Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

A pair of Beolab 3 vs. Beoplay S3

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Bech312
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Bech312 Posted: Wed, Dec 12 2018 8:26 PM

Hi. 

I have the opportunity to make a good deal on a pair of Beolab 3’s. 

It’s for my kitchen and today I just have a Beoplay S3 (playing via Bluetooth) ok sound, connects easily. Does the job well  

Will the Beolab 3 play as fine as the Beoplay S3, even that the Beolab 3 doesn’t will be paired with a sub. Thinking of using a playmaker and play via an iPad  

It is mostly because of the design I’m thinking about a change ( I can use my Beoplay s3 in another room) but I don’t want to, if the music quality will be worse. I think a sub is too expensive to add to this project  

let me hear your thoughts - hope somebody can help me

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Dec 12 2018 8:38 PM
BLs are really good speaker and give plenty of bass.

I used mine many years before I added a Beolab 11. Reason for adding the sub was mainly for the Beovision 11.

You will not regret a pair of BL3 Smile

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
This is like comparing a C230 with a SLK [:\'(]

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Wed, Dec 12 2018 9:22 PM

Are we really comparing a pair of crappy bluetooth "computer speakers" with the true engineering and audiophile marvel that are the Beolab 3? They are maybe comparable with the Devialet Phantom, but with less marketing crap and a better sound. No comparison possible with a pair of S3. 

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
pauljrog replied on Thu, Dec 13 2018 9:14 AM

Get the Beolab 3's they will sound miles better, no comparison really.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

leosgonewild:
This is like comparing a C230 with a SLK [:\'(]

but in this example which is the Beolab 3? ;-) 

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Bech312:

Hi. 

It’s for my kitchen and today I just have a Beoplay S3 (playing via Bluetooth) ok sound, connects easily. Does the job well  

Will the Beolab 3 play as fine as the Beoplay S3, even that the Beolab 3 doesn’t will be paired with a sub. Thinking of using a playmaker and play via an iPad  

It is mostly because of the design I’m thinking about a change ( I can use my Beoplay s3 in another room) but I don’t want to, if the music quality will be worse. I think a sub is too expensive to add to this project  

Although the BL3 is an obsolete speaker in the B&O range, it's by no means obsolete in terms of its quality.  If you were able to pair these with a core rather than a PlayMaker you will be able to assign the BL3 as a speaker type and also stream high-res audio.  For some people they had issues with the PM (i never did), but just incase.  Or even an essence Mk2 (forget the Mk1)

I only had the pleasure of listening to the S3 once.  It was never stocked in the B&O shops in Melbourne.  And for me i found it to be quite reasonable.  But there is a reason why the S3 was only like $300 and the BL3 was $3000 in comparison.  The S3 is a bluetooth speaker and therefore stand alone, where as the BL3 is a design icon and the ability to be used in more situations than the S3.  The BL3 also has the acoustic lens and the ability to change the bass by its' in built switch. 

But they BOTH play music.  

With each BL3 you will have a power cord and an audio cable connecting to the BL3. 

But if you like the S3 stay with that.   I personally wouldn't.  I would go with the BL3 and especially as you can make a good deal on it. 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
The S3 was sold for 120€ by a phone-dealer in Finland. Without having to buy a phone.

How long did it last on the market? 6 months?

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
leosgonewild:

The S3 was sold for 120€ by a phone-dealer in Finland. Without having to buy a phone.

How long did it last on the market? 6 months?

Felt like 6 weeks. It was sold at phone dealer here too.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Bech312:

Hi. 

I’d say - get the BL3’s, they are excellent speakers especially considering the size.

Only if you plan to play laud and the room is rather big, you will need the sub.....but that is a rather general rule with smaller speakers.

A Playmaker will be fine (mine is fine), if you mainly use AirPlay. Best run it with a wired network connection.

But do think of the other possibilities mentioned from Michael - they will give you more possibilities.

And do keep your S3’s they are good speakers in their way.I have one, which I like - although it is not used that much, I don’t plan to get rid of it.

Only testing at your own place - before you change everything - can tell you, what is best for you.

But having both setups should be fine 🙂

Please do tell us how you get along, once you have decided.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Just noticed - you write about one S3.

With the BL3’s you get sound on another level - because they are two (aka stereo).

This might not be that important in the kitchen, but they will definitely improve the sound compared to one S3.

N.B. Before you settle with the placement of the BL3’s, do try out different positions in the room.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS