Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Upgrade from BL8000/2 to BL9

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

jkhamler
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Bronze Member
jkhamler Posted: Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:36 AM

This is the only feasible upgrade I see myself making in the future, assuming I find an attractively priced used pair of BL9s. Has anybody else here made the switch from the BL8000/2 combo to BL9s (no sub) and if so, was it honestly worth it?

Cheers, Jon

Mdjolly1973
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Bronze Member
I had a demo of lab 9's in a stereo setup....absolutly blown away! I have 8000's as a surround set up and i am debating the same upgrade as you....
Rookie
Not Ranked
Posts 68
Bronze Member
Rookie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:46 PM

The BL9 are worlds ahead of the BL8000/2 sonically!

And they can be a real bargain at used prices. Highly recommendes.

Best

Tom

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:56 PM

Use the search function on the archived forum, and you will find lots of answers:

- Dennis Smile 

jkhamler
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Bronze Member
jkhamler replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 1:07 PM

Apologies - I see this topic has been well documented already. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Jonathan

Mindphaser
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 100
Bronze Member

@Rookie:  Tom, in your opinion; which used price can be considered 'correct' for a pair of BL 9 ? I'm considering buying a pair; but i already know tha this will NOT happen...my dream are the BeoLab 1. Cool

Rookie
Not Ranked
Posts 68
Bronze Member
Rookie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 5:06 PM

Private prices for used BL9 are from 3.500€ to 4.000€ ... at least that's what most people pay for them.

Dealer charge from 4.500€ upwards.

Best regards

Tom

jc
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 107
Bronze Member
jc replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 7:29 AM

I don't own any of these speakers but some time ago I read in another thread the beolab 9 lacks 'midrange' compared to the 8002. Perhaps something to consider. 

MikaelB
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
MikaelB replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:56 PM

I did the upgrade from 8000 to 9 when the 9's came out, and I was not dissapointed.

I decided to keep the BL2 as i have a 5.1 setup.

So the 9's in to replace the 8000 and the 8000's moved to the back replacing the 6000. The 6000's I sold.

Regards MikaelB

David Coyne
Top 500 Contributor
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts 305
Bronze Member

Hi Jon

Im actually not sure if the answer is so straight forward.

The Beolab 9s are beautiful, to look at and they sound great... most of the time. I have a pair in my home.

What I would say in determining your speakers you need to consider where they will be placed and what music sources and types you listen to. I actually find my beolab 9s tiring to listen to at times.  I'll explain:

• They are in a room with polished wooden floors and over five metres of glass (floor to ceiling) on one side
  • Im minimal in my design aesthetic..no pictures on the walls.. its quite bare
  • I listen to alot of mp3s and digital music - often i cant find the track in anything more than 320 bit
  • Ive changed the settings many times from wall to free to corner etc... only minimal difference
  • Treble turned right down

In this situation my sound is often quite 'shrill'. The acoustic lenses always sound to me as if they are turned up louder than anything else.

Playing a CD they sound better, but again do not excel with dance music, everything again sounds a bit shrill and top end. (A function of my room, the acoustic lenses and the recordings or digital music source). If Im listening to a nice Jazz CD or classical they are beautiful.. the sound is crisp, clear and breathtaking.

I dont know this for a fact, but I suspect beolab 8000s/02 may sound a bit warmer given the music I listen to. 

I'm a bit frustrated with my sound system given all of the above... I have a couple of options I guess: get carpet! Dont listen to mp3s (which is un realistc as i cant get the tracks I want at a higher bit rate or on Cd), or move to beolab5s or 8000s????

I dont wish to confuse your decision, but there are a number of factors that I believe you need to consider. In the right room though, any of the acoustic lens speakers are lovely. If you're a normal person you probably have 'stuff' in your room and carpet.. so they'd probably sound great. Email me directly if i can assist further?

Best Wishes

David

Beovision 8-40, Beocentre 6-26, Beocentre 2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beo 5, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400, Beocom 6's, Beotalk 1200

Rookie
Not Ranked
Posts 68
Bronze Member
Rookie replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 3:08 PM

My advice: Move up to Beolab 5s ... there you get the mids you are missing. Even the BS5 has a special mode for the BL5 and sounds way better with it, than the BL9.

I own both ... BL9 and BL5 ... and i can second your observations concerning "shrillness" in aenemic rooms ... also the fact, that CD sounds more beefy than digital input via BS5. Digital input emphasizes the crisp sound of the ALT.

A good match for the BL9 is the new Linn Majik DSM with HDMI ... it softens the shrillness quite a bit ... and you can turn off the internal amp and just use the preamp and the wonderful strreamer.

Best regards

Tom

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS