Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Struggling with BC3500 Deck(s)

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob Posted: Sun, Oct 28 2012 12:22 AM

All right, you skeptics...... You was right and I was wrong = (nothing new here, I used to be blonde, when I've still had hair) Stick out tongue

I'm restoring BC3500 for a "customer" more as exercise than for profit (is there any profit to be made on this type of things? - I surely don't know how to do it or, cannot be bothered with getting rich).

I've got to date 4 BC3500's (2 of which are designated spare parts donors) and that's where the problem starts....

I've bought one of German eBay and after inspecting it closely find out that 1) is completely different model, 2)  is 87.5 - 104MHz (what luckily have nothing to do with deck issues), 3) don't have working deck or motor neither, 4) was stored someplace wet and after plugged in to be tested (not by me - PLEASE Whistle) prior to sell burned amp end and as result blown the fuse.

Other one I deal with have the very same symptoms as all of them - runs very slow, cannot be adjusted and won't switch speed etc, pick up etc is all over the place, when it take place at all.

I have full service manual and follow recommended settings very closely, also I'm quiet prepared to rebuild it, if necessary... where can you get bearings for those these days.?

I've tried and tuck some photos, but they're even more useless than me Sad - will try to borrow digital camera of my missus and do better job tomorrow, when continuing with other bits other than the deck

I find out that manual on, lift on and other micro-switches are all over the place, motor unentered, but seem have bearing problem as well, the thing is that it does require centering of the rotor via B&O Tool Nr 3624004 - anyone have closer description of dimension, thickness etc so I can make one? I'm sure it'll be worth to get one as I alone have and know several units with same problems and motors Nr 8400010 seem be impossible to find....

All the best

bob

Don't worry - be Happy

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Well Bob, now is the time when you have to sit down, calm down and start thinking.

If the fuses are blowing, you will have to find out why, starting at the transformer, I have downloaded the manual and will take a look at it tonight.

As for the turntable: Its a turntable nearly like the 1200 series, go to my thread about the BG 1202 50 to 60 Hz, You wont need new bearings but you will have to take it apart and clean everything, also the arm mecs, most important is the speed mecs, they are prone to old grease and dirt, take it apart and clean it. The motor rotor you can center with a pair of acetate sheets, I used 0.10 and 0.05 Mm. and stuck them in between the field coils and the rotor where I could get at it, and adjusted until I got the same amount all around. As for the bearings I cleaned them with Iso alcohol, and then lubricated with liquid bearings, If you have the belt clean it with Iso, the same for the whole speed mecs. also the rubber idling wheel.

If you need help from here, we need precise descriptions of your failures, ranting like above wont get you any help.

Now go to my BG 1200 thread and READ it, not just skim it, read it, and that and reading the manual will get you going.

Dont start doing more than one unit at a time, you will get confused and mix them up when thinking of the failures.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 12:05 PM

Hi Søren,

thanks for your reply - yes that what I'm doing (at the moment addressing all other issue) with unit in question - leaving the Turntable aside for a moment.

I've mentioned the other unit(s) solely to make the point that having other units for spares may prove be contra productive as many suggested and bit my lip to admit it. 

I repair electronics and house appliances for larger part of my life now and without blowing my own trumpet, would say that I'm very good troubleshooter and rather good at it, but reason why one ask is to see what others did and to eliminate dead ends (and someone already been there, that I'm certain off)

I've read your threads and also know just to well that obvious things such cleaning cannot be skipped or and fast forwarded, especially shall you want call it restoration.

I know what caused the fuse to blow on the other unit - as I've "rambled about" - it has been stored wet (to extend when the whole bottom is solid rust and no paint at all), and than plugged in by "average" user, and can easily locate and rectify  the cause (having few of those for spares) and I don't recall me showing any confusion or and uncertainty about it, therefore you don't need wasting your time going through manual (I can do that just the same and fine) unless you really want to.

As for your statement about the turntable being like 1200's - there are other threads (some of which mine) narrowing their crucial differences to motor assembly and that is my main and only problem. I always thought that motors can be adjusted without tools (although would be much easier to do with it) as Martin confirmed, and your tip is not only great ,but may be the only way (as replacement motor be impossible to find) forward.

Thank you my friend

b

Søren Mexico:

Well Bob, now is the time when you have to sit down, calm down and start thinking.

If the fuses are blowing, you will have to find out why, starting at the transformer, I have downloaded the manual and will take a look at it tonight.

As for the turntable: Its a turntable nearly like the 1200 series, go to my thread about the BG 1202 50 to 60 Hz, You wont need new bearings but you will have to take it apart and clean everything, also the arm mecs, most important is the speed mecs, they are prone to old grease and dirt, take it apart and clean it. The motor rotor you can center with a pair of acetate sheets, I used 0.10 and 0.05 Mm. and stuck them in between the field coils and the rotor where I could get at it, and adjusted until I got the same amount all around. As for the bearings I cleaned them with Iso alcohol, and then lubricated with liquid bearings, If you have the belt clean it with Iso, the same for the whole speed mecs. also the rubber idling wheel.

If you need help from here, we need precise descriptions of your failures, ranting like above wont get you any help.

Now go to my BG 1200 thread and READ it, not just skim it, read it, and that and reading the manual will get you going.

Dont start doing more than one unit at a time, you will get confused and mix them up when thinking of the failures.

Don't worry - be Happy

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS