Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovision 7 digital tuner post-upgrade - Board minimum revision?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav Posted: Sun, Aug 16 2020 8:51 PM

Hi! Have a Beovision 7-40 (720p) which only have the analogue tv-tuner module but understand it's possible to upgrade the tuner to digital tuner. But, remember I read another posting that a fellow forum user had issues with early version of the digital tuner due to it's not compatible with newer digital signals (to put it in simple wording). So my questions is, which version/revision should one ensure to get to make sure that the the BV7 will actually work with digital broadcast?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Will be hard to get the upgrade stuff nowadays (and if, very expensive).

Go for an external tuner and get the tv PUC’ed for that instead, would be my advice.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Mon, Aug 17 2020 8:53 AM

No problem I can get hold of the board but want to make sure that's it has the minimum hardware revision to ensure that it supports DVB-C (on ComHem cable). If the case is then of course that the card won't work out I'll go for external box; being in Sweden any suggestion for box to be used? ComHem make use of Humax CXHD-6000C.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

As far as I know, it is not just a matter of the physical board, but also the firmware of the tv, that probably/maybe needs to be updated.

The Humax-box will probably be better anyway - and if you are lucky there might already be some Humax codes in the PUC-list that could do the job.

Please report back - how you get along.

MM

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Mon, Aug 17 2020 10:02 AM

Ok, going to look into both tracks then and regarding firmware update I'm able to get that done as well, it's just a matter of ensuring that the board is new enough to cope with current DVB standards. But, I'll report back.

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Tue, Aug 25 2020 8:50 PM

Right, upgrading the BV7-40 with DVB-C2 Mk2 board which support mpeg4 worked out fine (beside the DVB board two chips had to be replaced including software upgrade to ensure that the TV was at the latest level.) so this old tv has now been updated to work with Comhem digital cable (even if they want you to pay for the HD channels....) but at least the 720p came in handy for the Apple TV which was connected using external hdmi to YPbPr converter box which then connects to the BV7 using the YPbPr connectivity. Got to say that the image was far better than I expected.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Glad to hear that this worked out well.

However, interested readers should know, that it will be difficult to get hold of these needed parts and it will require a bit of skill also to get the tv updated.

But interesting to hear that it is possible.

MM

marilovesbeo
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

I also had the same issue with the digital tuner and could not for the life of me fix it... I suggest you do what others have said and go with the external tuner, it will save you a lot of time

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Wed, Aug 26 2020 9:48 PM

With the right components in hand this upgrade takes 30-60 minutes and if you're in south Sweden and interested in this modification I'll recommend you to get in touch with beoxperten and he would be able to help you out with such upgrade.

Another good outcome of this was that the TV's menu's visual improved a lot since they'll now shown through the digital module and the text is super crisp in the same way as the newer Beovisions but didn't realise for older BV7's.

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member

I am in Stockholm and have just noticed MPEG2 transmissions have ceased in favour of MPEG4. My BV7/40 is now pretty useless as a result. Can I ask what you paid for the board conversion? Is it worth doing? Tack.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS