Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 2 aux input cable, Beolab 8000 spares

This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

r220587
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
r220587 Posted: Sun, Jan 21 2018 9:10 PM

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a Beolab 2 sub and two Beolab 8000 speakers. Unfortunately I don't have a B&O stereo - Quad 33/303 set up - and I'm trying to figure out how to set it all up. I don't have any cables currently, but have figured out I need the power link mk3 cables from the sub to the speakers, but the line into the sub from the stereo is where I'm stuck. Im capable of making my own cables, but would like some details on what each pin on the din socket is for; also, how to get around the automatic power trigger function if the Beolab 2? 

Finally, I need some spares for the Beolab 8000s - they're fully functioning, but cosmetically poor.. 

I need x2 bases, x2 grills and x2 of the semiconical polished aluminium bit at the base which covers where the cables go in - unless this is part of the grill assembly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated  

cheers

Rob

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Jan 21 2018 9:23 PM

Pin 2, ground. Pin 3+5 stereo audio, pin 4 is trriggervoltage.

r220587
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
r220587 replied on Sun, Jan 21 2018 9:30 PM

Great, thanks for this info.

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Bronze Member

I would buy a chinch (right and left) to Powerlink cable and connect your source to the Beolab 2. Then, I would have two power link cables going from the two outputs of the Beolab 2 to the Beolab 8000. This way the Beolab 2 takes away the Bass signal and the Beolab 8000 only do mids and highs, which spares the Beolab 8000 as they do not have to work as hard. 

It is very simple to replace the fabric of the Beolab 8000, just buy some acoustic fabric (you can even choose different colors!) and attach it to the speaker grill (removing the old fabric beforehand, obviously).

For the base of the Beolab 8000 I am afraid you just have to buy new ones!

I hope this helps!

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Bronze Member

Also for soldering the cables: I have done this multiple times as there are many cables that Bang&Olufsen simply does not offer, especially not in the lengths I need (rj45 to Powerlink). However, it is quite difficult as the Din 8-pol plugs are small and difficult to solder (and they melt way too quickly). If you really want to go down this path then you can find the right pinout on the internet.

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member
solderon29 replied on Mon, Jan 22 2018 10:55 AM

Get in touch with Steve at Sounds Heavenly,a sponsor of this site.

He makes a little kit that will create the trigger voltage from an rca connection,designed specially for adapting Powerlink for use with non B&O amplifiers.

He also makes cables for Quad gear,so should be able to get you sorted.

I think you are going to need some sort of adaptor to connect to the special Quad four pin cable between the 303 pre-amp and the 33 power amp,as the drive signal needs to be a variable line level.

Nick

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Thanks Nick!

Hi Rob,

Welcome to Beoworld!  Yes, I can sort out a 4 pin DIN Quad cable for you that gives stereo sound to the Quad 303 power amp (if you also want to use passive speakers), plus a stereo feed to the Beolab 2 at the correct pre-amp level.  This will also have the correct trigger signals to activate the Beolab 2 without having a B&O system connected.  The Beolab 8000 speakers can then link to the outputs of the Beolab 2 with Powerlink mk.3 cables, as they would in a B&O setup:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-8-pin-din-connection/powerlink-mk-3-compatible-8-pin-din-cable-with-4-cores-wired-low-profile-cable

Please feel free to get in touch via my sponsor link below and I will be pleased to help!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

samsp
Not Ranked
Posts 44
Bronze Member
samsp replied on Tue, Sep 10 2019 6:49 AM

Similar question - I have a pioneer 7.1 receiver and klipsh sub. I have 5 beolab 6000's connected via RCA and a custom 8 pin din to force the speakers on while in use - so that they don't keep toggling on/off based on the presence of surround sound. I have been lusting after the BL2 to match the beolabs. If I replace the existing sub, how would I connect a beolab 2?

Should I make a cable for the beolab 2 that takes the sub output from the receiver and the 5v signal. Which pins does the BL2 use for signal (left vs right?). This has the advantage that the receiver figures out the crossover and manages that as part of its d2a processing, so should get LFE in addition to L&R low frequency signals.

Is there any benefit of chaining the front L & R speakers off the sub instead?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi samsp,

Thanks for your enquiry.  Please don't use the 12v output of a receiver to trigger Beolab speakers unless you have confirmed with the receiver manufacturer that this is suitable - the manufacturers that I spoke to all said that this would void the receiver warranty and could potentially cause equipment faults.

Instead, please use a separate mains-derived trigger voltage to activate the Beolab 2 subwoofer, this should connect to the receiver subwoofer output(s) with the other speakers using the mains speakers pre-outs for best results:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/101-459-singletwin-rca-to-beolab-2-7-10-2500-powered-trigger-kit.html#/2-length-1m

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Teyelvis
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
Teyelvis replied on Wed, Mar 24 2021 5:41 AM

Apologies for reviving an old thread. How do i get the trigger signal for the beolab 2 if I'm using a minijack connected to airport express for streaming ? 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi,

Yes, I can help!  When used with an Airport Express, your Beolab 2 subwoofer needs a powered cable to generate the trigger signals to activate it:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/102-438-minijack-to-beolab-2-7-10-2500-powered-trigger-kit.html#/2-length-1m

The other Beolab speakers will then plug into the two output sockets on the Beolab 2 using standard Powerlink mk.3 cables (one cable is needed for each speaker):-

https://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-8-pin-din-connection/20-272-powerlink-mk-3-compatible-8-pin-din-cable-with-4-cores-wired-low-profile-cable.html#/9-length-18m

In this configuration, the Airport Express will control the speaker volume, but the speaker will remain on all the time that the trigger cable is connected and powered on.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Teyelvis
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
Teyelvis replied on Fri, Mar 26 2021 11:15 AM

Thanks Steve.

Everytime I plan to use it , have to switch power back on? Will there be any noise interference from the power source?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi,

With this setup, you can either leave the speakers on (there isn't any noise or interference from the power source) or if you prefer you can turn them off after use - I use remote control power sockets for this at home and it works well.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS