Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolit 20 launched!

rated by 0 users
This post has 61 Replies | 2 Followers

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member
Steve at Sounds Heavenly Posted: Thu, Oct 29 2020 8:15 AM

Hi Beoworlders,

B&O have just launched the new Beolit 20 Bluetooth speaker in a choice of colours.

Everything you need to know about the new Beolit 20 will be covered in my full review, which goes live at 12pm (UK time) tomorrow - Friday 30th, please come and join me for the unveiling of this great new speaker! https://youtu.be/bHjU4HyYwpg

Please join me tomorrow for the video and let me know what you think of this new speaker.....

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Thanks Steve.

That’s what I came to post.

I wish they did a white one again.

Looking forward to your review.
john_service
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Thanks Steve. Looking forward to your review. Based on the raw specs at least, the Beolit 20 seems like a dud IMO. It’s 2020 and the new Beolit only supports Bluetooth 4.2 and has a Max battery life of 8 hours at “typical” battery life. With Bang & Olufsen’s most recent Bluetooth-enabled products e.g. Beosound A1, H95 all supporting Bluetooth 5.1 and offering vast improvements in battery life, I’m baffled by the specs of the Beolit 20. 

Hopefully your review is able to provide a more positive take on the Beolit 20, cos on paper this looks like a real step backwards for B&O.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 9:01 AM

Looking at the feature set on the B&O website, they dont seem to have added anything meaningful really.

I'm sure the battery lasts longer yes, and I'm guessing the sound will be bigger / more meaty.

I guess as its.a BT speaker, there was little additional they could do with it (no direct voice control, no multiform, no Halo control etc)

And I presume they know their market better than me, and having another proper size portable (ie BT) alongside the BS1 makes sense.

But as one of the 10 new product releases, this seems pretty underwhelming to me.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

IMO that only counts for 1/2 new product.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 9:28 AM

John @manchester have a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2quxkbxOS4&t=500s

Same internals as it seems.

Can stereopair with a Beolit 17.

Qi charger on top and different style of buttons.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 9:37 AM
A bit disappointed it doesnt do multiroom and wifi. Its a stellar product for home use and I barely bring mine out. I do bring A1 and the small P-something speaker when I travel or go out camping etc. It would have been a marvel to introduce people to the multiroom feature. I like it but I dont like the color schemes that are to contrasty. Pity.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 10:18 AM

Love the qi-charger! But was expecting the A1-internals with voice control.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Michael:
A bit disappointed it doesnt do multiroom and wifi. Its a stellar product for home use and I barely bring mine out. I do bring A1 and the small P-something speaker when I travel or go out camping etc. It would have been a marvel to introduce people to the multiroom feature. I like it but I dont like the color schemes that are to contrasty. Pity.

Hi Michael,

You could always connect a Core to the Beolit to give it Multi-room and Wifi.....  Please feel free to get in touch if this is of interest and I can help with the connections.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

The Beolit is so close to being an amazing product. But at this price point, I think they had to remove certain features. The Qi wireless charging is a nice touch as is the longer battery life. Although I completely agree if it had wireless streaming built it, it would be an excellent alternative to the BS1 (The BS 1 is more of an in-home portable, while the BL 20 would be an excellent take anywhere type portable. Probably would be a best in class product with wifi streaming, voice controls and BT 5.0. Yup, so close....

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 10:42 AM

Agreed.

But for the purpose of those ho got excited by the 10 new products claim / promise, this will count as one of them I'd be fairly sure.

Even Johns video struggled to muster up any enthusiasm.

Millemissen:

IMO that only counts for 1/2 new product.

MM

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 10:46 AM
Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi Michael,

You could always connect a Core to the Beolit to give it Multi-room and Wifi..... Please feel free to get in touch if this is of interest and I can help with the connections.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

I agree but the core is an even more expensive product. A Sonos one is about 250 euro and is wireless truly, well except battery and such. I believe B&O should have used the big chassis as a way to include WiFi - the first one, BeoLit 12 did have it. It would have been a good way to also sell the new halo device.

Anyway, thanks for your idea but I believe the device would have benefitted sales wise and usability wise from better connectivity in itself.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
This is a simple speed bump.

Why can’t they take a bit of inspiration from me and Tuomas? Stick out tongue

https://youtu.be/vKqTtWvFV2k

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 10:48 AM
Jaffrey2230:

The Beolit is so close to being an amazing product. But at this price point, I think they had to remove certain features. The Qi wireless charging is a nice touch as is the longer battery life. Although I completely agree if it had wireless streaming built it, it would be an excellent alternative to the BS1 (The BS 1 is more of an in-home portable, while the BL 20 would be an excellent take anywhere type portable. Probably would be a best in class product with wifi streaming, voice controls and BT 5.0. Yup, so close....

My B&O Home:

Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office) Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core (Bedroom) Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room) Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable) Beoplay M5 (Dining) Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel) Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired) Beoplay P6 (Portable) Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance) Beoremote X (poor man's Halo )

Exactly - for everyone who isn’t extremely rich. Bs1 is totally out of reach for most young people and it would have been a good entry level device to the system and future purchases. Now it’s not. Those people will and are already buying Sonos or other wireless devises. Who wants to pair to Bluetooth nowadays?

Regarding Bluetooth, my friend always uses his A1 and most friends are paired to it. When we have parties it always stops when someone gets a message etc (and someone else is playing to it) since it always grabs the latest active device. It works more or less but these disturbances are common and always an annoyance at those events. With WiFi it wouldn’t have been like so.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Could have been a nice M4 - even from price it could have been something between the M3 and the M5.

MM

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 1:06 PM
Here’s the black sheep who thinks there are no DAB+ receivers in the B&O lineup. Embarrassed

Olivier
Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 1,059
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 1:15 PM

I'm a little disappointed too. Sad

I expected a new multiroom speaker with a new design, that can be remotely controlled with the halo.

Do you remember the speaker in the leaked "new product" video last year? Wink

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts 768
Bronze Member
Fansastic replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 1:28 PM
It already needed multiroom from the Beolit 15 onwards! A pity they do not use this product for the Multiroom lineup. A great alternative for the BS1 and more ad home in the garden or in the bathroom.

Not very interesting now. Miseed opportunity imo

BV Harmony 65 / Eclipse 55 / BL 50 / 19 / 18 / BS 2 all brass

BV Horizon 48 / V1 40 / BL 17 / Beoplay S3 all black

V1 / BL 3 / BS Essence MKII / Beoplay A3 all white

BS Moment / BS 3000 / BS 3200 / BL 400 all silver

Headphones / bluetooth speakers / BLC NL-ML / BLGateway

I know…B&O virus has grown on me ! 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 7:20 PM

Fansastic:
A great alternative for the BS1 and more ad home in the garden or in the bathroom.

It's funny that those features people wish for integration in a NL setup are the reasons why I've bought a Beolit 12 to integrate my Airplay setup: Garden, Bathroom, mobile, etc. I just wish it had the same sound quality the following updates (15, 17, maybe 20…) brought.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

That thing when you "launch" a BT 4.2 speaker in 2020 at 500 EUR price. Big Smile Happy selling.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Thu, Oct 29 2020 10:04 PM

Fansastic:
It already needed multiroom from the Beolit 15 onwards! A pity they do not use this product for the Multiroom lineup. A great alternative for the BS1 and more ad home in the garden or in the bathroom.

Not very interesting now. Miseed opportunity imo

Maybe the next "new product" version can have built-in insect spray and fragrance module?

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Next years model comes with more power....

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 1:47 AM

leosgonewild:
This is a simple speed bump.

Why can’t they take a bit of inspiration from me and Tuomas? Stick out tongue

https://youtu.be/vKqTtWvFV2k

Cool hack! I think the BeoLit 12 is prime for a BeoCreate 4CA conversion Cool

Beo4 'til I die!

matteventu
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Bronze Member

Honestly, it's one of the most disappointing product launch I've ever seen from B&O.

And to be honest, after the excellent launches of H95 and Beosound A1 2nd Gen (despite hating its rename to "Beosound"), I had high hopes.

But this is completely pointless.

With the two mentioned products you can see they actually made an effort to release devices filled with cutting-edge technologies that make their user's lifes easier and better, such as full-fledged Bluetooth codec support (AAC, aptX Adaptive, for both), compliance to the most common fast-pairing Bluetooth protocols (Fast Pair of Google and Swift Pair of Microsoft, for both) and USB-C audio support (for both).

Here what do we see? 0 sound improvements. 0 connectivity improvements. 0 battery life improvements. 0 "conveniency" improvements.

But hey, you've got wireless charging mate.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I daresay they have had the BeoLit20 waiting in the wings for release for sometime and perhaps why it's not featuring all of the latest tech you would expect in a release in late Oct 2020. 

I wish they released it in white

I get what you mean Michael, too.  In those party situations it would have been better to have WiFi afterall the technology that B&O have implemented with other WiFi products is superior to the WiFi in my old BeoLit 20. 

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Does this also mean that the Eclipse Gen 2 will not be launched this Friday (today Aussie time) now ? Confused

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael:

Does this also mean that the Eclipse Gen 2 will not be launched this Friday (today Aussie time) now ?

If the Beolit 20 is anything to go by, the Eclipse 2 will be exactly the same as Eclipse 1 but have wireless phone charging. ☹️

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

seethroughyou:
Aussie Michael:

Does this also mean that the Eclipse Gen 2 will not be launched this Friday (today Aussie time) now ?

If the Beolit 20 is anything to go by, the Eclipse 2 will be exactly the same as Eclipse 1 but have wireless phone charging. ☹️

It is updated products, what do you all expect,

Same price more to offer.

If you guys want WIFI speakers there are plenty to choose from in all price range.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi guys,

Yes, I agree with Emil.  Beolit 20 is intended to be B&O's ultimate portable Bluetooth speaker.  There is a good choice of wi-fi Multiroom speakers in the range for those who want them (or you can add a Core to a Beolit if you really want to make this a Multiroom speaker).

In 3 hours time, my review will go live and I will hope to cover a few extra ways that the Beolit can be used that you may not have thought of - having the Beolit 20 for the past week has really opened my eyes to just how flexible it can be to use and how good it sounds......

Hope to see you on YouTube at midday (UK time)! Cool

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 9:20 AM
Emil Jensen:

It is updated products, what do you all expect,

Same price more to offer.

If you guys want WIFI speakers there are plenty to choose from in all price range.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset

Isn’t it obvious? WiFi and casting capabilities to make it a competitive and practical device. Even the beolit 12 had WiFi. It’s a very weak iteration and they could just have kept selling the 17. Even the wireless charger is slow at 5W.

You are right though, there is plenty to choose between and believe me that the target audience for the beolit now will go for another brand.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Hallo Michael,

Just curious, what is the alternative that you think about?

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 9:58 AM
I think we’re well aware that this is a portable BT speaker that they have updated

I wasn’t expecting anything different, though as an update it’s so marginal as to require a magnifying glass

And despite not expecting anything different (I.e adding WiFi) , it doesn’t mean one can’t be indifferent towards it.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sandyb:
I think we’re well aware that this is a portable BT speaker that they have updated

I wasn’t expecting anything different, though as an update it’s so marginal as to require a magnifying glass

That is ok with me!

However, then they should call it an ‘updated’ product.....and not a ‘new’.

Counting this as ‘new’, just creates disappointment - which is not something to build upon.......at least not for existing costumers.

MM

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 10:36 AM
Emil Jensen:

Hallo Michael,

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset

Sonos, Apple HomePod for example. Or almost anything else. Even Marshall has a WiFi speaker.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Michael:
Emil Jensen:

Hallo Michael,

Sonos, Apple HomePod for example. Or almost anything else. Even Marshall has a WiFi speaker.

Hmm, so they have a Wifi Speaker with battery?

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Michael:
Emil Jensen:

Hallo Michael,

When you take HomePod in account, you are just talking Wifi speaker, and if you want B&O to make a WIFI speaker please look at their webpage they have a very large range, also for cheap.

So you suggest that B&O should never make a Blu tooth speaker?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Emil, I think the general consensus here is that B&O could have done a lot better with the Beolit 20 than simply adding a charging pad on top.

What started out as the Beolit 12 with just horrible airplay connection, has been developed to the 15, 17, and now the 20.

They could have added Airplay2 function or Chromecast to it. You would then have the option to use it connected to power at home with WiFi, and Bluetooth on the run.

I convert a Beolit 12 to utilize Chromecast Voice assistance, so it shouldn’t be that hard for a big company.

But we all have different opinions about how the product should be made Big Smile

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Hallo Leosgonewild,

I follow you, and it is always good to see possible improvements.

But B&O also needs only Bluetooth devices, one thing is price but also many do not need wifi connection or even have it.

B&O make so many WiFi speakers, so I dont understand why many of you think that the Beolit should be also?

And Michael is saying that people will look elsewhere, and I am sincere when I ask to see an alternative? 

Also Beolit 17 won a test on AVSFORUM so clearly it is one of the best in the market, and just got better.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi everyone,

Going live now on YouTube - my Beolit 20 review video - please come and join me at https://youtu.be/bHjU4HyYwpg

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Oct 30 2020 2:12 PM

Emil Jensen:

When you take HomePod in account, you are just talking Wifi speaker, and if you want B&O to make a WIFI speaker please look at their webpage they have a very large range, also for cheap.

So you suggest that B&O should never make a Blu tooth speaker?

Dont be so upset. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine is that the Beolit 12 could be so much more. A universal portable device with bluetooth and wifi for simple connectivity and EASE. It would be another product to help people come into a nicer solution with multi room, casting and sending audio without the annoying "pairing" step in between. 

The other B&O devices that can utilize wifi for sound is much more expensive, at least the only one with a battery. I love the Beolit sound and form factor so for me it would have been a top contender if it added wifi. Sonos move for example is a great example and there is tons of speakers with both wifi and bluetooth. If you dont believe me, just use google and look for yourself.

I just don't see why not to include wifi in a device at this sound quality, size and price point. It would make so much sense and now it is just a missed opportunity. Bluetooth is "OK" but still only 4.2 and for me the really annoying thing with Bluetooth is that it will remember the different connected devices and be paired to several simultaneously. This is good when you are ONE user using one device at a time, but when you have friends or family then the speaker will stop as soon as someone types a single digit on an android phone or someone gets a text message etc. It is really annoying and is a constant issue when my friend have parties at his place with a BeoPlay A1. It sounds great - until someone accidentally play a sound and it stops whatever it played. 

Bluetooth isn't either very high res, and it requires a device to continously stream to it. With wifi it would be possible to use without having to send audio from a device as it could pull it from the network itself. I use sonos for that every day now, just press play and I get my classical morning radio. No phone needed.

And with Homepod and homepod mini there is an agressive selling point with siri assistant and integration with homekit etc. I mention it as I think it will be a strong rival to other speakers, including B&O. So launching a simple bluetooth speaker today in the form factor, and concept that BeoLit is.. its just stupid. Its meant to be plugged in and be portable when you want to bring it with you. It could be both beneficially and now sadly it is not.

And, dont forget if it had wifi that you wouldnt have to go up to the unit itself and first turn it on, it would just always BE on - ready to play whatever.

The more I think about it the more frustrated I get that B&O didn't realize a wifi solution for it. I mean, even the first Beolit 12 had wifi and airplay. It was before its time but it was awesome!  

Page 1 of 2 (62 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS