Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

speaker 3 mode good for moive?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

mivsbai
Not Ranked
Posts 77
Bronze Member
mivsbai Posted: Tue, Oct 23 2012 7:31 PM

Hello,

I have a beovision 10 currently. I am think add a external speaker for my TV to enhance sound quality for both music and movies. My plan is to get either a beolab 11 or a pair of beolab 3. As the price of a used bl3s is very similar to a new beolab 11.

As beovison 10 has a build in stereo speaker, it sounds find, but just less a bit bass. So a beolab 11 should solve the problem. And bl11 could also help to deliver a better stereo sound for movies. However,a pair of bl3s should also help a lot too especially in music. If a add a pair of bl3, I have to watch moive in speaker 3 mode, as i have no plan to add rear speakers for budget issue now. I am wondering would I miss noticeable rear sound while watch films in speaker 3 mode? Has anyone had similar set up can provide some experience? 

My question is which combo(bv10+bl11 or bv10+bl3) is more worth to go for. bl3 combo should be great for music, but maybe deliver less quality sound for movies in speaker 3 mode. bl11 combo should provide full stereo sound for movies, but maybe give less quality sound for music. I would use speakers for 50% music and 50% movie. And my living space is about 45m2. Can someone give me some opinions?

Thanks

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:22 AM

An important thing to realise is we are all going to give you personal advice ... our ears, music selection, sources, and rooms are all different !

Background

I have had a BV*-32 and now a BV8-40 coupled to 2 x BL3s plus a BL11

The BL11 was added two years ago, prior to that we have the BL3s for a year in the mode you are asking about

The BV8-32 was upgraded to a BV8-40 this year

I have never run either BV8 with only a BL11

On occasions I use a pair of BL4s as rear speakers ... but it is a rare occasion

Observations

The BL11 made a big difference even to the BL3 setup (I originally got the BL11 for the 6000s we have, but it never made it past the BV8 Big Smile)

My family tend to simply sit and experience the Speaker 3 mode

I tend to fiddle speaker settings (2 versus 3) depending upon the content I am watching

Some TV shows/movies I will flick to speaker 2 mode because I find the BV8 speaker too dominant for the dialogues (I know, counter-intuitive, but then my hearing is going and so sometimes I can here better speech through just the ALTs of the BL3s)

Often our music plays through the Apple TV (using iTunes home sharing as a source) so the default mode is Speaker 3 - another reason for me to some times fiddle with the settings Smile

Of course when we play music via the BeoSound 4 it is always in Speaker 2 mode

Recommendation

Go with the BL3s -- they will give you additional bass, and provide you great stereo separation (I am speaking form my perspective, not having listened to a BV10 in the store with any serious intent to purchase it)

I think a BL11 is the next step ... if necessary

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

As Beo-Ed noted it all really depends on your circumstances.

If you are moving around in the room a lot, you could start with the BL11. Many are happy with the combo of the BV10-speakers/BL11.

But if you prefer stting listening to music in front of your setup, you might rather choose the BL3 (adding the BL11 later), because of the better "soundstage".

The Speaker 3-mode allows more people i.e.the whole family sitting in front of the tv to hear the dialogs from where they are intended/from the screen. However if you are sitting alone in the sweetspot, the Speaker 2-mode might give you a better soundquality especially when looking/hearing music-concerts.

It is - with a B&O-tv - very easy to swap between the soundmodes, so try out what fits you. And you can make presets for either mode depending on video- or audio-listening.

Go for the BL3 and start saving for the BL11 as soon as possible Stick out tongue

N.B. When you are listening to DVD/Bluray you are better off choosing the stereo-soundtrack untill you have rearspeakers as well.

Grrr! Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member
BeoLignage replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 12:28 PM

Millemissen:

N.B. When you are listening to DVD/Bluray you are better off choosing the stereo-soundtrack untill you have rearspeakers as well.

Just a question to your last Note back...

most 5.1 receivers have a 3.1 or 3.0 config. which means that no sound, that was supposed to go to the rear speakers, is lost. Doesn't it work the same way with the BV10 or any BV with surround module? Which means with the 3.0 set up suggested by OP you should be able to get the benefits and use the multi channel soundtrack?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I am not  quite sure what you mean?

Decoders in receivers etc - that includes the ones in BV - and in DVD-/Blurayplayers have the possibility of downmixing a multichanneltrack to stereo. 

If you have a 2.0-setup (BV=3.0) my advice is not to choose the mulitichannel-track at the source/disc, but the stereo-version if avaible. You should avoid downmixing the sound!

The decoder in the BV can create a centerchannel from the stereosignal (Speaker 3). In fact modern DPS's can even create a multichannel-signal from the stereo - but that is another story. See: "Technical Sound Guide" at the B&O-website: 

The short answer: of cource the sound intended for the rear speakers is lost - these signals are meant for rear-speakers. Mixing these signals to the frontspeakers has no benefits.

Greetings  Millemissen

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member

It is really good, the "Technical Sound Guide" at the B&O-website! Surprise

So your statement is that upmixing (refer TSG above) of a stereo sound track from the source, is better than downmixing the multichannel track from the same. This if having a physical 3.0 set up.

I will not disagree with that statement since I haven't tried it. Just thinking of the stereo sound track if available, would it include some sounds that are aimed for the surround speakers in the multichannel track?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I would say no - but it really depends on how the mix was done by the sound-engineer.

How those things are done nowadays, you never know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I say is: do not do too much down-and upmixing No - thumbs down

What the B&O-soundengine does - when creating the centerchannel - is nice because it optimizes the stereo-sound to fit better to the screen when watching a normal tv-program.

Note: nowadays some channels are even broadcasting in 5.1 - this is the way to go for the future. But again: only if it is original in 5.1 and not upmixed from mono or stereo!

Keep it as close to the original as possible!

Greetings Millemissen

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS