Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MMC2/SMMC2 Tracking Issues

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

BeoJosh
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 89
Bronze Member
BeoJosh Posted: Tue, Sep 28 2021 12:41 AM

I have a Beogram TX2 I recently bought new in box, with a new, unused MMC2 cartridge. After moderate use over 1-2 months the suspension in the cartridge failed. While disappointing, this wasn’t unexpected given that it’s 35 years old, and I replaced it with a new Soundsmith SMMC2.

Prior to the suspension failing on the MMC2, I was having some tracking issues on certain records that I subsequently chalked up to the failing suspension. But after installing the SMMC2 and ensuring it’s at the recommended 1g tracking force, I’m having the same issues with tracking on some less than perfect records that my Elys 2 cartridge on a Rega Planar 3 has no problems tracking. The Elys 2 has a 1.75g tracking force, but given that cartridge is less than half the cost of an MMC2/SMMC2, I’m a bit surprised the SMMC2 doesn’t track as well. 

The sound of the MMC2/SMMC2 is quite good, but is it known to have tracking issues at the recommended tracking force? Is it simply a matter of having a lower tracking force? Is there any other adjustment I can do to improve tracking, or a slightly higher tracking force that won’t harm the stylus or records? I’ve read that the MMC1/SMMC1 has slightly better tracking, but is it so much better that it’d be worth upgrading after I’ve just purchased the SMMC2?

Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated.

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Level x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3, Beosound 9000, Beogram TX2, Beogram 6500 White Edition, 4000c (on order), Beoremote One x8, Beoremote Halo x3, BLC NL/ML
Beoplay H95 x3, Beoplay EQ x2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay E8 Sport, Beosound A1 x2

BeoJosh
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 89
Bronze Member
BeoJosh replied on Wed, Sep 29 2021 10:30 PM

I think I’ve diagnosed the issue, and it isn’t with the cartridge. I hadn’t noticed before, but the tonearm on my TX2 is slightly higher than the speed indicator arm, so I think the tonearm isn’t lowering enough on my older (non-180g) records, making very light contact with the vinyl.

I see in the service manual how to adjust the tonearm so it’s the same height as the speed indicator arm, so it should resolve the issue, BUT…it doesn’t show me how to access the tonearm adjustments. Before I go taking apart my TX2, does anyone have any advice or can point me toward instructions for removing the dustcover and accessing the tonearm adjustments? Thanks!

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Level x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3, Beosound 9000, Beogram TX2, Beogram 6500 White Edition, 4000c (on order), Beoremote One x8, Beoremote Halo x3, BLC NL/ML
Beoplay H95 x3, Beoplay EQ x2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay E8 Sport, Beosound A1 x2

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS