Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How to integrate BeoSound Core in older Masterlink-system?

rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 3 Followers

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc Posted: Wed, Sep 19 2018 5:47 PM

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused by the BeoSound Core.

Currently, this is my setup: BeoVision 7 with 2 BL20's and 2 BL4000's connected to it through PowerLink for Dolby 5.1, and a BS3000 connected to this setup using Masterlink for playing music through the BL20's.

Now, I'd like to add the BS Core to this system, with the highest possible audio quality (I don't have those BL20's just because of their looks...) and the simplest way of use.

How would this work out? Should it be connected to the aux of the BS3000 (but it doesn't seem to have an analogue output)? Or to the BV7?

Or (that would be fantastic!) could it be optically connected to the optic inputs on the BL20's, while still using the PowerLink for anything but music?

Any suggestions are very welcome!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Sep 19 2018 9:35 PM
jc:

Or (that would be fantastic!) could it be optically connected to the optic inputs on the BL20's, while still using the PowerLink for anything but music?

Certainly they can be driven optically. That is my setup.

As to which input has priority, my GUESS would be optical.

I suggest you PM Geoff Martin for a professional’s opinion — I am only an amateur.

BeoNut since '75

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Wed, Sep 19 2018 10:14 PM
You need an NL/ML converter...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That is an easy one!

You use the AUX-input of the BeoMaster to connect the PL output of the BS Core (using an appropriate cable - ask Steve/SoundsHeavenly).

Hierby you must set the Core to fixed output.

This way you have all sources of the Core as the A.Aux on the BS respectively on the BV.

Which source you use must be controlled via the Bang & Olufsen app.

Note if you stream to the Core using AirPlay, Chromecasting, Spotify Conect... just push the A.Aux button on the Beo4.

N.B. The volume control is done by the Beo4!

Another way to connect the Core is using the optical output - then an optical to coax digital converter to one of the digital inputs of the BV.

This will require the sequence of pushing the AV button and ‘the source button, you have choosen for the digital input on the BV’.

Whether that will give you a better result audiowise or not, you will have to decide by listening (this definitely is a bit more complicated).

And - the first method gives you the opportunity to use the sources of the Core in your entire ML-setup - the second doesn’t.

Surely you could run a pure digital connection from the Core to the BL18’s - but this would complicate your existing multichannel setup on the BV.

And you can not use the sources of the Core in the existing ML-chain.

The (probably) best solution is to use a NL/ML Converter (as already proposed).

Which solution is the best for you only testing can prove.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Wed, Sep 19 2018 10:54 PM
MM you are a legend 👍🏻💯

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc replied on Thu, Sep 20 2018 7:38 AM

elephant:

Certainly they can be driven optically. That is my setup.

As to which input has priority, my GUESS would be optical.

I suggest you PM Geoff Martin for a professional’s opinion — I am only an amateur.

This would be best. It would give the best sound (purely digital connection with Deezer Hifi) and be easy to control (girl proof). I only hope it will work as you describe!

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Thu, Sep 20 2018 1:01 PM

What happens if you connect the optical toslink to the Beolab 20 from the BS Core and in parallel via Powerlink the Beovision? Is there a priority on each connection in the Beolab 20?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi,

Yes, MM is correct, the best option is to set the Core volume to maximum and link it to the Aux socket of the Beosound 3000 with this cable:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/playmaker-and-essence-wireless-streaming/84-374-rj45-to-aux-input-cable-airplay-on-your-bo-system.html#/4-length-3m

The Beolab speakers are only designed to have one input connection at once, using multiple inputs may give unwanted noises, loss of functionality and poor performance.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc replied on Thu, Sep 20 2018 6:29 PM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi,

Yes, MM is correct, the best option is to set the Core volume to maximum and link it to the Aux socket of the Beosound 3000 with this cable:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/playmaker-and-essence-wireless-streaming/84-374-rj45-to-aux-input-cable-airplay-on-your-bo-system.html#/4-length-3m

Hi Steve,

I'm a bit afraid of sound quality degredation because of the 15 year old aux socket. When using Deezer Hifi (so CD quality sound) through the aux socket of the BS3000, will the sound quality differ from playing a CD on the BS3000 CD player?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi jc,

The sound quality from Deezer should be at least as good as when playing a CD on the Beosound via this option.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc replied on Thu, Sep 20 2018 7:14 PM

Hi Steve,

Really? So the aux socket on the BS3000 isn't that bad as it looks?

I hope you're right, because that would be a relief. I'm just not ready to totally get rid of CDs yet...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Have a listen and decide - and also think of the convenience of doing what you want.

You might somehow (how I don’t know) be able to measure a difference.

But whether you can hear a difference in real life or not (if there is one) is another thing.

Personally I do it this way myself - and that would be my advice for others with a similar setup as yours, too.

(Please use a good quality cable).

MM

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc replied on Thu, Sep 20 2018 7:32 PM

If I'm going to go this route, I'll order Steve's cable. Should be good :-).

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc replied on Fri, Sep 21 2018 4:47 PM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

The Beolab speakers are only designed to have one input connection at once, using multiple inputs may give unwanted noises, loss of functionality and poor performance.

Hi Steve,

I asked my dealer about. He inquired at B&O (because he wasn't sure either) and apparently, the BeoLab 17, BeoLab 17 MK II, BeoLab 18, BeoLab Transmitter 1, BeoLab 20 and BeoLab 20 MK II actually are designed to have several input connections at once. He sent me a B&O document that mentions this as a tip. It's in Dutch, so I'll translate below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tip: connect several sources at once

Information valid for: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 17 MK II, BeoLab 18, BeoLab Transmitter 1, BeoLab 20, BeoLab 20 MK II
Last modified: 05-01-2015 07:41:01

When connecting sources through POWER LINK, TOSLINK and line-in at the same moment.

Priority of sources is:

1. POWER LINK

2. TOSLINK

3. Line-in (L INPUT R)

Note: starting a higher priority source will always disrupt a source with a lower priority. A higher priority source must be stopped to be able to start a lower priority source.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it. So, I've ordered the BS Core and let you know how I fare.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi jc,

Superb news, thanks for that!  If connecting more than one input directly to the speakers, it is important to ensure that all sources have volume control (especially the optical input, as many devices give a fixed volume optical output).

Please let us know how you get on!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Sep 22 2018 4:48 PM
jc:
BeoLab 17, BeoLab 17 MK II

Any idea of what the upgrade consist of ?
jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc replied on Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:38 PM

You mean the upgrade from BL17 to BL17 MK II? Honestly, I don't have a clue: this was just an English translation from the manual for connecting more sources to BeoLabs... :-)

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc replied on Fri, Sep 28 2018 11:05 PM

I got the BeoSound Core today and installed it.

And I must say: I'm very, very impressed. I did not touch my Masterlink system, I just added the BS Core to the optical inputs of the BL20's and honestly, I didn't know the BL20's could sound this good. The Core in combination with the optical cables just opened up the sound of the 20's, compared to the Masterlink connection from BS3000 to BV7 and then PowerLink to the BL20's.

Wow!

And it works exactly as described in B&O's service doc. When the BL20's receive PowerLink signals (from the BS3000 or from the surround sound of the BV7), this overides the optical signals coming from the Core. But when the PowerLink shuts up, the optical signals from the Core take over.

Wow.

And this isn't even Deezer Hifi yet, it's just the regular 320kbs stream. I'll try the Hifi stream soon.

So, to summarize: optical inputs and PowerLink inputs both connected on the BL20's works just fine.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

jc:

So, to summarize: optical inputs and PowerLink inputs both connected on the BL20's works just fine.

Thanks for testing and clarifying this.

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Sep 29 2018 12:28 AM
Thank you for the information! I also have a BV7, BS3000, and BL20s connected by PowerLink, and a BS5. I have long wondered about whether using the optical inputs would be possible and whether the sound would be improved. Thank you for answering this.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Sep 29 2018 2:04 PM
I have a Sonos connected to Aux In of my BS3000. Think I will get a couple optical cables and connect it directly to the 20s.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Sep 29 2018 10:51 PM
I connected a Sonos with optical cables. Can not get anything to play through them.

How do the speakers turn on when using the optical? Does the signal from the Core turn them on? Or do you first activate a Power Link source and then switch to the Core?

Thanks.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Sep 30 2018 2:34 AM
Have decided to order a Core. A question occurred to me.

As the BL20s can be connected wirelessly to the Core, could that be done instead of using the optical cables and still leave the PowerLink connections in place for television watching?

If so, any thoughts on sound quality, wireless v optical?

Thanks!

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc replied on Sun, Sep 30 2018 8:38 AM

My BL20's turn on when the Core starts playing music through the optical. And they turn off a minute or so after it stopped, or immediately when I select standby in the BeoApp.

I don't think the Core supports WiSa, so actually I don't think you can connect the BL20's wirelessly to the Core. If I'm wrong, please let me know. AFAIK WiSa is a digital signal, so sound quality should be the same, if the connection would be possible.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Sep 30 2018 1:27 PM
Thanks! I saw mention on the Core web page of it providing automatic software updates to speakers so I assumed there was a wireless connection between it and the speakers.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Sep 30 2018 2:56 PM
I believe I misread the web page. It was speaking of updating the Core software and thus keeping speakers up to date.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 12:40 AM
Installed a Core today. Connected to my 20s by toslink in addition to PowerLink to BV7-55. Works perfectly, just as described.

Thanks again for the information that this would work.

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
jc replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 12:28 PM

Hi Razlaw,

That's great to read. Enjoy :-).

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
When you use BL20 with the Core and Toslink, do you have any issues controlling the volume through the Core?

When I presented this solution to my dealer, he says that there is no volume control in Toslink, and therefore it is not possible to control the volume with this solution...

I would expect, that it is the Core that is controlling the volume if it is connected to BL 20 through Toslink?
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi MartinRK,

Beosound Core (as with Sonos Connect) is one of the few devices that outputs a volume controlled optical signal, so this is suitable for direct connection to the speakers.  Your dealer is correct that most devices give a fixed volume optical output, but Sonos and Core can be used in this way with volume control.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
MartinRK replied on Mon, Mar 4 2019 10:04 AM
Thanks, Steve

I will update my dealerSmile
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Just show your dealer this thread:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/28411/223684.aspx

The menus in the first page will show what is needed.

I am sure he will be glad to have learned something new 😉

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Mar 4 2019 1:04 PM
MartinRK:

When you use BL20 with the Core and Toslink, do you have any issues controlling the volume through the Core?

When I presented this solution to my dealer, he says that there is no volume control in Toslink, and therefore it is not possible to control the volume with this solution...

I would expect, that it is the Core that is controlling the volume if it is connected to BL 20 through Toslink?

As Steve mentioned, volume control works fine. I control the volume from the Core through toslink via the app, an Essence remote, and a BeoRemote 1 BT.

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
My dealer are saying thank you for the information about this solution Smile

It s always nice to teach a dealer about the possibilities with their own equipment...Big SmileBig Smile
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Thanks MartinRK!

Please ask your dealer to get in touch directly, I can help them with any B&O connections that they need Whistle

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

MartinRK
Not Ranked
Posts 80
Bronze Member
Page 1 of 1 (36 items) | RSS