Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4004 doesn't stay on

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Wyatt
Not Ranked
Australia
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Wyatt Posted: Tue, May 25 2021 5:34 AM

Hello everyone,

I've had a Beomaster 3300 for a while now and have just bought a Beogram 4004 to go with it (this is my first record player). The seller said it was in working condition, but I had to leave it for about 6 months after I bought it before I set it up for the first time, and now I have an issue with it powering up.

Basically, I push the START button, and it powers up (the LEDs all turn on, the turntable rotates), but when I take my finger off the START button, it powers off immediately. If I hold the START button down, it stays powered on for as long as I hold it. However, the stylus does not move over to the turntable.

Not sure if this could be causal/related, but the player was sitting the back of my car for about 8 hours of driving before I turned it on. I noticed the turntable jiggling around everywhere, but it seems ok.

Please see below a link to a photo I took of the internals of the player (turntable etc removed). I can't see anything obviously wrong/broken/blown, but I really have no experience working with electronics like this. Also, I'm guessing the issue may well be hidden behind the control panel (which I have no idea how to remove).

https://ibb.co/0Bn6y4x

Otherwise, maybe I'm missing something really obvious?

Thanks for your time!

Kind regards,

Wyatt

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, May 25 2021 4:23 PM

Hi,

When the Beogram 400x turntable is in its home position there is a piece on the tangential arm assembly that is pressing the SO switch actuator to keep the Beogram turned off. When you press the Start button the Beogram circuitry overrides the SO switch and advances the tangential arm assembly forward...clear of the SO switch. At that point the SO switch is not being pressed by anything so the Beogram is On and in play mode.

From your description your Beogram tangential arm assembly never moves so the SO switch is always engaged. Holding down the Start button is overriding the SO button where the platter rotates so you are getting power correctly for the On state. Since the part that is not working is the advancing of the arm assembly I would suggest you monitor the servo motor that drives the spindle for the tangential arm assembly.  See if it is trying to turn or if it is dead. Of course check the belt for that servo motor and the pulley on the spindle. Maybe it is an incorrect belt. I would get a new belt set from Beoparts anyway. 

As another check you can remove the belt you have and see if the arm assembly will move when you manually turn the spindle pulley. Feel for anything obstructing that movement. Also check the servo motor with the pulley removed to see that it is on and turning when you press the Start button.

-sonavor

Wyatt
Not Ranked
Australia
Posts 2
Bronze Member

Hi Sonovar,

Thank you very much for your reply. It was extremely easy for me to follow your explanation Thumbs Up

Referring to the picture below, I have outlined what I believe is the tangential arm assembly in red, and the pulley and belt in green (with the servo motor attached at the other end). When I push the START button, there is an orange LED in the assembly that turns on, and the pulley/belt move slightly but stop after about 5mm of rotation. The belt itself looked to be cracking a bit and was 'stuck' to the 'arm'/axle of the servo motor (is this normal/how it should be?). I tried to remove the belt from the servo motor axle and it snapped. So it's now just hanging from where it was stuck/attached to the axle. When I then tried the START button, the axle did indeed move freely at a high RPM. Once the belt was off I was also able to manually rotate the spindle with ease. I should have unplugged the machine before I did this, as after I rotated it a few times, it automatically turned on haha oops Unsure

So from this, I would deduce that the belt was not in fact meant to be 'stuck' to the servo motor axle, and this was preventing the spindle pulley from turning. So...remove old snapped belt from axle and install new belt?

Thanks again for your time and excellent explanation - much appreciated.

Wyatt

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Wed, May 26 2021 4:32 PM

Great, Wyatt.

Contact Beoworld member Dillen or go directly to his Beoparts store and order new belts for the Beogram. His belts are guaranteed to be correct for these vintage Beogram turntables. 

-sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS