Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New video guide - setting up a B&O home cinema system on a budget

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member
Steve at Sounds Heavenly Posted: Tue, Mar 5 2019 12:24 PM

Hi Beoworlders,

You may be interested to see my latest video guide, covering some new ideas for using Beolab speakers as part of a home cinema system without breaking the bank:-

https://youtu.be/5Wep9ZSN3QY

Any questions or comments, please feel free to get in touch!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Audio-Retro
Not Ranked
Spring Branch, Texas
Posts 5
Silver Member

Hi Steve.

I have a pair of Penta 3s as my R&L front speakers in my Home Theater system.  They have worked out really well with my Passive Klipsh center speaker.  Here's the thing.  It is time to ref-oam the 3" mids and I am thinking that I would like to re-foam two on each side, and replace the other 4 with upgrades. (4 ohms).  Something excellent enough to make it a noticeable upgrade.  Any advise?  Thanks a bunch!

Jim...Audio-Retro

New Template
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Jim,

I also use Penta 3s as front speakers and I decided to keep the stock midrange drivers as they are very good quality items.  However, it is worth considering turning one mid/treble panel through 180 degrees to make the speakers "handed" with the tweeter facing inwards - this greatly improves the overall sound balance.  The panel simply unscrews and fits back into the speaker case upside down.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The question remains how many percent B&O does it take to call a home cinema system a ‘B&O home cinema system’?

That said - your video is helpfull to those who want to use some B&O speakers at home......and your cables are excellent for this.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Thanks MM,

Yes, good question.....  The best option is 100% B&O, but at the very least the visible part (ie. the speakers) should be B&O.  Either way is better than no B&O!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Wed, Mar 6 2019 11:17 AM
My B&O Home Theater includes a BM7000, and BG7000 integrated with a BS3 with an ATSC DTV tuner, and controlled by a Beo4 remote.

A Fios STB and Sony universal disc player round out the remaining sources. A Panasonic projector and 5.1 set of Vandersteen speakers driven by 3 B&O MCL 2P amps complete the system.

To me - this is a B&O based Home Theater. Near complete control of everything by the Beo4 and PUC, electronic curtains, and an awesome experience. Yes, a set of Beolabs would tip the scales, but still, not bad.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

The question remains how many percent B&O does it take...

Around 54.8% according to my recent calculations.

Kidding, of course, I believe it takes one pair of B&O speakers of any age, generic TV and a lack of serious funds to buy the Eclipse.

Unless you think it is different from your „Under the Eye“ perspective?

p.s. BIG thanks Steve for the thread!

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Perfect! Big Smile

When funds allow, always 100% B&O!  Otherwise, as much B&O as possible within the budget is fine Cool

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Mar 6 2019 9:53 PM

Back when I was integrating an AV7000 (which included a 45 watt amp for driving a passive center channel) and BL8000s for the mains, I was concerned about whether the amp was inverting or non inverting, as it could result in the center and mains being out of phase with each other. I asked B&O and at the time they said that none of their systems, Beolabs, or the AV7000 or such, were designed with inverting amps. I wonder if that's still the case with newer Beolabs? Especially ones with a fair amount of DSP involved.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Jeff,

That is an interesting point - when setting up Beolab speakers with Yamaha AV amps, I sometimes see an error in the amp menu saying that the Beolab speakers are "out of phase".  This is possibly due to the Yamaha amps being an inverting design.  All Beolab speakers appear to be consistent as far as I have observed, but this isn't something that I have specifically looked for to check in the past.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS