. the Beolab 14 is set to LINE, otherwise there is no sound at all.

the way the speakers are cabled is through LINE, so I will attach a picture how I connected them in the back( Network to RCA ) . seems there is a short somewhere and Beolab is turning off itself? 

amfbv
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
amfbv replied on Sun, Apr 1 2018 11:29 AM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Thanks amfbv,

The cables appear to be of good quality.  The speaker settings are also fine.  I suspect that it may just be an issue with the receiver settings.  I would suggest moving the plugs from the "Surround Back" sockets on the receiver to the "Surround" sockets, which should help with the configuration.

Next, please can you try plugging the setup mic supplied with the receiver into its socket in the receiver front panel?  The system should go through its speaker setup process and send test tones to each speaker in turn.

Once this has been done, you can open the receiver menu and go to the Speaker settings to check that the speakers which you are using (in this case Subwoofer, Front Left/Right, Centre, Surround Left/Right) are enabled in the receiver settings.

Hopefully, this should resolve everything, please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

amfbv
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
amfbv replied on Mon, Apr 2 2018 6:46 AM

hi STeve

thank you again for your assistance. I have done all that when I first installed my system, but I've decided to go another try today. It looks it was a good choice, because for sure I was discovered that the connection for the C/Subwoofer was mixed, it looks like a cable error in fabrication, because I could hear the subwoofer in central and opposite ( that is why probably I couldn't hear before the central at all ) . 

Now I can hear the central, and Audissey said that the subwoofer was too high, so as I don't have a volume control on it, I have put in on 0 ( 0-10 ) . now it is at 75 dB.

I have tested it again and all the speakers can be heard now, that is a good sign. It gives me certain errors, like the speakers can be in PHASE - but I have checked them and they appear normal. It is the REAR and Central, and sometimes only the REAR appear in the test. 

I will run some more test tonight and I hope they will work fine from now on . Thank you so much and I'll come back in case the problem will show again.

best regards

Catalin 

amfbv
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
amfbv replied on Mon, Apr 2 2018 6:58 AM

tested it now. It has stopped again :)

can it be that one cable is in "short" or something? Problem is I have pulled out cable by cable and tested it again to see where is the problem, but it is the same thing...

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for your reply.  Please can you try swapping two of the cables over (eg. Front and rear cables) at both the speaker and receiver ends?  If the fault "swaps" to the other speakers with the cable then you have a cable issue, whereas if it stays with the same speakers then you have an equipment issue.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

amfbv
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
amfbv replied on Mon, Apr 2 2018 8:35 AM

hi Steve,

problem is that the system stops without reason, and I don't know which of the speakers is causing ( if ) a short... 

it just stops.

what I have tried to do is that I disconnected one by one, to see whether it stops anymore or not. I left only the central and it still turns off. 

don't know whether the settings are correct... I will put a photo...

amfbv
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
amfbv replied on Mon, Apr 2 2018 8:36 AM

amfbv
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
amfbv replied on Mon, Apr 2 2018 8:36 AM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Catalin,

That all looks correct.  It could be an issue with receiver settings, or possible a fault in the receiver or speakers.  I would suggest taking the receiver to the store where you purchased it so that they can check it over.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

amfbv
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
amfbv replied on Mon, Apr 2 2018 8:51 AM

dear Steve,

would be a solution to try connect using the D Sub cable? or that is something to be done with another type of AMP ?

thank you

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Catalin,

The D-Sub cable is unlikely to help here and this will give possibly slightly lower sound quality (due to the receiver amplifying the sound, then the speaker reducing and amplifying it again).

You currently have the optimal setup using the pre-out sockets of the receiver.  Plugging in the setup mic again often resolves this type of issue, otherwise it sounds like a possible equipment problem.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS